WTF: Amazon now selling Wikileaks cables

sjw

Reported by "The Register," with this update:

"The UK Kindle store now says that Duthel's book does not contain the actual cables, merely commentary and analysis. We will update this story further as we learn more."

Amazon is craven and cowardly. Especially when knuckling under to a weasel such as Lieberman. Yet I'm not sure a boycott is likely to do much good. Still, unlike Lew Rockwell and others, I'm not going to say it's a bad thing to do.

Anyway, you can read the cables yourself, at WikiLeaks' new address or (if that is disrupted) via Antiwar.com's link, which will direct you to the most recently updated mirror site.

(Out of over a thousand. As one commentator said, "The Library of Alexandria won't be burned down this time.")

Lew Rockwell said it'd be bad to boycott? Why?

Shayne

Not bad necessarily, but ineffective and confused. He points out that Amazon has helped people avoid sales taxes, and that they really are faced with the direct power of the State if they don't cooperate. They may be a bit cowardly, but libertarianism isn't a suicide cult. Even if they were libertarian, what can they do? Get sanctioned by Liebermen? How is that going to help WikiLeaks?

"Amazon is craven and cowardly. Especially when knuckling under to a weasel such as Lieberman."

You're assuming that there can be no valid reason, or that Amazon's management could not have been persuaded that there is a valid reason, for declining to host Wikileaks.

"Amazon is craven and cowardly. Especially when knuckling under to a weasel such as Lieberman."

You're assuming that there can be no valid reason, or that Amazon's management could not have been persuaded that there is a valid reason, for declining to host Wikileaks.

There's this thing called "burden of proof." Yeah, I know, it's a rusty old concept not used in our justice system anymore, but still, have some respect for the dead.

Shayne

There's this thing called "burden of proof." Yeah, I know, it's a rusty old concept not used in our justice system anymore, but still, have some respect for the dead.

Shayne

Oh, and don't prattle to me about "private company can ban who it wants"; Amazon is a branch of the US government, just like all big companies are in a fascist system.

Shayne

Oh, and don't prattle to me about "private company can ban who it wants"; Amazon is a branch of the US government, just like all big companies are in a fascist system.

Shayne

What branch of the U.S. government. The excutive? the judicial? or the legislative?

Ba'al Chatzaf

Shayne

What branch of the U.S. government. The excutive? the judicial? or the legislative?

Ba'al Chatzaf

Try soliciting the general public for investment in an idea of yours without obtaining expensive government permission and subjecting yourself to their authority (i.e., run your business by their rules) and see where it gets you. And that's only one of many reasons why big business should be considered a branch of the government. What branch? The corporate branch.

Shayne

Shayne

Ba'al Chatzaf

Try soliciting the general public for investment in an idea of yours without obtaining expensive government permission and subjecting yourself to their authority (i.e., run your business by their rules) and see where it gets you. And that's only one of many reasons why big business should be considered a branch of the government. What branch? The corporate branch.

Shayne

More like a twig of government and many of them.