20 replies to this topic

#1 daunce lynam

daunce lynam

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 8,077 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, what else is there?

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

I grew up despising the lumpy blue-tinged inevitability I knew as the potato, but I have since learned to appreciate this useful though tragedy-tainted vegetable. I still don't like it in soups or chowders or in recipes except cheese-scalloped, but qua potato here is my top 5:

1. Baked, lotsa butter

2. New potatoes boiled

3. Mashed all to hell without even microscopic lumps

4. Fries very thin and non-potatoey, no gravy or ketchup

That's it. I know I said 5, sorry.

#2 william.scherk

william.scherk

William Scott Scherk

• Members
  • 2,108 posts
  • Interests:Fringe beliefs, pseudoscience, pseudophilosophy, fringe psychology, moral panics, cognitive neuroscience, Dusty Springfield, anthropology, evolutionary psychology, satanic ritual abuse/recovered memory therapy controversy, True Believers, cult dynamics, urban planning, 80s music, urban transportation, Grand Guignol, snarkiness . . .

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Oh, Carol, the pain of growing up spuddy in Nova Scotia  New Brunswick, all monoculture, scabby russets and lumpy grey mush. 

As you may or may not know, Bolivians love potatoes -- and they grow some of the oddest native varieties. Here is just a sample, from the website Ode to Capitalism ...

potatoes.jpg

I recommend to you the Bolivian 'black' potato -- the one that looks a trifle more scatological than the others. It is said to have  a crisp buttery flavour. Baked until the black skin turns brown, then crushed with a fork under a load of salted butter.  Sort of what Obama might taste like fresh off the pyre ...

That said, until you have tried my latkes, you have not tasted the glory of potato.

Edited by william.scherk, 13 February 2013 - 07:06 PM.

WSS on OL: Friends and Foes(blog) "The Google People"(video) Emotion BOFF: Jonathan
I haunt Twitter @wsscherk see also Facebook Youtube Soundcloud Syria Comment; Banned on SOLO
2013 Wikipedia pick Cognitive Biases | Dream Wet Lunch with Carol & Brant Phil Coates & Christopher Hitchens | Mood low to mid 50s | Weather Dire | Meyers-Briggs Indicator: Priestess

Book of the Year: A Tale of Two Metropolitan Statistical Areas

#3 jts

jts

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

#4 Ninth Doctor

Ninth Doctor

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 4,009 posts
  • Interests:Fiction authors: Umberto Eco, P.G. Wodehouse, Thomas Pynchon, Douglas Adams, Robert Heinlein

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

No hash browns? Home fries? German potato salad? Dumplings (also German).

What's the point of this thread? It sounds like something Comrade Sonia would come up with. Or no, she's almost exclusively fixated on bacon, never mind.
Prandium gratis non est

#5 daunce lynam

daunce lynam

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

Oh, Carol, the pain of growing up spuddy in Nova Scotia, all monoculture, scabby russets and lumpy grey mush. 

As you may or may not know, Bolivians love potatoes -- and they grow some of the oddest native varieties. Here is just a sample, from the website Ode to Capitalism ...

potatoes.jpg

I recommend to you the Bolivian 'black' potato -- the one that looks a trifle more scatological than than the others. It is said to have  a crisp buttery flavour. Baked until the black skin turns brown, then crushed with a fork under a load of salted butter.  Sort of what Obama might taste like fresh off the pyre ...

That said, until you have tried my latkes, you have not tasted the glory of potato.

I forgot latkes. I have nothing against potato flour. May I say that when I clicked on your biscuits on the other thread, I could smell them. Divine.

#6 daunce lynam

daunce lynam

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

No hash browns? Home fries? German potato salad? Dumplings (also German).

What's the point of this thread? It sounds like something Comrade Sonia would come up with. Or no, she's almost exclusively fixated on bacon, never mind.

NO. no hash browns or home fries, I hate potato salad...dumplings are other. What do you mean point? This is the Kitchen for galtsakes. Maybe I am trying to work out my feelings about Ma's relentless nutritionism vs. her rigid frugality , unleavened by any cooking talents, and its effects on my fragile childhood psyche...you insensitive brute.

If poor Sonia is fixated on bacon I hope it is Canadian bacon, she might still be saved.

#7 daunce lynam

daunce lynam

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

Bill, I have looked again and a lot of those rooters resemble what Uncle Leonard occasionally brought us from his farm. I had no idea he was so experimental.  They all tasted the same when cooked however.

Nova Scotia is not New Brunswick! Ten lashes with the Cat-o-Nine-Dulse for you.

#8 whYNOT

whYNOT

tony garland

• Members
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

I grew up despising the lumpy blue-tinged inevitability I knew as the potato, but I have since learned to appreciate this useful though tragedy-tainted vegetable. I still don't like it in soups or chowders or in recipes except cheese-scalloped, but qua potato here is my top 5:

1. Baked, lotsa butter

2. New potatoes boiled

Roast (soft and crisp) plus Yorkshire pud.

