Romantic Art on Television

thomtg

On hearing that I had not watched any episode of it despite the social buzz about its imminent return, a friend this week lent me the DVDs to the half-season of the television series Glee. I have finished watching half of them and am planning to finish the rest this weekend. The show is surprisingly good.

To those who have been watching Glee, do you think it qualifies as Romantic art? By that I mean, that it has a definite story arc; that the theme is about finding joy in whatever one does in life; that the plot-theme is about a group of students joining the Glee club to sing and to compete at some future competition; and that the few main characters (e.g., the Spanish teacher, the dark-haired student-singer, the football quarterback, the cheerleading coach) have purposeful goals and deliberate principles of action. Maybe my standard is set too low, but I think it is Romantic.

Or am I not experienced enough in the Romantic arts to have it categorized appropriately? About Romanticism in the culture, Ayn Rand stated, "It is impossible for the young people of today [1969] to grasp the reality of man's higher potential and what scale of achievement it had reached in a rational (or semi-rational) culture. But I have seen it. I know that it was real, that it existed, that it is possible." [TRM, Introduction]

Or am I not experienced enough in the Romantic arts to have it categorized appropriately? About Romanticism in the culture, Ayn Rand stated, "It is impossible for the young people of today [1969] to grasp the reality of man's higher potential and what scale of achievement it had reached in a rational (or semi-rational) culture. But I have seen it. I know that it was real, that it existed, that it is possible." [TRM, Introduction]

For one thing, she made a sweeping generalization when she said that, and that was in '69. But sweeping is sweeping. She didn't like a lot of the media/art/music that was out then, esp. counterculture and experimental stuff. But it wasn't all crap. It is never all crap. I don't know how you feel about it, but I usually don't take it well when someone says "you don't understand/grasp/etc." Sometimes you don't. But again, that up there is a sweeping generalization.

I think it is self-defeating, and in a way defeating her philosophy, even, to get into a position where you are immediately referencing to her aesthetic. Sure, think about the values, such as you come to understand them. But not as dogma.

What are you going to do if someone tells you it doesn't "qualify?" Feel bad/dumb because you enjoyed it? Who cares if it does, or does not--especially considering the endless debate about Romantic Art being the be-all and end-all. Orthodox people will tell you "it" (?) is the only "appropriate" art, blah blah. Well, get ready for some lean pickins', and even then people will be splitting hairs over whether the work in question makes dogmatic standards. I'm sorry, but art and entertainment don't work that way, because they must grow.

Go to yourself, first. Does the show (and I haven't seen it yet, just treatments on it, commercials, etc...I thought it looked first blush to be rather positive and joyous, which is always a great place to start) make you feel joyous? Is it inspiring?

Who cares if someone tells you it is outside of some stylebook or manifesto. Screw that hippy b.s.!

Best,

rde

Edited by Rich Engle

I don't know if it qualifies as romantic art or not (seems like a rather academic question) but I definitely enjoyed the first season. Why is it so important to pigeon-hole everything into some category? I watch TV for diversion, not to tax my brain. For that I try to figure out my 16 year old daughter. :)

I don't know if it qualifies as romantic art or not (seems like a rather academic question) but I definitely enjoyed the first season. Why is it so important to pigeon-hole everything into some category? I watch TV for diversion, not to tax my brain. For that I try to figure out my 16 year old daughter. :)

You mean after 16 years you haven't?? :mellow:<_<

Romantic art on television? My own best nominee came and went in 1994-95.

MSCL.jpg

From the site of the superb compilation of its only season on DVD (also available elsewhere, see below) —

Called “the first TV show to get adolescence right“ and “...a perfect portrayal of imperfect teen-hood,” this poignant series launched the superstar career of actress Claire Danes and served as a role model for many of the teen angst-oriented shows on television today. Although the original series aired for less than six months (enjoying a subsequent lengthy rerun on MTV) in the mid-’90s, it has gone on to acquire legendary cachet.

Along with nineteen episodes (on six DVDs), the bonus features illuminate the origin, life and afterlife of this benchmark series with all-new interviews (including actress Claire Danes), episode commentaries, featurettes, a photo gallery and archival footage featuring the original cast and creators.

A deluxe 40-page book includes tributes from Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon, comedienne Janeane Garofalo, and notes from creator Winnie Holzman, along with original art.

Smart, bold and real, this series raised the bar for television shows about coming-of-age and life’s transitions.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Much more detail available at the professional-quality fan site mscl.com

From my own review of this set and the series at Amazon.com:

5 out of 5 stars

Episodic gem of all '90s TV - and not just for teens

August 7, 2008

This remains the one truly great and overlooked TV creation of the 1990s. The ensemble acting, storytelling skills, production values, and emotional substance are as compelling now as when I first saw this series in MTV's reruns. That persistence, after what must now be a dozen viewings of each episode, is unique for me, as for thousands of others.

Unfortunately, it didn't get enough of a chance to be thus adopted by millions of others, when this first aired, and that is why it didn't continue for even a full 24-to-26-episode season. (Along with ABC's poor publicity and well-documented corporate cowardice - far more than any actor's skittishness, despite what is said on Wikipedia and elsewhere.)

