Men On Strike ---Has Anyone Heard About This Book, Or, The Author?

Selene

http://www.marklevinshow.com/common/page.php?pt=Men+On+Strike&id=4003&is_corp=0

American society has become anti-male. Men are sensing the backlash and are consciously and unconsciously going "on strike." They are dropping out of college, leaving the workforce and avoiding marriage and fatherhood at alarming rates. The trend is so pronounced that a number of books have been written about this "man-child" phenomenon, concluding that men have taken a vacation from responsibility simply because they can. But why should men participate in a system that seems to be increasingly stacked against them?

As Men on Strike demonstrates, men aren't dropping out because they are stuck in arrested development. They are instead acting rationally in response to the lack of incentives society offers them to be responsible fathers, husbands and providers. In addition, men are going on strike, either consciously or unconsciously, because they do not want to be injured by the myriad of laws, attitudes and hostility against them for the crime of happening to be male in the twenty-first century. Men are starting to fight back against the backlash. Men on Strike explains their battle cry.

Men On Strike is available at Amazon.com.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard of this book. It offers an interesting thesis.

The simple fact is that both traditional masculinity and traditional femininity were basically sexually-differentiated altruism; men were expected to sacrifice themselves for King/Country/Career and women were expected to sacrifice themselves for Children/Family/Husband.

The Betty Friedan style of feminism (which is methodologically and culturally individualist) encouraged women to reject the altruistic demands thrust onto them and care about their own satisfaction and happiness. Women were encouraged to pursue careers (although, unlike with men, they were encouraged to pursue careers as a means to personal fulfillment and independence).

There is a small masculist/men's rights movement, but it hasn't nearly had the same effect on gender norms for men as the feminist movement had on gender norms for women. Men are where women were back in the 50's.

Since altruism is bad, I honestly think Objectivists should show support to the questioning of traditional ideas of masculinity. Few of Rand's heroes ever got married or had kids, and they were intellectuals (and intellectuals are typically socially emasculated by traditional norms). And all of that said, traditional masculinity is based on Platonic Essentialism, which is pretty much the opposite of Objectivism on a metaphysical and epistemological level.

I shocked that you two do not read my posts anymore! On my typo-titled SOLIST thread I discussed the fact that Unterkommando Bandler of the Swamp Squad not only has read it, he is the subject of it. It is a sad day when OLers are scooped by SOLISTS!

I shocked that you two do not read my posts anymore! On my typo-titled SOLIST thread I discussed the fact that Unterkommando Bandler of the Swamp Squad not only has read it, he is the subject of it. It is a sad day when OLers are scooped by SOLISTS!

Anymore?

Not to worry, Carol, I still read your posts.

Just keep the Canadian bacon coming!

Is Canadian Bacon just another slice of pork?

Just asking...

A...

Is Canadian Bacon just another slice of pork?

Just asking...

A...

I'd recommend you to my supplier, but I'm afraid she'd beat me over the head with a hocky stick for giving her more business.

We can't help it if our swine are meaner, leaner and more delicious than yours. Or fatter if that is what you like. We do not discriminate.

But, surely, the swine have formed a union. How do they decide on which will be eaten? Is it whichever decides to run for union president?

See you can't fool me, I know that this is an international political scam which is what I meant by another slice of pork.

Sort of like what Cory Booker of New Jersey is involved in with his phony start up.

As soon as Interpol cracks down on both of you, we shall see who gets the last laugh!

See you can't fool me, I know that this is an international political scam which is what I meant by another slice of pork.

Sort of like what Cory Booker of New Jersey is involved in with his phony start up.

As soon as Interpol cracks down on both of you, we shall see who gets the last laugh!

Not gonna happen, Adam. The swine have got my back (but I'm fairly certain that Carol's bacon is cooked), and they have reached deep into the tender loins of the political sphere.

FRATERNAL ORDER OF THE SACRED IGLOO Local 13

oOFFICE OF THE GRAND SHAMAN

CONFIDENTIAL

Dear Brother Adam,

Jeez guy what the h** are you doing? Lay off the public comments about international and Interpol! I don't care about what is going on in New Jersey except Claudine and me had a great time on our honeymoon at Action Park there eh - but anyway, you could seriously screw up the Secret Plan with this stuff so cut it out. I should not tell you this but we are near to a drive-through, I mean breakthrough agreement with those Porkers and we do not need any media heat.

