*Veterans Health Administration Update VA News Releases

Backlighting

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wary, Adam. I saw what you did to fragile Francisco on the Tora, Tora, Tora! . . . thread.

--Brant

lol.

I'm wary, Adam. I saw what you did to fragile Francisco on the Tora, Tora, Tora! . . . thread.

--Brant

Cute.

I am very undecided on a number of aspects of ante-bellum Pacific machinations.

And I am no FDR person.

A...

Because of the butt up by the two major Pacific powers with vastly different cultures--don't ignore racism--it would seem some kind of war was inevitable eventually. As for taking over Hawaii, we wanted it so we took it. The Philippines was going to be us or the Japanese for Spain wouldn't have withstood Japan. Japan got too big for its britches and saw its economy as secured by force and occupation instead of mere trade, albeit that would have been a dubious luxury for its lack of natural resources. About the only natural resource the US lacked was rubber, but a supply was secured before the war. (Germany Hitler went nutso when he thought the Romanian oil fields were threatened.) Now it's the US vs China. The Chinese military establishment needs to get educated about the US just as the Japanese needed to in the 1920s and 1930s. One reason we didn't have nuclear war with the USSR was there was enough back and forth on various levels including military to keep things calm enough. That's lacking so far with the Chinese military.

What's the role of "morality" in all this real-politic aside from getting people to fight and support the fight to the extent necessary to prevail? Well, we were a lot nicer to the Japanese prisoners we got our hands on than the Japanese were to any prisoners they got their hands on. The Batan Death March, an Austrialian getting his head chopped off, two American flyboys captured at Midway interrogated, tied to weights and thrown overboard, vivisection on Chinese if not et al. consequent to medical experiments.

--Brant

we made them nice people, but first we beat the shit out of them

Because of the butt up by the two major Pacific powers with vastly different cultures--don't ignore racism--it would seem some kind of war was inevitable eventually. As for taking over Hawaii, we wanted it so we took it. The Philippines was going to be us or the Japanese for Spain wouldn't have withstood Japan. Japan got too big for its britches and saw its economy as secured by force and occupation instead of mere trade, albeit that would have been a dubious luxury for its lack of natural resources. About the only natural resource the US lacked was rubber, but a supply was secured before the war. (Germany Hitler went nutso when he thought the Romanian oil fields were threatened.) Now it's the US vs China. The Chinese military establishment needs to get educated about the US just as the Japanese needed to in the 1920s and 1930s. One reason we didn't have nuclear war with the USSR was there was enough back and forth on various levels including military to keep things calm enough. That's lacking so far with the Chinese military.

--Brant

Understood.

The British were a power in the Pacific also.

We had a Venn diagram going on there.

Because of the butt up by the two major Pacific powers with vastly different cultures--don't ignore racism--it would seem some kind of war was inevitable eventually.

I know it existed.

THE FOLLOWING QUOTES ARE FROM THE HARVARD UNIVERSITY LIBRARY

OPEN COLLECTIONS PROGRAM

http://ocp.hul.harvard.edu/immigration/exclusion.html

In the First World War, Japan joined the Allied powers, but played only a minor role in fighting German colonial forces in East Asia. At the following Paris Peace Conference of 1919, Japan's proposal of amending a "racial equality clause" to the covenant of the League of Nations was rejected by the United States, Britain and Australia. Arrogance and racial discrimination towards the Japanese had plagued Japanese-Western relations since the forced opening of the country in the 1800s, and were again a major factor for the deterioration of relations in the decades preceeding World War 2. In 1924, for example, the US Congress passed the Exclusion Act that prohibited further immigration from Japan.

I forgot about the Exclusion Act...

Chinese Exclusion Act (1882)

The Chinese Exclusion Act was the first major law restricting immigration to the United States. It was enacted in response to economic fears, especially on the West Coast, where native-born Americans attributed unemployment and declining wages to Chinese workers whom they also viewed as racially inferior. The Chinese Exclusion Act, signed into law on May 6, 1882, by President Chester A. Arthur, effectively halted Chinese immigration for ten years and prohibited Chinese from becoming US citizens. Through the Geary Act of 1892, the law was extended for another ten years before becoming permanent in 1902

After the Gold Rush of 1849, the Chinese were drawn to the West Coast as a center of economic opportunity where, for example, they helped build the first transcontinental railroad by working on the Central Pacific from 1864 to 1869. The Chinese Exclusion Act foreshadowed the immigration-restriction acts of the 1920s, culminating in the National Origins Act of 1929, which capped overall immigration to the United States at 150,000 per year and barred Asian immigration.

