A Short Hello

Bosco

Hi everyone. My name is Tim Hopkins. I will confess to having watched these forums for years, and at this point I generally learn more by observing what goes on.

I am not well read in philosophy; I took philosophy and political science courses in the mid 90's, and forgot most of it, but was inspired by reading Ayn Rand, from whom I learned the importance of ideas and the value of liberty. My major departure from Ayn Rand's own views has to do with the legitimacy of the state, which is more common on this forum than I expected. I will say more later, but I wanted to introduce myself and wish everyone a happy holiday.

Welcome Tim,

I am eager to know just what you mean by your major departure from Ayn Rand regarding the legitimacy of the State?

I know you wrote that you will say more later so I will wait impatiently for you to reveal your position on the subject.

Your comment does bring to mind anarcho capitalism with competing protection agencies and no monopolistic authority "bound" by limits set in a constitution e.g. Article 1 Section 8.

That has proved to be a big success so far hasn't it?

I guess this is just the welcome thread so take your time.

galtgulch

Hi galtgulch, I'm not sure which you are referring to (facetiously, of course) as being a big success, market anarchism or constitutionally limited government?

At this point, neither, but my money would be on the former in the long run.

Hi galtgulch, I'm not sure which you are referring to (facetiously, of course) as being a big success, market anarchism or constitutionally limited government?

At this point, neither, but my money would be on the former in the long run.

Bosco,

If by "my money" you mean gold and silver coins then you have something in common with the more individualistic Founding Fathers than you may be willing to concede.

The implication of Ben Franklin's comment as he left the Constitutional Convention that they had created "a republic, if you can keep it" is that as time went on and it became evident in what ways their creation deviated from the vision the Founders shared, that future generations would have it in their power to correct the errors and find ways to protect individuals from an overreaching state.

For a review of the central banking in America I would suggest G. Edward Griffin's The Creature From Jekyll Island.

I still would place my money on our constitutional republic, rightly understood. It is time for the populace to be enlightened about the sophistry used to skirt the necessary and proper clause, to enlarge the commerce clause, to subvert the supremacy clause, all of which has led our country in the direction of tyranny and bankruptcy. I am confident that the antidote is known and that includes Objectivism.

gulch

Tim:

Welcome to OL. You stated that you are not well read in philosophy and many of us are not here on OL. Some are experts in philosophical readings. I think all of us gain from that mix in the arguments and discussions.

Where are you from?

Are you a worker slave for the state, or a student?

Adam

Tim:

Welcome to OL. You stated that you are not well read in philosophy and many of us are not here on OL. Some are experts in philosophical readings. I think all of us gain from that mix in the arguments and discussions.

Where are you from?

Are you a worker slave for the state, or a student?

Adam

Thanks Adam. I'm from Brantford, Ontario (yes, brrrr.). I work for a collection agency. Hopefully they will never put me on collections for government debts. In the 90's, I spent two years in college and 4 in university

.Tim

Bosco,

I still would place my money on our constitutional republic, rightly understood. It is time for the populace to be enlightened about the sophistry used to skirt the necessary and proper clause, to enlarge the commerce clause, to subvert the supremacy clause, all of which has led our country in the direction of tyranny and bankruptcy. I am confident that the antidote is known and that includes Objectivism.

gulch

A pretty common sentiment among market anarchists is that a strictly (constitutionally) limited government would be a immense improvement, however unfeasible it might be.