Greetings!

Cariad

When I was in my early 20s, I was greatly influenced as a fiction writer by The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. I am here now 20+ years later because I am re-examining Rand and the influence of her writings on my younger self. Hello everyone!

Bien venido a OL ;)

Dig around, there's a lot of archived goodies. If I may, what got you re-interested after 20+ years?

~ Shane

That's one hell of a name, Bach.

--Brant

It's a nickname.

Ah, that's even better; I was thinking of the whole name, especially "Cariad." I just love the--to me--esthetics of your surname. Put the whole thing together and you've got a home run. For me, my surname doesn't work without the given name. I think it's the opposite for yours. One is empowered by empowering the other. I also see words, especially proper nouns, in color. For instance, I see "Cariad" as white, same as mine, and "Bach" as blue, same as mine. Some of this color seeing has to do with the first letter: "b" for blue and "r" for red. But not always. "M", for instance, is brown as is "n". (I'm referring here only to the first letter in a word, not a letter by itself.) I see "w" as black even though it is the first letter as "white". Etc. I have an implicit working assumption, probably fallacious, that this is common for normal people.

--Brant

funny psycho-epistemology

Edited by Brant Gaede

Ah, that's even better; I was thinking of the whole name, especially "Cariad." I just love the--to me--esthetics of your surname. Put the whole thing together and you've got a home run. For me, my surname doesn't work without the given name. I think it's the opposite for yours. One is empowered by empowering the other. I also see words, especially proper nouns, in color. For instance, I see "Cariad" as white, same as mine, and "Bach" as blue, same as mine. Some of this color seeing has to do with the first letter: "b" for blue and "r" for red. But not always. "M", for instance, is brown as is "n". (I'm referring here only to the first letter in a word, not a letter by itself.) I see "w" as black even though it is the first letter as "white". Etc. I have an implicit working assumption, probably fallacious, that this is common for normal people.

--Brant

funny psycho-epistemology

That's a very interesting take on my name, Brant. I'm not sure I totally understand the colour association thing. Is that a form of synaesthesia? Either way, thanks for the kind welcome and words.

Welcome to Objectivist Living. Always good to see Rush fans.

Kat

Thanks! I love Rush. I rediscovered my sense of life at a Rush concert in 2007. They have a couple of new songs out and are touring this summer. I'm in a bit of a financial pickle at the moment so I haven't gotten any tickets yet, but am hoping to be able to catch a show or two before the tour is done.

Edited by Cariad