Favorite animal?

BAMF

Just this last week, I was working on a history project with my bff, James. Of course we got off topic and ended up looking up different dog breeds and deciding which ones we thought were cutest/most beautiful. I think I died of cute overload. Then we moved on to animals in general.

I'm now curious to know what y'alls' favorite animals are and why? (It's just an interesting thing to know about another.)

Mine:

Dolphins. Who could NOT smile when they hear a dolphin? Such a joyous creature. So joyous and beautiful, in fact, that I want to swim with them one day (even though I'm terrified of the water)!

dolphin.gif

Can't you just hear it laughing?

Bears. When I was in kindergarten, I played with the same toy everyday, a little yellow plastic bear. Not quite sure what it is about them, they just seem very peaceful. I've also always wanted to cuddle with a bear. They look so huggable when they're not baring their teeth!

alt2598m.jpg

You look lonely, Mr. Bear. :unsure: :hug: :lol:

Kittens. Need I say more?

hugging-kittens.jpg

Tigers. Similar to bears, just wanna hug 'em. Also, had an imaginary tiger friend when I was a youngin. I think a tiger would be a badass sidekick.

tiger-01.jpg

Screw lions, tigers are where it's at.

Honorable mentions: Monkies (gorillas), goats, giraffes, dogs (of course!), snakes...okay, I love all animals.

Somebody take me to the zoo. :cry: :baby:

(woops, got a li'l carried away...ah, well)

Edited by Kori

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kori; I think the best pets are dogs. Ayn Rand had cats most of her life here in the US. My aunt had cows on her farm and while they are not the smartest animal they have a quit dignity about them. My aunt owned Gurnseys a breed that is getting rarer. Most cows are now Holsteins the black and white spotted ones. Gurnseys give more butter fat.

Chris and blackhorse, dogs are just a given. Who doesn't like dogs? What about other animals, or what's your favorite kind of dog? Besides my own doggy, my favorite breeds are labradoodles, german shepherds, doberman pinschers, cockapoos, and siberian huskies/alaskan malamutes (it's a shame they shed so much).

Dogs - particularly Weimaraners and mongrels. My sister has a Weimaraner called Flo and she is absolutely adorable. I love that dog to bits and I do believe that she loves me to bits too :D

Cheetahs - I just love how fast they can run - they're an amazing physcial running machine.

Furry bunnies - their fur is so soft that stroking them sends me into ecstasy.

Dolphins and whales because they're so intelligent.

Guinea-pigs - cute, vocal and funny.

Duck-billed Platypus - they're monotremes: egg-laying mammals - only 3 species of monotremes left on the planet which makes them pretty unique as well as rather odd.

Gorillas

Snakes, except for poisonous ones (for obvious reasons).

The strange, weird, odd-ball ones that make you wonder how the heck they evolved.

If we're including fish: coelocanths - that is one evolutionary success story!

If we're including amphibians: frogs. We had some in our pond when I was a kid and I used to pick them up and put them on the side of the pond. I also enjoy listening to and watching them.

I also really like earthworms - and seeing as my life depends upon them - most insects.

Edit - corrected my spelling of gorillas - couldn't remember how to spell it last night and my quick check didn't help me.

Edited by Fran

Fran, I love whales too, but I am terrified of them (and all oceanic creatures...and the ocean) at the same time. Also, how could I forget bunny fur? It's ridiculous how soft it is. And why does your life depend on insects? I used to love insects and would catch them all the time: wasps, crickets, cicadas, lightning bugs, etc. I once even caught a praying mantis! So cool! I'll tell you one insect I'm TERRIFIED of: grasshoppers. Once, after coming home from school, I noticed a grasshopper on my garage door near the thing where you push in the code. There was NO way I was going near that but I couldn't remember the code to the other door, so I went to my neighbors house to call my mom and ask her for the code. Yeah, I'm less afraid of being murdered by my neighbor than I am of grasshoppers. LOL.

What animals are y'all scared of?

Dragonfly, how dare ye! LOL. Why do you hate dogs? And what animals do you LIKE? Also, lmao about "guerillas."

