Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1,500 Years

dan2100

http://www.amazon.com/Unstoppable-Global-Warming-Every-Years/dp/0742551172

I'm about 30 pages into this one. Wanted to read more of it on the flight back, but was too tied.

Anyhow, basic idea: the Sun is behind the current warming trend and this is part of a roughly 1500 year cycle -- hence the subtitle. They present several independent lines to back this claim.

Extensively footnoted, so anyone with access to Nature, Science, etc. should be able to weigh their evidence -- well, at least what they cite. The book is also full of charts and graphs, some more helpful than others.

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0742551172

I'm about 30 pages into this one. Wanted to read more of it on the flight back, but was too tied.

Anyhow, basic idea: the Sun is behind the current warming trend and this is part of a roughly 1500 year cycle -- hence the subtitle. They present several independent lines to back this claim.

Extensively footnoted, so anyone with access to Nature, Science, etc. should be able to weigh their evidence -- well, at least what they cite. The book is also full of charts and graphs, some more helpful than others.

That sounds too frequent for the Malinkovitch cycle.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Edited by BaalChatzaf

Ba'al Chatzaf

Correct me if I'm wrong -- and I don't want to Google at the moment -- but aren't Malinkovitch cycles around 100K years (and have to do with the Earth's orbital variations)? The authors do not -- I don't have the book handy at the moment (still in my luggage) -- make the claim it's Malinkovitch cycles. And Malinkovitch cycles aren't the only cycles involved in climate, no?

Ba'al Chatzaf

Correct me if I'm wrong -- and I don't want to Google at the moment -- but aren't Malinkovitch cycles around 100K years (and have to do with the Earth's orbital variations)? The authors do not -- I don't have the book handy at the moment (still in my luggage) -- make the claim it's Malinkovitch cycles. And Malinkovitch cycles aren't the only cycles involved in climate, no?

The are several natural (non man made) cycles involved in climate changes.

Orbital variations, variations in the tilt of the earth relative to the plane of ecliptic, variations in cosmic rays which affect cloud formation. Clouds are vary potent drivers for temperature change. There is variation in solar radiation output. There is the famous eleven year variation in sunspots. When the sunspot activity goes down, solar output goes down. During the last mini-ice age sunspot activity all but disappeared.

The problem is that the current fixation on CO2, which is politically motivated has lead away from giving the natural drivers of climate change their due weight. There are no doubt that climate is changing. It always is changing. The question is, are the main drivers to climate change human activities?

Ba'al Chatzaf

Edited by BaalChatzaf

Ba'al Chatzaf

The are several natural (non man made) cycles involved in climate changes.

Yes, or that's my understanding.

Orbital variations, variations in the tilt of the earth relative to the plane of ecliptic, variations in cosmic rays which affect cloud formation. Clouds are vary potent drivers for temperature change. There is variation in solar radiation output. There is the famous eleven year variation in sunspots. When the sunspot activity goes down, solar output goes down. During the last mini-ice age sunspot activity all but disappeared.

I located the book again and it looks like they mean two much shorter solar cycles combine to form a longer one of about 1,500 years. This is overlaid on the much longer and more powerful cycles. More on this later.

The problem is that the current fixation on CO2, which is politically motivated has lead away from giving the natural drivers of climate change their due weight. There are no doubt that climate is changing. It always is changing. The question is, are the main drivers to climate change human activities?

Ba'al Chatzaf

Agreed. I also think the sort of panic mentality now reigning makes it very hard for most to reasonably evaluate the differing views here. (And this pattern is rampant. Think of any political policy and how it's offered up as needing to be implemented immediately without debate or discussion.)