How are my number of posts limited on OL?

You forget that the message always says "You can make five more posts today".

Hogwash. It does not always say that. I saw the message without "more" many more times than I saw it with "more".

From now on, I'll keep track of every single message I get, together with remaining posts number, and if it says anything else than five 'more', I'll post it here. For I don't recall getting any message in that context (whether it was five or less) posts without the word "more".

Today for example I got (bolding mine):

- You can make 5 more posts today. This restriction is in place until you have 98355 more approved posts

- You can make 5 more posts today. This restriction is in place until you have 98354 more approved posts

- You can make 3 more posts until 02 February 2010 - 08:02 AM. This restriction is in place until you have 98353 more approved posts (added when editing this post]

Five 'more' as well as 'today' both indicate flawed software.

MJ:
Xray: And it always says that: five more posts. (see above)

Hogwash again.

Let's wait and see whose 'hogwash' it is.

Xray: And you have very well experienced that flaw in the "enforcement of the limit", haven't you?

No. You are hopelessly wrong.

Are you now going to deny that you yourself stated that you could not edit the last of your 'five' posts?

To refresh your memory - here's from your post # 9 here on this thread:

MJ: I also tried editing a post. What looked like a post with me as author saying "NO_POSTING_PPD" appeared temporarily. It didn't stay on the thread. So my conclusion is that I also cannot edit when having made 5 posts in the last 24 hours.

MJ: "More hogwash. However, you try to make a mountain out of a mole hill. You continue harping about messages when enforcing the limit and counting the top 20 posters work exactly like I said and flawlessly."

Yesterday's posts listed in a Today's posts count is anything but working flawlessly. Today is the wrong word, plain and simple. The standard calendar day is midnight to midnight. If the program is to count "Today's Top Posters", it keeps a running tally from 00:00 to 12:00 PM. (Midnight)

At that point in time, it clears the count and starts over. It doesn't do this.

"Flawlessly?" Absurd.

Suppose I tell you today on Monday Feb 1, at 3 PM, that I have had two cups of coffee 'Today' - and after you have asked me "When exactly?" I tell you I had them on Sunday Jan 31, about 20 hours ago, and that this counts as 'today' because 24 hours have not yet passed, and that my counting 'works flawlessly', what would you think? :D

Brant asked:

Brant: What does Xray want Michael to do?

See to it that the word messages in the software are consistent with reality.

Brant: She'd have room for at least two more posts a day if she'd drop this subject.

Simple answer: in my hierarchy of values, setting the record straight on facts ranks higher than dropping the subject because I want to make posts elsewhere.

MSK: I will repeat the other part of what I said back then, though. I believe that Ms. Xray's true objection is that there is no way to game this system.

I think it has become clear enough that the software IS flawed.

Today not referring to today, not allowing to edit the last post of the five series, telling limited posters they can make "five more posts today" when they have already made some posts 'today' - you deny that these are faulty messages??

Another question to Michael: have I interpreted a past post of yours correctly: you believed that I wanted to 'game the system' of a 'Today (midnight to midnight) cycle' by "straddling midnight" each day with five posts before midnight and five after?

Edited by Xray

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ms. Xray:

You just have no clue how foolish and petty your language appears to me.

I believe you made certain assumptions about the folks who found this objectivist purgatory.

I believe that you assumed that every poster was in lock step to justify Ayn Rand's personal behavior and Ayn's projected "values" as written in scriptural stone.

You, apparently, refuse to see or admit that you are wrong.

Even on a factual issue like the Germanic suppression of home schooling that has existed, by law, since 1938, was not only allegedly unknown to you, but when it was stuck in your mental face, you do not even have the human grace to admit that you were completely mistaken.

You have failed to make clear to me, as to why you are so obsessed to participate in a forum about ideas that you detest.

Why don't you go annoy the Catholics...at least they will forgive you.

You do fail to perform due diligence concerning Ayn's actual statements. You are intellectually lazy. Finally, you are actually, quite dull and boring, but that is just my personal opinion.

Geez...how anyone could be a member of PETA and pay them money to continue to support their absurd proposals on the fraud of man made global warming, is, frankly, no longer as surprising as when you first mentioned it.

Adam

Ms. Xray:

You just have no clue how foolish and petty your language appears to me.

I believe you made certain assumptions about the folks who found this objectivist purgatory.

I believe that you assumed that every poster was in lock step to justify Ayn Rand's personal behavior and Ayn's projected "values" as written in scriptural stone.

You, apparently, refuse to see or admit that you are wrong.

Even on a factual issue like the Germanic suppression of home schooling that has existed, by law, since 1938, was not only allegedly unknown to you, but when it was stuck in your mental face, you do not even have the human grace to admit that you were completely mistaken.

You have failed to make clear to me, as to why you are so obsessed to participate in a forum about ideas that you detest.

Why don't you go annoy the Catholics...at least they will forgive you.

You do fail to perform due diligence concerning Ayn's actual statements. You are intellectually lazy. Finally, you are actually, quite dull and boring, but that is just my personal opinion.

Geez...how anyone could be a member of PETA and pay them money to continue to support their absurd proposals on the fraud of man made global warming, is, frankly, no longer as surprising as when you first mentioned it.

Adam

Adam -

Does the phrase "battle of wits with an unarmed person" ring a bell, perchance?

For me, at least, Xray's whining has become boring. For a while, it was amusing in a bizarre sort of way. Now, it is soporific.

Bill P

Bill:

Understood.

You just watch your damn back over there.

This half century dance between Taiwan, Quemoy and Matsu and the other islands is starting to percolate. As you know, they are

pushing out with their Navy.

I just have that wary hairs on the back of my neck feeling again.