Definitely: cats.

I don't hate dogs quite as much as Dragonfly but I certainly don't think of them as man's best friend. Walking running or biking or hiking a strange dog can be your worst enemy. And I've watched a dog kill a cat, perhaps the ugliest thing I've ever witnessed. Most dog owners are too dumb to learn how to control their dogs.

Otherwise, I like all animals. Anything I could capture when I was a kid I was fascinated by. I raised tadpoles, kept cocoons in a jar until they opened to see what they became, had an antfarm, raised crickets, captured snakes of all kinds (not the rattlesnakes we have around here), chickens, rabbits, we had several cats. Where I grew up we had these tunnel spiders. One summer I fed one with flies I caught out of the air and threw into his(her) web. By the end of the summer it was about half dollar sized, had a huge "pantry" of wrapped up flies stored away and used to run out of his tunnel to the middle of his web and wait when I walked up. Most animals (even very primitive ones) have an innate learning capacity. I had a small microscope that I examined insects and parts of plants with. It had a little mirror used for illumination. It was perfect for outside on a sunny day hiking around finding things to look at.

Nice topic.

Dang, Mikee, you're a regular outdoorsman. I'm gettin' all nostalgic now, reminiscing about when I used to catch bugs. One time a friend and I took a giant jar outside and caught about 150 crickets in it. It was amazing. The only reason we stopped was because it was time for dinner. :( Wish we could have caught 1,000!

That's really amazing that the spider would wait for you. I'm quite freaked out by spiders (more than wasps? lol), but I hate it when people say that they wish all spiders were dead. I just want them out of my HOUSE! lol. Silverfish, on the other hand, are quite good roommates. A bunch of them show up in my bathroom and just hang out. I should probably do something about it, because it may seem kinda gross to have bugs hanging around in your house, but they're really cool and I don't wanna kill 'em!

Ah, how I miss the days of hiking through the woods with my friend Paulie, fake wooden swords in hand to push brush out of our way. I used to be an adventurer, but when you're a 17-year-old girl nobody really wants to go on a jaunt through the woods.

*feels like being a zoologist*

As for dogs, I have never met a vicious dog in my life. They are almost all very sweet, but can be protective of their owners. Although I LOVE cats, most of the ones I have met have been big bitches. But there is a cat that hangs out outside my house and we feed her, and she's the sweetest cat I've ever met. She is always waiting at the garage when I come home and she rubs her face all over my hands. Maybe she's just itchy and hungry though. LOL.

I'm now curious to know what y'alls' favorite animals are and why? (It's just an interesting thing to know about another.)

Dogs. They're probably the purest souls on the face of the earth.

As far as favorite breeds -- Great Dane, Mastiff, French Bulldog, Newfoundland, Canaan Dog, Greyhound.

Bears -- Yeah, Kori, I, too would love to cuddle them! I love the polar bear exhibit at the Oregon Zoo. The big male swims laps -- does the breast stroke and the back stroke in rotation -- and entertains people by wearing the milk carton crate on his head and doing various other things. There's a little educational sign that says, "He knows his nose shows!" that says that polar bears will sit by a seal's air hole patiently for hours, with their paws over their noses, knowing that their dark noses can be seen below the ice. They're fascinating animals and, despite their cuddly appearance, definitely at the top of the food chain. They're so well insulated that snow doesn't melt on their backs.

Whales. As Chris said about cows, they have a quiet dignity as well as a vastness that appeals to me.

Horses. In addition to being a symbol of freedom everywhere, they're a joy to ride, and the big ones also have that quiet dignity. Standing quietly at night and listening to a horse eat is one of the most peaceful experiences I can imagine.

There aren't any animals I dislike, although I'm repelled by worms. (I know they have a place in the ecosystem, and I wish them well; I'm just put off by their appearance. Maybe it's that some worms are parasites.) The exceptions, of course, ARE the parasites; death to them all! (And don't preach to me about ecosystem balance, etc.) Nuke the roundworms, and the tapeworms, etc.

