Half Horse; Half Man; Half Alligator

These are not objective examples, but bootleg of a culture dominated by humiliation and self-deprecation.

(SWIMMING MATCH) Swimming with Breca

"In any case it befell me that slew with my sword nine sea-monsters. I have not heard tell of a harder fight by night under heaven's arch, nor of a man more hard-pressed in the sea-streams. Yet I came out of the enemies' grasp alive, weary of my adventure." (34)

Earlier in the story, Unferth doubts Beowulf's abilities and says that Breca was a better swimmer than he was when they competed. Beowulf responds by pointing out all the monsters he killed. He goes into detail about the match and the difficulty of it. He and Breca were at sea for five nights in terrible weather, yet he managed to kill nine sea monsters. Beowulf then tells Unferth that he has not heard of anyone ever accomplishing as much as he has. When Unferth gives Beowulf Hrunting, he no longer doubts his abilities as a warrior and loses his reputation as a great fighter.

http://csis.pace.edu/grendel/projs1e/quotes.htm

Among the other characters bearing the name Aonghus are Aonghus Bolg, an ancestor of the Firbolg, also regarded as an ancestor of the Desi; a son of the Bodb Dearg; Aonghus Mac Aedh Abrat, brother of the goddess Fand, who sang to Cuchulainn on his sickbed and cured him from his sickness; and, lastly, Aonghus Mac Lamh Gabuid, a warrior who challenged Cet of Connacht during the bragging contest in the tale of Mac Da Tho's boar. He is described as tall and fair-haired. Cet cut off his father's hand and this is why Aonghus challenged him.

http://www.celtic.mythology.50megs.com/ao---ar.html

Edited by Michael E. Marotta