Apocryphal sayings of influential thinkers

caroljane

Help would be appreciated in tracing the earliest known sources of the following putative utterings of the founders of today's three leading ideological movements. The latest source we have, Dr. W. Connolly of Barlinnie University, is considerably too late.

Mohammed: "Girls. GIRLS! You're not leaving the house dressed like that! Cover yourselves up, for Allah's sake!"

Jesus: "I can see yer mother's house from here."

Ayn Rand: "When you really think about it, Lennie's a lot cuter than Nate."

Research is being done under the aegis of the Heresology Deartment of the University of Irvine.

• 5 months later...

"Listen, before I buy you a drink, I want to know one thing: Will you sleep with me tonight?"

"You are worse than a WHORE!
You
got
me
to buy these sandwiches, and what am I going to get for it?
Nothing!
"

Richard Feynman

Oops, wait a minute, these aren't apocryphal.

"Listen, before I buy you a drink, I want to know one thing: Will you sleep with me tonight?"

You
got
me
Nothing!
"

Richard Feynman

Enerv

please 9th, I don't know anything about Feynman and can't tell if you're doing

Enervated Postmodern or True Confessions or what!

You
got
me
Nothing!
"

Richard Feynman

Enerv

You're supposed to be enjoying your confusion. Enjoy!

--Brant

You
got
me
Nothing!
"

Richard Feynman

Enerv

You're supposed to be enjoying your confusion. Enjoy!

--Brant

OK. What kind of sandwich, exactly?

The total bill was $1.10, she paid him back, then slept with him anyway. The story doesn't include identification of the sandwich type.

You haven't heard of Feynman? I guess you're not into bongo music. Do they even have bongos in Canada?

The total bill was $1.10, she paid him back, then slept with him anyway. The story doesn't include identification of the sandwich type.

You haven't heard of Feynman? I guess you're not into bongo music. Do they even have bongos in Canada?

Um, I think we have a couple but we call them Ulaqitukaroni.

I guess the Lesson for Ladies here is, never sleep with a genius physicist who is crazier than you are, or at least get your sandwich up front.

Enjoyably,

Carol

And I thought Objectivists were cheap!

Edited by daunce lynam

We prefer non-governmentally frugal verses cheap.

I guess the Lesson for Ladies here is, never sleep with a genius physicist who is crazier than you are, or at least get your sandwich up front.

He didn't disclose the woman's full name, and far as we know she enjoyed the encounter, so ladies, don't, in spite of Carol's advice, cross genius physicists (or bongo players) off your list of potential sex partners.

On the other hand, take Stephen Fry's memoir. In it he gives the full name of the upperclassman who "deflowered" him in boarding school, describing circumstances which amount to child rape. He goes on to share with the reader the man's current occupation, marital status and even what town he lives in, if I remember right. Lesson to 17-18 year old bullies, rape 13-14 year old boys and you may never hear the end of it.

He didn't disclose the woman's full name, and far as we know she enjoyed the encounter, so ladies, don't, in spite of Carol's advice, cross genius physicists (or bongo players) off your list of potential sex partners.

On the other hand, take Stephen Fry's memoir. In it he gives the full name of the upperclassman who "deflowered" him in boarding school, describing circumstances which amount to child rape. He goes on to share with the reader the man's current occupation, marital status and even what town he lives in, if I remember right. Lesson to 17-18 year old bullies, rape 13-14 year old boys and you may never hear the end of it.

Good for Stephen Fry. He joins Sheldon Kennedy and Theo Fleury, courageous men who named their exploiters in defiance of shame and silence.

But Feynman, good grief. Since we are going on his word, I'll accept that it was worthwhile for the lady in question.. but $1.10! well, OK, per minute or quantum second or whatever -- I guess that would work out.

I should add for those who do not recognize the reference: Kennedy and Fleury were not schoolboys but adolescent hockey players, who (along with many others) were raped and forced into submission by their influential coach, who controlled their careers and in effect their lives and those of their families. This man's name is well known in Canada, I will not soil this site with it.His crimes were eventually prosecuted and he went to prison, although not for long enough in my opinion, he is now out. Kennedy and Fleury have freed themselves from from what was done to them, as much as is possible, as has Stephen Fry.

Edited by daunce lynam

We prefer non-governmentally frugal verses cheap.

Quite right too. I was too hasty, it is only the rich Objectivists I thought were cheap, and I never met any of them . The poor ones were generous, just like regular poor people.

• 1 month later...

"There are so few of us, each one is precious...ultimately it will be a small, on=fire minotirty who will reinstate our freedoms, or instate them, probably by force while the sheeple are asleep."

==Lindsay Perigo

Apocalypse When?

Edited by daunce lynam

furthermore...

"I relish the battle and despise those who eschew it. I regard them as conventional, cowardly conformists who are substantially less than fully human..."

LP, ibid.

Whew!

I consent to chewing that conversational cud completely cause credibility clearly claims consistency.

furthermore...

"I relish the battle and despise those who eschew it. I regard them as conventional, cowardly conformists who are substantially less than fully human..."

LP, ibid.

Whew!

I consent to chewing that conversational cud completely cause credibility clearly claims consistency.

Ohyeah Adam, we all know your close affiliation with rams. ewes* and various kinds of kine...A+ for alliteration!

*American only of course as you have specified!

Edited by daunce lynam

">

furthermore...

LP, ibid.

Whew!

Ohyeah Adam, we all know your close affiliation with rams. ewes* and various kinds of kine...A+ for alliteration!

002e20kz.jpg

">

furthermore...

LP, ibid.

Whew!

002e20kz.jpg

nice, but I long to gaze upon your valiant troop of cauliflower sheeple again, and show the Antipodean Avenger that some of us will be awake! Let's be having them!

Antipodean - wow way above my pay grade!

Here is a very cool cauliflower sheep video

cauli_sheep.jpg?1204294521

Thanks! I was thinking of one you posted somewhere before, with maybe a tomato commanding the cauliflower troops (I think you said he was your uncle).Apocryphal I'm sure.The more meh-meh the merrier.

Contra LP and pro Bach I like to be where sheep may safely graze.

In all fairness I must add that in the clip, the Frugal Physicist does exhibit a certain animal magnetism.

Shame is a powerful. Especially as relates to children and teenagers. Very sad, this information. Makes me think even more fondly of Theo Flurry, for what he overcame.

In all fairness I must add that in the clip, the Frugal Physicist does exhibit a certain animal magnetism.

Shame is a powerful. Especially as relates to children and teenagers. Very sad, this information. Makes me think even more fondly of Theo Flurry, for what he overcame.

Theo is a real hero to many of us, and most especially because of what his speaking out may be preventing for other boys. His attacker is reportedly now facing new charges.