Clergymen Say The Darndest Things

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Mike82ARP

Mike82ARP

$$$

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Objectivism- in the open sense. Hydroponic gardening.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Since the idea of an original sin is completely incompatible with Objectivist premises, imo trying to 'marry' Christianity to the philosophy of Ayn Rand doesn't work. 

I was born a and raised a Roman Catholic but no longer belong to this church.

I have never been very religious (even as kid, I had certain doubts about elements of the catholic dogma). This has made it easier for me to finally leave not only Catholicism, but all other attachment to the Christian faith behind me.

Over the years, I have become an agnostic currently leaning more the the atheist side of the fence. 

The Jesus character is a good example to demonstrate what can happen in patchworking: let's disconnect, for illustration purposes, from the Jesus figure the idea of original sin, the idea of his resurrection from the dead, the idea of his being sacrificed to assuage the wrath of god ...  taken to the extreme, one might as well then drop the whole religous context that goes with the Jesus figure. Jesus will be 'humanized down' to such a degree that he resembles more a psychological guru than a godsend. 

Thank you for your thoughtful comment.  I will respond shortly in a PM as I am busy with my kids.

#42 Selene

Selene

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,826 posts
  • Interests:Chess, birding, football, baseball, minimalist backpacking, argumentation and debate, politics and philosophy, strategic board gaming, history, Rand, poetry, writing.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

Angela:

This has made it easier for me to finally leave not only Catholicism, but all other attachment to the Christian faith behind me.

This conflation with Catholicism and Christianity does not bear up.  However, I do understand your other arguments.

A...

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice..and moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

#43 Mike82ARP

Mike82ARP

$$$

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Objectivism- in the open sense. Hydroponic gardening.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

Angela:

This has made it easier for me to finally leave not only Catholicism, but all other attachment to the Christian faith behind me.

This conflation with Catholicism and Christianity does not bear up.  However, I do understand your other arguments.

A...

Agreed.   Having been raised in Roman Catholicism and leaving it as a teen, then 15 years later becoming a Christian (which is different than a Catholic), I can attest to the huge differences between the two.

#44 Selene

Selene

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,826 posts
  • Interests:Chess, birding, football, baseball, minimalist backpacking, argumentation and debate, politics and philosophy, strategic board gaming, history, Rand, poetry, writing.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

Angela:

A...

Agreed.   Having been raised in Roman Catholicism and leaving it as a teen, then 15 years later becoming a Christian (which is different than a Catholic), I can attest to the huge differences between the two.

Mike:

We share the same travels. 

My father was a Mason and was excommunicated by the Roman church in the 30's. 

My father was one of the most remarkable persons that I have ever known. 

When I made my "confirmation," being "allegedly" enlisted as a soldier in the army of God, which never made sense to me,

I then had to kneel before a drunk Irish priest to be slapped...well that was basically the breaking point for me.

I was then supposed to kneel before another human and be slapped by a drunk! 

That was it. 

Read Atlas about twp (2) years later and I have never looked back.

A...

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice..and moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

#45 BaalChatzaf

BaalChatzaf

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 11,395 posts
  • Location:Currently residing in New Jersey, the Bad-a-Bing State.
  • Interests:mathematics, physics, alternative energy sources.

I am also involved in preparing recorded books for blind and dyslexic folks.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Angela:

A...

Mike:

We share the same travels. 

My father was a Mason and was excommunicated by the Roman church in the 30's. 

My father was one of the most remarkable persons that I have ever known. 

When I made my "confirmation," being "allegedly" enlisted as a soldier in the army of God, which never made sense to me,

I then had to kneel before a drunk Irish priest to be slapped...well that was basically the breaking point for me.

I was then supposed to kneel before another human and be slapped by a drunk! 

That was it. 

Read Atlas about twp (2) years later and I have never looked back.

A...

That is perilously close to child abuse.

Ba'al Chatzaf

אויב מיין באָבע האט בייצים זי וואָלט זיין מיין זיידע

#46 Selene

Selene

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 15,826 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

That is perilously close to child abuse.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Bob:

I disagree completely. 

However, I can empathize with why you would advance that point of view, in light of the touchy "feely" parenting concepts that have arisen since my birth in 1946.

A,...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users