I also used to collect little critters when I was a kid -- especially frogs and toads and turtles. I wish my parents had talked me out of it -- the little critters mostly didn't survive, except the ones I let go, and those were mostly in a weakened state. I tried, of course, but it's hard to keep animals like that healthy in captivity. None of my caterpillars ever cocooned, none of my cocoons ever became butterflies. I adored snakes -- I still like them -- but my parents never let me have one.

I like watching lightning bugs -- they're happy-looking. And in the winter, for some reason, ladybugs gather in my house to avoid the cold. I've seen as many as 12 at once on the bathroom wall some days. Some web research indicates that they're attracted to dark-colored houses. I tried to find out what I could feed them to get them through the winter, but it turns out they're mostly carnivores, feeding on other little insects. They're welcome winter visitors, and the cleaning people have standing instructions not to molest them, but they mostly all die by spring.

I like walking on the beach and finding little creatures. Now, of course, I make sure the live ones find their way back into the ocean. Teeny baby clams are fascinating; they live in shallow tide pools that appear at low tide. They burrow under the sand so that they're invisible, and all that appears is a little tiny tube above the sand in the water.

Judith

I am a dog person. I have had many dogs as pets over the years, and that would include a German Sheppard, a Doberman, Russian Wolf Hound and Husky and...

Each and every dog I had exhibited personality and loyalty—what a beautiful animal. A favorite song of mine is Old Shep—it’s about a boy and his dog. :puppeh:

-Victor

Edited by Victor Pross

I am a dog person. I have had many dogs as pets over the years, and that would include a German Sheppard, a Doberman, Russian Wolf Hound and Husky and...

You've had a Borzoi? Cool! I was debating about adding them to my list, but since I don't really know much about them except to admire them from afar, I left them off.

What are they like? I've heard that they're kind of aloof. I watched the video of the Westminster judging of them this week; they're so beautiful!

Judith

You've had a Borzoi? Cool! I was debating about adding them to my list, but since I don't really know much about them except to admire them from afar, I left them off.

What are they like? I've heard that they're kind of aloof. I watched the video of the Westminster judging of them this week; they're so beautiful!

Judith

The one that I had, a white haired bitch (you know what I mean) was a real friendly doll. Her name was Trish. This is when I lived in Vancouver B.C. in “cow land” and I had plenty of spacious lawn and a kettle for a few of my dogs. Yes, you can call me a dog lover. Angie is a cat lover, so I’ll need to convert her. :turned:

edit:

Three Dobermans: Dusty, Baron and Max. :)

One German Shepard: Shep. :)

Edited by Victor Pross

There aren't any animals I dislike, although I'm repelled by worms. (I know they have a place in the ecosystem, and I wish them well; I'm just put off by their appearance. Maybe it's that some worms are parasites.) The exceptions, of course, ARE the parasites; death to them all! (And don't preach to me about ecosystem balance, etc.) Nuke the roundworms, and the tapeworms, etc.

I like watching lightning bugs -- they're happy-looking.

There aren't any animals I dislike either. But I LOVE worms. They're so cool. I feel sad whenever it rains and I see a bunch of 'em smashed on the pavement. And I've seen people deliberately stomp on them! Bastards!

I LOVE watching lightning bugs as well, but there seem to not be many around anymore. I remember being outside every night in the summer...it was so humid. And after running around for a while, just watching the lightning bugs. *gets kind of sad* Man, I miss 'em.

Another thing I love...that locust sound. So weird.

Each and every dog I had exhibited personality and loyalty—what a beautiful animal. A favorite song of mine is Old Shep—it’s about a boy and his dog. :puppeh:

-Victor

You lucky bastard! You've had THREE of the dogs I want. I've only had one dog, Kacee. She's about 15 and I think she won't be here much longer. :unsure: Who will I make funny noises at and say weird things to when nobody's around?

Did your german shepherd shed a lot? I need to know that kind of thing...I can't stand hair all over my stuff!