I won't repeat the descriptive points brought out well by many other customers. I'll note here one crucial aspect that is often under-mentioned: "MSCL" is not solely about the teenagers. It revolves around a group of friends of that age. Yet it puts the stories firmly in the settings of their families and their teachers, as well. One knows the context and hidden facets for all the characters' lives, even within only 900 minutes.

This came from both serendipity and law. Claire Danes (Angela Chase) and Devon Gummersall (Brian Krakow), portraying the two central threads of characterization, were 14 to 15 when this was made, and had strong legal restrictions on their work hours. That meant more scenes had to be written or rewritten to highlight and deepen their characters' friends. All of them were portrayed by actors with more liberal hours, but who were still all teenagers, rare both then and now.

Most of all, it meant that the adults had to have substantial screen time. This adds most strongly to the emotional dimensions opened up for, and by, Bess Armstrong (Patty Chase) and Tom Irwin (Graham Chase). That broadened scope is one of the strongest reasons why this series still resonates, especially for many in our 30s and 40s, when any number of sitcoms and formula dramas using pre-fab parental stereotypes have faded from cultural memory.

This release from Shout! Factory finally gives this seminal show the treatment it deserves. The book that's included has compelling reading, vivid photos, and an index to the entire series. The bonus disc's documentaries and production information are worth the entire price in themselves, especially the actors' appearance on a panel from 1995 at the Museum of Television and Radio. Even the series' music, a sprightly and perfectly fitting creation from a then-little-known composer, gets its own lively profile.

Video and audio quality are superb. Several of the actors and creators have contributed commentary tracks that are perceptive and filled with anecdotes, even with having some long pauses - as many of them are clearly newly re-experiencing their work, with considerable wonder. The menus include potent, funny quotations.

If you like this series, if you think you might, if you were stunned with delight by it, you must snap this set up at once!

Romantic art on television? My own best nominee came and went in 1994-95.

I haven't seen even a single episode of My So-Called Life, but from the description that you posted, as well as other info that I've read about it, it doesn't sound "romantic," at least not in the sense that Rand meant. It sounds as if it had some positive elements, but that it was what Rand would have called "slice of life" naturalism. What is it about the series that you makes you label it "romantic"?

J

I haven't seen even a single episode of "My So-Called Life" [...]

You can see any or all of the 19 episodes, by the way, for free on Hulu if you want a sample, or don't want to buy the discs. I should have mentioned this at the outset.

[...] but from the description that you posted, as well as other info that I've read about it, it doesn't sound "romantic," at least not in the sense that Rand meant. It sounds as if it had some positive elements, but that it was what Rand would have called "slice of life" naturalism.

Not at all. The two teenage protagonists I noted, Angela Chase (Claire Danes) and Brian Krakow (Devon Gummersall) — really joined, in the central personal rondelay, by Jordan Catalano (Jared Leto) — are actively trying to shape their world and their choices, within the limits of adolescents' lack of knowledge and worldly experience. They do not simply let life "happen" to them. That this impulse is so clearly articulated, even with an intelligent but fringe-denizen underachiever like Jordan, is quite rare.

I can assure you that it rises above any naturalistic reflections of current culture. They are all more aware and purposeful than that, and actively want to make sense of their world. For that matter, many of today's millennial kids are sold short in that respect, as to their striving for understanding and personal mastery of life's challenges.

What is it about the series that you makes you label it "romantic"?

Along with what I noted above, the intense personal importance of choices and understanding on the part of all of the characters. This most emphatically extends to the adults, as I mentioned in the Amazon review, all far better drawn and deeply imagined than any normal prefab TV seriocomic adults.

The writers don't try to fill time with clichés and formulas, in either plot or characterization. Every turn has both adults and teenagers showing wit, perceptiveness, persistence, and an active seeking of what can be done with their lives.

Tom Irwin's portrayal of Angela's father is especially vivid in this respect, taking entirely unexpected turns. As is the other main teenaged interplay, the shifting relationships of Angela with her older and more conventional best friend, Sharon (Devon Odessa), and her newer and more flamboyant one, Rayanne (A.J. Langer).

Perhaps I should have made this clearer sooner, but the purposive, value-laden-and-driven, active human beings that are part of Rand's conception do, indeed, make their home in these 19 hours of seriocomic stories. It was almost as if that limit imposed by network politics created serendipity and a greater storytelling focus.

(The production history of "MSCL," itself protracted and bizarre, testifies to the artistic heroism of those at The Bedford Falls Company, one of the few Hollywood outfits that hews to its own integrity despite considerable odds.)

Thom T G wrote about Glee:

Maybe my standard is set too low, but I think it is Romantic.

End quote

I have seen one small portion of one episode of Glee, by chance, and it was superb. The cast of Glee was doing Queen’s, “Somebody to Love.” I just went back to look at the original Queen version and I think Glee’s is as good. It fact, that segment of Glee is as good as the best from hit Broadway musicals. I send them a hearty, “Well done!”

It is romantic, but perhaps it does not qualify for the big “R,” Romanticism.

The show is just “too young” for me to watch but I would not mind having a video of all their finished musical numbers. I saw on You

tube that they were selling individual songs. Many times what is considered immature by older audiences later becomes Art. I cannot remember which famous classical piece I am referring to, but the (French?) audience actually rioted upon hearing it’s debut.

Semper cogitans fidele,

Peter Taylor