• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#81 whYNOT

whYNOT

tony garland

• Members
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:41 AM

Well, I never got to be a teenager and an Objectivist. I got to be a gifted teenager and an egoist though, and the problems teenage Objectivists are facing are not just because they don't understand the philosophy fully and seem religious.

John,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this sounds nothing like (rational) egoism, or Objectivism that I know (or want to know.)
All I've seen you express is petulant anger at everyone else - the fundamental definition of altruism, other-ism.
Know, and judge yourself, I'd suggest, before you take on the world.
Finding fault with everything else is objectively untrue - therefore, irrational - not to add, personally harmful.
Egoism leads 'naturally' to respect and good-will, if practised assiduously.
I'm sorry to see you heading in the opposite direction.

Tony
"To know that we know what we know, and to know that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge". Nicolaus Copernicus (An original objectivist) 1473-1543 ***No man may be smaller than his philosophy...***

#82 BaalChatzaf

BaalChatzaf

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 11,478 posts
  • Location:Currently residing in New Jersey, the Bad-a-Bing State.
  • Interests:mathematics, physics, alternative energy sources.

I am also involved in preparing recorded books for blind and dyslexic folks.

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:33 AM

Just having being introduced to Objectivism as a philosophy in life, I began to wonder; what is it like being a teenager and identifying with Objectivism? The more I read about it and the more information I gather, the more I see how identifying with and, furthermore, living this philosophy could be frustrating for teenagers surrounded by people who don't (for lack of a better term) "get it". So, what's it like? I would answer this question myself if it wasn't for me being completely and utterly new to the subject.

Your thoughts?

Teen Ages + cult-like movements may = trouble. Wanting to be John Galt may be like drinking the Kool Aid.

Ba'al Chatzaf

אויב מיין באָבע האט בייצים זי וואָלט זיין מיין זיידע

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users