I’m not going to feed you a lot of dog poop, Kori—dogs need love and lots of care, and yes, a German Shepard can shed. You won’t have that problem with a Doberman though. They are not the "monster dog" they are made out to be, not unless trained to be that way. My dogs were lovable sucks. :rolleyes:

I'm a diehard cat lover and always will be. But here is my baby kitty now. His name is Jengo. As for the conversion, not too sure about that one as I've also had dogs in my family at some point or another and know about all the tinkling excitement pees and stains on the carpets, having my heels chewed off my pumps, having an extremely expensive law dictionary torn to shreds, required walks every day, the begging for food when you're eating, holes being dug in the backyard. I can keep going on. But while having dogs in the house, there have been cats as well and they can get along very lovingly as I have some great shots of Saffron (dog) and Maugwy (cat) together. One great shot of Saffron's drooling tongue getting ready to lick Maugwy's face and Maugwy was totally oblivious to this fact at the time. It was a great pix of them together. If I am ever converted, it would either be a tiny little dog or one that is just absolutely huge, although I do like wolves. But at any rate, here is my baby kitty Jengo. :heart:

th_yes1.jpg

th_yes2.jpg

th_yes.jpg

*goes into cute overload mode* Awww, the fluffy wuffy...*other words that are not understandable*

Seriously, what a cute cat, he looks so soft! I'm jealous. I used to have a cat, but we had to give her away because she peed everywhere. Now we just have this replacement stray. I named her Green Lantern because of her green eyes, but I usually end up just calling her Kit Kat. LOL.

As for dogs, I luckily don't have any pumps for my dog to chew up (what an image!). She does, however, get into my Easter candy. *feels like a hog* :lol: She's also eaten some of my money and my community service form!

Edit: Upon closer inspection of that last pic, I can hear Jengo saying, "Waaaaaaassssuuuuuuuuuup!" :lol:

Edited by Kori

Definitely: cats.

I don't hate dogs quite as much as Dragonfly but I certainly don't think of them as man's best friend. Walking running or biking or hiking a strange dog can be your worst enemy. And I've watched a dog kill a cat, perhaps the ugliest thing I've ever witnessed. Most dog owners are too dumb to learn how to control their dogs.

Otherwise, I like all animals. Anything I could capture when I was a kid I was fascinated by. I raised tadpoles, kept cocoons in a jar until they opened to see what they became, had an antfarm, raised crickets, captured snakes of all kinds (not the rattlesnakes we have around here), chickens, rabbits, we had several cats. Where I grew up we had these tunnel spiders. One summer I fed one with flies I caught out of the air and threw into his(her) web. By the end of the summer it was about half dollar sized, had a huge "pantry" of wrapped up flies stored away and used to run out of his tunnel to the middle of his web and wait when I walked up. Most animals (even very primitive ones) have an innate learning capacity. I had a small microscope that I examined insects and parts of plants with. It had a little mirror used for illumination. It was perfect for outside on a sunny day hiking around finding things to look at.

Nice topic.

Mikee,

There were several dogs in the house at one point, Saffron, Bear, and Cally. I had an adorable baby angora bunny. Well, not a pretty sight at all when you come home and one of the dogs has your baby bunny dead in its mouth. The dog even tore his cute little furball of a tail off. So sad. Of course, training, etc., but dogs are not one of my favorite animals to keep as a pet. I don't mind playing with them, loving on them, etc., as I've had quite a few friends that have them. But a dog wouldn't be my choice as a pet.

But...but...honey...look:

alt2598m.jpg

I like the bear. He's adorable !! I like animals very much and like dogs but would be reluctant to keep one as a pet of my choice. Although I did say that if I chose one as a pet, it would either be a tiny one or one that is just absolutely huge. I've had numerous animals as a kid. I've had cats, bunnies, dogs, turtles, guinea pigs, butterflies, fish, a bird, hamsters, mice, rats, a few lizards, and others. I was one of those kids that would bring animals home all the time.

So don't get me wrong, I like animals, very much so. It's just I've been around the animal block and have narrowed down my choice of pets to being a cat. My baby kitty now was a rescued Persian and I wouldn't want it any other way, although my previous cat Boomer was a bengal with extraordinary markings such as pictured here.

madison5-02.jpg

I'll look for some pix of the types of very small dog or very large dog I would choose if I wanted one as a pet.