Sign in to follow this  
BaalChatzaf

This scene still gives me goose bumps....

The best horror movie of all time? Condensed dialogue from “The Sixth Sense.”

Cole Sear: I'm ready to tell you my secret now.

Dr. Malcolm Crowe: Okay.

Cole Sear: Come closer.

Cole Sear: I see dead people. They don't know they're dead.

Dr. Malcolm Crowe: Where are they?

Cole Sear: Everywhere.

Cole Sear: Stuttering Stanley!

Stanley Cunningham: Excuse me.

Cole Sear: You talk funny when you went to school and you talk funny all the way to high school! Stuttering Stanley! Stuttering Stanley! Stuttering Stanley! Stuttering Stanley! Stuttering Stanley! . . . .

Stanley Cunningham: SHUT UP . . . YOU. . . FREAK!

Cole Sear: She wanted me to tell you she saw you dance. She said, when you were little, you and her had a fight, right before your dance recital. You thought she didn't come see you dance. She did. She hid in the back so you wouldn't see. She said you were like an angel. She said you came to the place where they buried her. Asked her a question? She said the answer is . . . 'Every day.' What did you ask?

Lynn Sear: Do . . .  Do I make her proud? 

“Next!”  Is there such a thing as destiny, fate, or causal *determinism*? I saw a movie tonight on Netflix that explores those themes and the answer is “No.” *Volition* exists and it matters. The movie was “Next,” with Nicolas Cage. But you need to suspend your disbelief as Edgar Allen Poe said and accept one basic premise; the character’s ability to know what is going to happen in the very near future. But can he change what is to occur?   

From Wikipedia. ”Next”: Las Vegas showroom magician Cris Johnson has a secret which torments him: he can see a few minutes into the future. Sick of the examinations he underwent as a child and the interest of the government . . . .” end quote

The movie is Science Fiction and it is intelligent and riveting. Any Fan of Rand, any scientist or any determinist should watch that movie and ask themselves “Where does the plot go wrong?” Peter

Notes. Nicolas Cage's lineage includes Hollywood royalty, so he changed his surname to distance himself from his über-famous director uncle and to avoid the appearance of nepotism. His famous family's surname? Coppola.