Rosti

Mash mash mash plus anything - spring onion, cayenne, garlic, and don't hold the butter.

Indian-style with turmeric.

"To know that we know what we know, and to know that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge". Nicolaus Copernicus (An original objectivist) 1473-1543 ***No man may be smaller than his philosophy...***

#9 daunce lynam

daunce lynam

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

1. Baked, lotsa butter

2. New potatoes boiled

Roast (soft and crisp) plus Yorkshire pud.

Rosti

Mash mash mash plus anything - spring onion, cayenne, garlic, and don't hold the butter.

Indian-style with turmeric.

O yes--roast,compliant with chcken or beef-----bread sauce and Yorkshired pud forever.----

#10 william.scherk

william.scherk

William Scott Scherk

• Members
  • 2,108 posts
  • Interests:Fringe beliefs, pseudoscience, pseudophilosophy, fringe psychology, moral panics, cognitive neuroscience, Dusty Springfield, anthropology, evolutionary psychology, satanic ritual abuse/recovered memory therapy controversy, True Believers, cult dynamics, urban planning, 80s music, urban transportation, Grand Guignol, snarkiness . . .

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

[Quoting Carol's number 3. Mashed all to hell without even microscopic lumps]

O yes--roast,compliant with chcken or beef-----bread sauce and Yorkshired pud forever.----

Rgghh.   I will issue myself a potato challenge (or as it would be said in Charlottetown, a budayduh challenge). I will take plain mashed potatoes inside a pastry shell and make it something other than a knish. 

You know what a knish is, dontcha? Ya just put potatoes and bread together and let them kiss ...

WSS on OL: Friends and Foes(blog) "The Google People"(video) Emotion BOFF: Jonathan
I haunt Twitter @wsscherk see also Facebook Youtube Soundcloud Syria Comment; Banned on SOLO
2013 Wikipedia pick Cognitive Biases | Dream Wet Lunch with Carol & Brant Phil Coates & Christopher Hitchens | Mood low to mid 50s | Weather Dire | Meyers-Briggs Indicator: Priestess

Book of the Year: A Tale of Two Metropolitan Statistical Areas

#11 Jonathan

Jonathan

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

I hate potato salad...

Well, Ninth did say German potato salad, which really isn't like other potato salads at all. Yum.

My list:

1. Loaded baked potato.

2. Chili cheese fries.

3. Potato oles bravo.

4. Lefse.

5. Ruffles with spinach dip.

J

#12 BaalChatzaf

BaalChatzaf

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 11,478 posts
  • Location:Currently residing in New Jersey, the Bad-a-Bing State.
  • Interests:mathematics, physics, alternative energy sources.

I am also involved in preparing recorded books for blind and dyslexic folks.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Baked.  I prefer Idaho potatoes,  baked so that the skin is a bit hard and crusty.  Mix the inside starch with yogurt and you have a good side dish.

Ba'al Chatzaf

אויב מיין באָבע האט בייצים זי וואָלט זיין מיין זיידע

#13 Jonathan

Jonathan

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

Baked.  I prefer Idaho potatoes,  baked so that the skin is a bit hard and crusty.  Mix the inside starch with yogurt and you have a good side dish.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Weird. I was expecting a scientific answer from you. Like, raw potatoes because they contain the most nutrients, or 328 gram Russets because they make the best potato batteries.

J

#14 daunce lynam

daunce lynam

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

I have been maligning my poor mother, who baked such sublime cookies and biscuits as bribes for eating the Things. Her potatoes were Julia Child's compared to what they served us at summer camp. It was a church camp so I guess the food was our penance for the fun we had.

#15 Jonathan

Jonathan

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Give me some of your tots!

#16 daunce lynam

daunce lynam

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

Altogether now, stomp, stomp, stomp! "I'm Bud the Spud..."

#17 BaalChatzaf

BaalChatzaf

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 11,478 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

Ba'al Chatzaf

Weird. I was expecting a scientific answer from you. Like, raw potatoes because they contain the most nutrients, or 328 gram Russets because they make the best potato batteries.

J

Raw potatoes taste like dreck.

#18 daunce lynam

daunce lynam

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

Ba'al Chatzaf

J

Yes they do, but not much better than cooked ones in  my experience.

#19 Reidy

Reidy

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, cooking, music, philosophy

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Favorite recipe is pommes paillason (hashbrowns) in Richard Olney's Simple French Food.  It's folded into the narrative rather than broken out as a recipe, but look in the potato section.

The technical stuff about rinsing and squeezing dry is important.  No need to peel them.  Be generous with the fat, and get it really hot before you add the potatoes.   Baking and boiling varieties are equally good.  He specifies butter which I've never used; olive oil, vegetable oil and duck fat are all good.  Consider adding finely minced onions, garlic, scallions or herbs.

#20 BaalChatzaf

BaalChatzaf

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 11,478 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

J

Yes they do, but not much better than cooked ones in  my experience.

You should get out more.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users