Problem with email notifications

Since March 16, I haven't received any email notifications of new posts for topics to which I "subscribed." This is true even of newer topics to which I have subscribed (tagging them for immediate notification) since the 16th, even though many new posts have appeared. I tried canceling some notifications and then reinstating them, but nothing helps.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions about what I can do to correct this problem?

Ghs

George, go to the first post on a thread and click on Watch This Topic and see if the choices are apropos to what you want.

--Brant

That's what I've been doing all along. I opened "Watch this Topic" and then checked the box for immediate email notification. This worked fine for a while, but it stopped working over a week ago for all of the topics to which I had "subscribed." I used to get at least 6 emails per day (usually more), but I've not received even one since the 16th -- even though many new posts have appeared in the designated threads. Everything just stopped all of a sudden.

Ghs

George, go to the first post on a thread and click on Watch This Topic and see if the choices are apropos to what you want.

--Brant

That's what I've been doing all along. I opened "Watch this Topic" and then checked the box for immediate email notification. This worked fine for a while, but it stopped working over a week ago for all of the topics to which I had "subscribed." I used to get at least 6 emails per day (usually more), but I've not received even one since the 16th -- even though many new posts have appeared in the designated threads. Everything just stopped all of a sudden.

Ghs

I wonder if this has something to do with OL's server?

--Brant

--Brant

Ghs

I wonder if this has something to do with OL's server?

--Brant

That would be my guess. That's why I was curious if anyone else has had this problem. I have "subscribed" to two new threads since yesterday, but I haven't received a single email notification for either of them, even though both have been very active.

Ghs

George,

Here is the answer I got back:

Is this member using a yahoo email possibly? If so ask him to look into the spam folder in the webmail, lately several yahoo users reported this issue but only yahoo itself can remove the filter that puts them in the spam folder. If the emails are there ask your member to mark them as "not spam" to help preventing the issue again.

If the emails aren't in the spam folder let us know and we will take a look at your board.

Please let me know something.

Michael

George,

Here is the answer I got back:

Is this member using a yahoo email possibly? If so ask him to look into the spam folder in the webmail, lately several yahoo users reported this issue but only yahoo itself can remove the filter that puts them in the spam folder. If the emails are there ask your member to mark them as "not spam" to help preventing the issue again.

If the emails aren't in the spam folder let us know and we will take a look at your board.

Please let me know something.

Michael

No, I don't use Yahoo email. Moreover, the notifications worked fine for a couple weeks until they stopped abruptly, and I didn't change anything.

It's no big deal. The "Watched Content" menu still works for me, so I'll just use that.

Thanks.

Ghs

To complete the follow-up, here is what I received from support a few days ago (boy, am I behind!):

The forum is actually sending the emails.. Checking the logs, the last sent time on topic 6799 is set to 03 / 29 / 10 @ 8:06:32pm

So, pending on timezone, that's just an hour or so ago.

Is he able to get ANY emails from the forum? Is he getting PM Notifications? Because this sounds like an issue where he's not getting any mail, or it's going to his spam folder. That's always a possibility, that the messages just started getting flagged by his email server. That would be the first place i'd recommend checking.

Michael

To complete the follow-up, here is what I received from support a few days ago (boy, am I behind!):

The forum is actually sending the emails.. Checking the logs, the last sent time on topic 6799 is set to 03 / 29 / 10 @ 8:06:32pm

Is he able to get ANY emails from the forum? Is he getting PM Notifications? Because this sounds like an issue where he's not getting any mail, or it's going to his spam folder. That's always a possibility, that the messages just started getting flagged by his email server. That would be the first place i'd recommend checking.

Michael

As of around one month ago, I get absolutely no emails from OL. As I mentioned before, I got them earlier with no problems, but they stopped suddenly.

I checked my Comcast mailbox. No emails from OL have been routed into the spam folder; in fact, none show up anywhere on that site. Nor are any OL emails being routed into the spam folder on my computer.

I am going to reenter my email address in the "Settings" section and see if that helps.

Ghs

Michael

As of around one month ago, I get absolutely no emails from OL. As I mentioned before, I got them earlier with no problems, but they stopped suddenly.

I checked my Comcast mailbox. No emails from OL have been routed into the spam folder; in fact, none show up anywhere on that site. Nor are any OL emails being routed into the spam folder on my computer.

I am going to reenter my email address in the "Settings" section and see if that helps.

Ghs

When I tried to reenter my email address, I got a notice stating that that address is already in use. It then gives my current email address, which is the correct one. So I'm stumped.

It's something of a pain not getting those email notifications. It can be difficult to keep track of 15 or more threads by using the website alone.

Ghs

• 5 weeks later...

I started receiving email notifications again today for the first time in weeks.

Perhaps the OL software is an organism with the ability to heal itself.

Ghs

It's just fucking with you, George. It's evil.

--Brant

I started receiving email notifications again today for the first time in weeks.

Perhaps the OL software is an organism with the ability to heal itself.

Ghs

It's just fucking with you, George. It's evil.

--Brant

I fear you may be right. I think the OL software is toying with me and will stop the notifications in a day or so.

Ghs

I'm not sure if an expression of dissatisfaction I sent IPB yesterday concerning a different matter had anything to do with this. Maybe yes, maybe no.

I'm glad the problem is resolved, though. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Michael

I'm glad to be receiving notifications again, whatever the reason may be. They make it much easier to keep track of recent activity in threads I'm following.

Thanks.

Ghs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...