Nanook says he will put you on Gone Rogue status and cut off your per diems if you do not cool it, and you know how he gets sometimes...

I know you are a big favourite with the Grand Shaman and all , but he has got lost again and nobody knows where he will turn up this time, so we will not be having Emergency Circle about you this time but be warned!

ISS

Gord

Asst. Shaman

Not gonna happen, Adam. The swine have got my back (but I'm fairly certain that Carol's bacon is cooked), and they have reached deep into the tender loins of the political sphere.

We shall see.

So Napoleon from Animal Farm has your back...bad mistake dude.

Some animals are more equal than others.

A...

oOFFICE OF THE GRAND SHAMAN

CONFIDENTIAL

Dear Brother Adam,

Jeez guy what the h** are you doing? Lay off the public comments about international and Interpol! I don't care about what is going on in New Jersey except Claudine and me had a great time on our honeymoon at Action Park there eh - but anyway, you could seriously screw up the Secret Plan with this stuff so cut it out. I should not tell you this but we are near to a drive-through, I mean breakthrough agreement with those Porkers and we do not need any media heat.

Nanook says he will put you on Gone Rogue status and cut off your per diems if you do not cool it, and you know how he gets sometimes...

I know you are a big favourite with the Grand Shaman and all , but he has got lost again and nobody knows where he will turn up this time, so we will not be having Emergency Circle about you this time but be warned!

ISS

Gord

Asst. Shaman

As long as I can dip my beak in the deal I shall remain mute. Sent from under da mattress.

If you have a car, have someone else start it...there is a war going on.

A...

We shall see.

So Napoleon from Animal Farm has your back...bad mistake dude.

Some animals are more equal than others.

A...

From each according to his flavor, to each according to his breed.

I'm a step above the tasty pigs; they don't have my grit.

Just don't tell them that.

What need do I have for intelligent pork?

Office of the Grand Shaman,

like there's anybody here except me to do anything, like always

Dear Brother Adam,

We have received your expense claim and explanations of the extreme circumstances in your Region that made you have to incur them. You know who is treasurer this year, the other Gord, he does not know his ulaq from his ilaq but he is the biggest cheapskate in town so he has been of great value to the Brotherhood.

I regret to inform you that as you cannot justify any tangible benefits to our Lodge from the $4,773.82 you spent for "networking" and "spreading basic principles" at Lennys Palace of Pain Best in the Tri-State Area, you will not be reimbursed until such time as you produce said tangibles.

The limited-series signed prints entitled "Dominate This!" however, will be considered as an investment for spreading our message and of course as a sign of our commitment to modern Art and culture, as soon as you send them here so we can look at them.

Oh, Manitou! They found him again, and guess who gets to tell him where he lives and take him home...

ISS

Nanook

Secretary and Grandmaster of the Dogs

As much as I am no fan of Carol's politics, I do have to thank Canada for the following things:

1) Maple syrup

2) Skinny Puppy

3) Front Line Assembly

4) Decoded Feedback

The book referenced in the OP sounds like a big crock of bullshit to me, and appears to be nothing more than a post-hoc rationalization of pansy-assery.

The book referenced in the OP sounds like a big crock of bullshit to me, and appears to be nothing more than a post-hoc rationalization of pansy-assery.

Indeed, it does not seem the type of work that would appeal to the husbands of highly-educated wives or the father of daughters as a good read. Its target market is men who have not got any wives or children at all, or had them and lost them, and need someone or something to blame.

And to Adam, in forestallment: I know that the legal system does seriously discriminate against men in many cases of family and divorce matters, and some criminal matters. And some of this is due to "overcorrection" influenced by feminism. But most of it is due to simple fact that the law is reactive and not proactive; it always lags behind the culture, because it must rely on precedent and interpret the letter and the spirit in the light of immediate circumstance as best it may. It is not an evil legal conspiracy engineered by the castrating Monstrous Regiment.

I do not know if Dr Mrs Dr Helen comments on this, but consider the wife shortage in India, which is the result of gender selection technology in obedience to an overarching cuturall misogyny and patriarchalism.

An entire generation is coming of age in which males outnumber females so significantly that many men will have to remain single unless they institute polyandry or marry outside their whole culture, nevermind their caste.

Stay tuned for many unforeseen consequences in Indian culture.