The law was repealed by the Magnuson Act in 1943 during World War II, when China was an ally in the war against imperial Japan. Nevertheless, the 1943 act still allowed only 105 Chinese immigrants per year, reflecting persisting prejudice against the Chinese in American immigration policy. It was not until the Immigration Act of 1965, which eliminated previous national-origins policy, that large-scale Chinese immigration to the United States was allowed to begin again after a hiatus of over 80 years.

exclusion.jpg

A...

1926: Emperor Yoshihito dies. Hirohito becomes Emperor.

1927: Financial crisis arises due to run on banks caused by the 1923 earthquake

1928: Japan signs Kellogg-Briand Pact which advocates the settlement of international disputes without recourse to war

1928: Mass arrests of communists and other political activists.

1929: Economic panic.

1930: Naval disarmament treaty signed by U.S., Japan, Britain, Italy and France.

1931: Japanese stage a military takeover of Manchuria. Japan abandons the gold standard. Mukden occupied by Japanese troops.

1932: Puppet state of Manchukuo is established. Japanese troops occupy chinchow. Sino-Japanese hostilities at Shanghai.

1932: the Ministry of Education begins a school lunch program to combat child malnutrition. <<<<AH HA - here is the real reason!!!!

1933, Mar. 27: Japan withdraws from the League of Nations

1933: The USSR offers to sell C.E. Railway to Japan.

1934, Dec. 29: Japan cancels Washington naval treaty

1934: Pu Yi crowned as Emperor of the Empire of Manchutikuo. Japan's population exceeds 65 million.

1936, Nov. 25: Japan signs Anti-Comintern Pact with Germany

1936: coup attempt by military officers is foiled.

1937: Japan invades China, resulting in the deaths of millions of Chinese.

1937:League of Japanese Women's Organizations is founded. Japanese capture Shanghai. Nanking captured Dec. 13th.

1938: Japanese forces occupy Canton and Hankou.

1939: Japanese troops defeated by Russian troops in Mongolia.

1939: Religous Organizations Law extends government control over religious groups.

1940, Sept. 27: Japan, Germany and Italy sign the Tripartite Pact.

1940: The Olympics are cancelled, being originally scheduled to take place in Tokyo.

1940:Jazz performances are banned and Tokyo's dance halls are closed. Japan invades Indo-China and joins the Axis Pact.

1941, April 13: Japan and Russia sign a neutrality agreement

July, 1941: Japanese troops invade Indochina. In retaliation Britain, the U.S. and the Netherlands freeze all Japanese assets and put into effect an economic blockade. The oil supply for Japan becomes a problem; at the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor the Japanese possess only enough oil for a few weeks supply.

1941: Japan launches attack on Pearl Harbor and U.S. enters the war. Japanese army attacks Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaya.

1941: The Japanese government labels the war the "Greater East Asia War".

Because of the butt up by the two major Pacific powers with vastly different cultures--don't ignore racism--it would seem some kind of war was inevitable eventually.

I know it existed.

In the First World War, Japan joined the Allied powers, but played only a minor role in fighting German colonial forces in East Asia. At the following Paris Peace Conference of 1919, Japan's proposal of amending a "racial equality clause" to the covenant of the League of Nations was rejected by the United States, Britain and Australia. Arrogance and racial discrimination towards the Japanese had plagued Japanese-Western relations since the forced opening of the country in the 1800s, and were again a major factor for the deterioration of relations in the decades preceeding World War 2. In 1924, for example, the US Congress passed the Exclusion Act that prohibited further immigration from Japan.

I forgot about the Exclusion Act...

Chinese Exclusion Act (1882)

The Chinese Exclusion Act was the first major law restricting immigration to the United States. It was enacted in response to economic fears, especially on the West Coast, where native-born Americans attributed unemployment and declining wages to Chinese workers whom they also viewed as racially inferior. The Chinese Exclusion Act, signed into law on May 6, 1882, by President Chester A. Arthur, effectively halted Chinese immigration for ten years and prohibited Chinese from becoming US citizens. Through the Geary Act of 1892, the law was extended for another ten years before becoming permanent in 1902

After the Gold Rush of 1849, the Chinese were drawn to the West Coast as a center of economic opportunity where, for example, they helped build the first transcontinental railroad by working on the Central Pacific from 1864 to 1869. The Chinese Exclusion Act foreshadowed the immigration-restriction acts of the 1920s, culminating in the National Origins Act of 1929, which capped overall immigration to the United States at 150,000 per year and barred Asian immigration.

The law was repealed by the Magnuson Act in 1943 during World War II, when China was an ally in the war against imperial Japan. Nevertheless, the 1943 act still allowed only 105 Chinese immigrants per year, reflecting persisting prejudice against the Chinese in American immigration policy. It was not until the Immigration Act of 1965, which eliminated previous national-origins policy, that large-scale Chinese immigration to the United States was allowed to begin again after a hiatus of over 80 years.

exclusion.jpg

A...

Except for the first one those aren't my quotes. Interesting, of course.

