My Father's Observation

CNA

My dad had an observation that made me bust up and just his interpretation and perception was classic and we all couldn't stop laughing....the visual that I got in my head when he ran it past me....WOW!!!

He said, "There's some people that are so stupid that if they could they would take their brain out and throw it on the ground to see what it would pick up."

I'm not sure if he picked up partially this from somewhere else and added onto it or if it was just straight his interpretation after observing someone do something utterly stupid. But it's a definite fave of mine and have been chuckling at it all day. Running the visual in my head of someone walking down the street with a blank comical look on their face, taking their brain out and throwing it on the ground, hearing a splat, their looking at it in amazement obviously brainless and then picking it back up to see if it picked anything up and newfound knowledge -- can't be quality that's for sure. LOL Ah, comic strips perhaps for the O'ists out there. I wanted to share a bit of the dark morbid sense of humor that runs in certain family members of mine.

Angie,

I have a friend in Brazil who gave his parents a very different kind of present. He tape recorded several days of interviews with them, then wrote two books, one for each of their lives. (I was working on trying to turn this into a miniseries for TV at the time. That's how I came to read these books.)

His father had participated in an armed revolution in the desert badlands of Brazil. He was a very interesting person and colorful as all get out. When I met him, though, he was very religious, so his discourse was not as interesting as the book. (He was always trying to save me.) But the book had a lot of cool stuff.

In the book, he told of a dream that kept recurring to him over the years. He was able to cut off his own head with a machete-like instrument, but keep watching somehow. Then he would chop the dismembered head in half with one fell swoop and scoop out the contents of each half with the machete-like blade. After that, he would put the shells back together and put his head back on.

I always thought this was rich in symbolism.

And I wonder if my friend's father ever met your father in some kind of alternate reality or something...

:)

Michael

My dad had an observation that made me bust up and just his interpretation and perception was classic and we all couldn't stop laughing....the visual that I got in my head when he ran it past me....WOW!!!

He said, "There's some people that are so stupid that if they could they would take their brain out and throw it on the ground to see what it would pick up."

I'm not sure if he picked up partially this from somewhere else and added onto it or if it was just straight his interpretation after observing someone do something utterly stupid. But it's a definite fave of mine and have been chuckling at it all day. Running the visual in my head of someone walking down the street with a blank comical look on their face, taking their brain out and throwing it on the ground, hearing a splat, their looking at it in amazement obviously brainless and then picking it back up to see if it picked anything up and newfound knowledge -- can't be quality that's for sure. LOL Ah, comic strips perhaps for the O'ists out there. I wanted to share a bit of the dark morbid sense of humor that runs in certain family members of mine.

Angie,

LOL! That is a great visual. I actually think that this might be a better way to use their brains than what most people call thinking—a more direct form of osmosis. Same consequences, but the outcome is more immediate.

Reminds me of the dialogue from Wizard of Oz;

Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.

Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?

Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

And the famous put-down: “If you had a brain, you’d play with it!” (Another great visual!!)

Or: “If you had a brain, you’d be dangerous.” (A dual put-down)

Any more one-liners from your dad? Are you going to tell us who he was referring to? I can think of any number of prominent statesmen of our day to whom it might apply.

Dennis

Angie,

I have a friend in Brazil who gave his parents a very different kind of present. He tape recorded several days of interviews with them, then wrote two books, one for each of their lives. (I was working on trying to turn this into a miniseries for TV at the time. That's how I came to read these books.)

His father had participated in an armed revolution in the desert badlands of Brazil. He was a very interesting person and colorful as all get out. When I met him, though, he was very religious, so his discourse was not as interesting as the book. (He was always trying to save me.) But the book had a lot of cool stuff.

In the book, he told of a dream that kept recurring to him over the years. He was able to cut off his own head with a machete-like instrument, but keep watching somehow. Then he would chop the dismembered head in half with one fell swoop and scoop out the contents of each half with the machete-like blade. After that, he would put the shells back together and put his head back on.

I always thought this was rich in symbolism.

And I wonder if my friend's father ever met your father in some kind of alternate reality or something...

:)

Michael

Hi Mike,

OMG, that visual is brutal..wow. The details, the details, the horror, the horror -- I may be traumatized now. LOL j/k But wow to that dream, and yes, rich in symbolism like you wouldn't believe and very telling how he possibly perceived himself to be.

I've been doing some thinking lately about writing and not just small stuff for posting, etc., but more extensive. Playing around with the idea. Hmmmm....your friend's father and my dad may very well have met at some point or another. It sounds like both may have gotten around. My dad and sister are the same, very colorful people.

Angie

Angie,

LOL! That is a great visual. I actually think that this might be a better way to use their brains than what most people call thinking—a more direct form of osmosis. Same consequences, but the outcome is more immediate.

Reminds me of the dialogue from Wizard of Oz;

Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.

Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?

Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

And the famous put-down: “If you had a brain, you’d play with it!” (Another great visual!!)

Or: “If you had a brain, you’d be dangerous.” (A dual put-down)

Any more one-liners from your dad? Are you going to tell us who he was referring to? I can think of any number of prominent statesmen of our day to whom it might apply.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

The person he was speaking of was a stranger but ultimately after observing people over an extended period of time and a common denominator, that's ultimately how he reacted to it and his perception/interpretation of it. My dad has many one-liners but this is his most recent one.

There is another person in my extended family that is notorious for one liners or odd ball ditzy comments but it's not always in her observations of others but observations of herself and why such as when she said, "Oh, my god, this headache just won't go away; I must be breathing too much air." OMG, wow, okay, Megan, sure, hon!! Yikes. Or her odd ball observation of the 50 foot or however tall miniature golf-n-stuff statue guy on the side of the 405 freeway was: "Oh, my god, look, they put shorts on him today." Oh, my GAWD, what the hell. Wow....*phew* Never short of funny shit sometimes in my family that's for sure. LOL

Edited by CNA

Hi Dennis,

The person he was speaking of was a stranger but ultimately after observing people over an extended period of time and a common denominator, that's ultimately how he reacted to it and his perception/interpretation of it. My dad has many one-liners but this is his most recent one.

There is another person in my extended family that is notorious for one liners or odd ball ditzy comments but it's not always in her observations of others but observations of herself and why such as when she said, "Oh, my god, this headache just won't go away; I must be breathing too much air." OMG, wow, okay, Megan, sure, hon!! Yikes. Or her odd ball observation of the 50 foot or however tall miniature golf-n-stuff statue guy on the side of the 405 freeway was: "Oh, my god, look, they put shorts on him today." Oh, my GAWD, what the hell. Wow....*phew* Never short of funny shit sometimes in my family that's for sure. LOL

Angie,

tumblr_l2c229fleU1qb4nsuo2_400.jpg

Is this the 50 foot golfer? From this angle, I can understand Megan's reaction... :lol:

Hi Dennis,

Angie,

tumblr_l2c229fleU1qb4nsuo2_400.jpg

Is this the 50 foot golfer? From this angle, I can understand Megan's reaction... :lol:

Yes, it looks to be the same 50 foot golfer, although I have never seen it from that angle. LMAO