The Covenant of Unanimous Consent

DennisLeeWilson

Being an Objectivist morally and philosophically, I am understandably interested in Ayn Rand’s view of government. But Ayn Rand only expressed some of her undeveloped views! There is an "official" Objectivist Ethics, an "official" Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology and the Objectivist Metaphysics is well explained with proofs in Atlas Shrugged and many non-fiction essays, but there is NO “official” Objectivist Politics.[1] After defining the moral principles underlying a proper political system, she really had very little to say about the specific form that such a political system might take, other than her fictional account of Galt’s Gulch which she viewed as an elite club and which any reader can easily see consists of a community of self governing people adhering to the moral principle in Galt's Oath. But there is NO explicit political system. (Note: laissez-faire capitalism is an economic system that requires political freedom in order to exist. It is NOT a political system.)

[1] See Judge Narragansett’s New Constitution Project at: http://atlasshruggedcelebrationday.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=4.0

Listed below are some article I have written and published that describe the intellectual path I traveled from the Objectivist Ethics to the Covenant of Unanimous Consent. I hope you find them useful in the understanding of your own political views whether they agree with mine or not.

bar2.gif

[1957--1986] Galt's Oath, Non Aggression Principle & The Covenant

[2005-08-07] The Covenant: An Alternate Form of "Social Contract"

• A response to "What The Hell To Do Now?" and Paul Wakfer's "Natural Social Contract"

[2006-08-06] “A personal journey from Objectivist morality to political "anarchy" by way of L. Neil Smith's Covenant of Unanimous Consent!”

• (A little bit like an autobiography.)

[2006-08-13] more on "A personal journey… "

[2006-08-20] “…to Institute new Government, laying its foundation…”

• Starting over from basics.

[2009-05-22] Supplement to "A personal journey… "

• Carrie Burdzinski REALLY cuts to the root of why--in spite of the obvious lack of government in the Galt's Gultch model--most Objectivists reject "anarchy".

[2009-09-13] "Why I think the Covenant is more important than the Constitution"

• A call for more articles from other Signatories.

[2009-10-13] “Personal Declaration of Independence” or the Covenant of Unanimous Consent?

• Which should an Objectivist do?

bar2.gif

Edited by Dennis Lee Wilson