--Brant

Here are five tax breaks that many military members are eligible for but rarely claim on their tax returns.

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/

Here are five tax breaks that many military members are eligible for but rarely claim on their tax returns.

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/

Having less of one's earnings confiscated is definitely worth a bump.

-J

31 rolls of undeveloped film from WW II soldier restored:

rescued-photo-film-project-world-war-2-s

This was one of my favorites from what was shown in the article...

http://www.earthporm.com/31-rolls-undeveloped-film-belonging-unknown-wwii-soldier-discovered-restored/

A...

Nice find Adam... nice restoration after all these years.

-J

The last photo seems to show some paratroopers because they're wearing jump boots with the pants legs tucked in.

--Brant

See, I would never have picked that up.

It was the "sanity" of having a coke like a normal civilian that caught my eye.

Supposedly, these photos were a kind of diary of this soldier's return trip home.

A...

The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA) announced yesterday that the remains of U.S. servicemen, missing in action from World War II, have been accounted for and are being returned to their families for burial with full military honors.

Army Air Forces 1st Lts. William D. Bernier of Augusta, Montana; Bryant E. Poulsen of Salt Lake City, Utah; Herbert V. Young Jr. of Clarkdale, Arizona and Tech Sgts. Charles L. Johnston of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Hugh F. Moore of Elkton, Maryland and Staff Sgts. John E. Copeland of Dearing, Kansas; Charles J. Jones of Athens, Georgia; and Sgt. Charles A. Gardner of San Francisco, California, have been accounted for and buried with full military honors. Jones will be buried Feb. 28 in Athens, Georgia and Johnston will be buried March 2 in Arlington National Cemetery. On March 18, there will be a group burial service at Arlington National Cemetery honoring Poulsen, Copeland and the other crew members. Bernier was buried Sept. 19, 2014, in his hometown. Young was buried Oct. 15, 2014, in Prescott, Arizona Moore was buried on Nov. 11, 2014, in his hometown. Gardner was buried on Dec. 4, 2014 in Arlington National Cemetery.

Read more at http://freedomoutpost.com/2015/03/airmen-missing-from-wwii-finally-accounted-for/#HmJU7Ohc6hPoQGlU.99

http://freedomoutpost.com/2015/03/airmen-missing-from-wwii-finally-accounted-for/

Adam, have you ever seen any stats of how many MIAs there are from the first Gulf War to the present conflict?

I'm certain our current Dictator-in-Chief isn't losing any sleep over it.

-J

Mar. 19, 2015. Groundbreaking Device Being Tested By VA May Put End to Pressure Ulcers

http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=2686

• 2 weeks later...

The man in uniform claimed to be a vet and was begging for money, and Garrett Goodwin had seen enough. Goodwin is an Army veteran who confronted an apparently fake one on the streets of Tampa on Monday. It happened at the intersection of Gandy and Dale Mabry, and the video has been seen by more than 1.8 million people on Facebook. The man is holding a sign that says he’s a homeless veteran and he needs help. It just so happens that Goodwin helps organizations who reach out to veterans in need, but minutes into the conversation, he says he knew something was up. “That’s my uniform! My brothers died in that uniform,” you can hear him say on the video. In fact, he told FOX 13 that he’s burying a friend — a Marine who died of cancer — and that’s one of the reasons why he reacted so strongly. “Take that and throw it away!” he screams at the man. “Don’t put it back on.” “I was angry. I was frustrated. I was sad,” Goodwin said. He isn’t the only one. The video has been shared by tens of thousands of people on Facebook. Goodwin, an Army medic for nine years, takes it personally. “Maybe one of the reasons I was so into this yesterday is tomorrow I’m burying a good friend who is a Marine…I’m putting that man in the ground tomorrow,” he said with tears in his eyes. “And I think that seeing this guy in uniform and wearing the uniform that my brothers and sisters have died in, it was more than I was willing to stand and take.” Goodwin says the man told him he was special forces, that “the government doesn’t know who I am.” His uniform, however, had a Junior ROTC patch. When he questioned the man, he said the panhandler couldn’t give any answers. We don’t know the identity of the panhandler. Goodwin said he called police to report the panhandling. Goodwin says the man crumpled up the uniform and rode his bike away from the scene. But Goodwin says it’s probably just a matter of time before the panhandler is out there again, and he didn’t want to stand by and do nothing. “Not on my watch. Not yesterday. Not today. Not tomorrow,” he said.

Read more at http://conservativevideos.com/take-that-uniform-off-veteran-confronts-man-wearing-army-uniform-begging-for-money/#zb64DfP2fcxZ2rbe.99

Take a ride on "Fifi," the last flying WW2 era B-29 Superfortress bomber.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/military/historic-bomber-touches-down-henderson-airport

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...