Akmablowjob over in Iran has announced that "Iran to deliver telling blow to global powers on February 11th."

Even obiwan the diminished is moving Patriots into the gulf as well as a flotilla in anticipation.

China is their only buddy left of real substance.

Be careful.

Adam

Bill:

Understood.

You just watch your damn back over there.

This half century dance between Taiwan, Quemoy and Matsu and the other islands is starting to percolate. As you know, they are

pushing out with their Navy.

I just have that wary hairs on the back of my neck feeling again.

Akmablowjob over in Iran has announced that "Iran to deliver telling blow to global powers on February 11th."

Even obiwan the diminished is moving Patriots into the gulf as well as a flotilla in anticipation.

China is their only buddy left of real substance.

Be careful.

Adam

Adam -

Thanks for the kind words.

These are not the best of times to have the likes of Obama in the Oval Office.

Bill P

From now on, I'll keep track of every single message I get, together with remaining posts number, and if it says anything else than five 'more', I'll post it here.

Why should anybody believe you would honestly report? You have no credibility. You have not even admitted that:

1. the software counts correctly based on the latest 24 hours;

2. the message "you can post 5 more times today" is correct when it appears and you have not yet posted that day.

Xray: And you have very well experienced that flaw in the "enforcement of the limit", haven't you?

No. You are hopelessly wrong.

Are you now going to deny that you yourself stated that you could not edit the last of your 'five' posts?

You remain hopelessly wrong. By "enforcement of the limit" I meant whether or not posting is allowed. I meant nothing about editing, so your reply is irrelevant. The meaning Nazi strikes again. You are wrong again. It was not that I couldn't edit the last of my 5 posts; I couldn't edit any of them.

Today not referring to today, not allowing to edit the last post of the five series, telling limited posters they can make "five more posts today" when they have already made some posts 'today' - you deny that these are faulty messages??

I have not denied and have said that some messages are flawed or misleading. In contrast, you have refused to admit the software does anything correctly. Why do you persist trying to make a mountain out of a molehill? Despite the flawed or misleading messages, you can post 5 times daily (midnight to midnight), which is no different than if the messages were accurate.

Your amount of harping is absurd. You are behaving as bad as a spoiled 3-year-old brat (double meaning :) ). MSK, if I were administrator of this forum, I would give Xray a warning. The warning would be that if she harps any more about this matter, her number of posts limit will go to zero.

Edited by Merlin Jetton

Merlin,

I don't mind Ms. Xray working through her understanding of this idea out loud since she will only be able to do it a maximum of 5 times within any given 24 hour period. Thus the other discussions on OL can proceed without being derailed. This last is my only real concern.

As to Ms. Xray, her misunderstanding is her problem, not mine. Some of us take longer than others to learn stuff and she keeps trying. So I think the right thing to do is give her time. The brick wall of the program's 5-24 rule isn't going to budge action-wise no matter what angle she assaults it from. I firmly believe she will understand that one day.

Michael

From now on, I'll keep track of every single message I get, together with remaining posts number, and if it says anything else than five 'more', I'll post it here.

Why should anybody believe you would honestly report? You have no credibility.

Do some thinking: the software messages can easily be checked out by the forum admin.

Here is the latest one for you: (bolding mine)

"You can make 5 more posts today. This restriction is in place until you have 98352 more approved posts"

I can also copy the frame of the page together with it as far as it lets me. Here ya go:

You can make 5 more posts today. This restriction is in place until you have 98352 more approved posts

IconEmoticons

* Remove formatting

* Other styles

o Post Snap Back

o Topic Link

o Post Link

o Spoiler

o Acronym

o Extract Blog Entry

o Blog Link

o Blog Entry Link

o Horizontal Rule

o Code

o PHP Code

o HTML Code

o SQL Code

o XML Code

o Member

o Optional

* Fonts

o Arial

o Arial Black

o Arial Narrow

o Book Antiqua

o Century Gothic

o Comic Sans MS

o Courier New

o Franklin Gothic Medium

o Garamond

o Georgia

o Impact

o Lucida Console

o Lucida Sans Unicode

o Microsoft Sans Serif

o Palatino Linotype

o Tahoma

o Times New Roman

o Trebuchet MS

o Verdana

* Sizes

o 1

o 2

o 3

o 4

o 5

o 6

o 7

* Text color

Text color

* Spellcheck

* Decrease editor size

* Increase editor size

* Help

* Undo

* Redo

* Bold

* Italic

* Underline

* Strikethrough

* Subscript

* Superscript

* Insert list

* Insert list

* Emoticons

* Insert link

* Insert image

* Insert email address

* Insert quotation

* Insert code snippet

* Insert media

* Align right

* Align center

* Align left

* Indent

* Outdent

edited to insert the latest which I just got when posting on another thread:

You can make 4 more posts until 04 February 2010 - 11:30 AM. This restriction is in place until you have 98351 more approved posts
MJ: You have not even admitted that:

1. the software counts correctly based on the latest 24 hours;

The issue was about about flawed software giving certain messages not matching the facts of reality.

MJ: 2. the message "you can post 5 more times today" is correct when it appears and you have not yet posted that day.

It's the old story of even a stopped watch still being correct twice a day. So the random coincidence of flawed software with facts does not convert the software into flawless.

You remain hopelessly wrong. By "enforcement of the limit" I meant whether or not posting is allowed. I meant nothing about editing, so your reply is irrelevant. The meaning Nazi strikes again. You are wrong again. It was not that I couldn't edit the last of my 5 posts; I couldn't edit any of them.

I would think that not being able to edit the last post of five is certainly also related to an 'enforcing of the limit'.

MJ: I also tried editing a post. What looked like a post with me as author saying "NO_POSTING_PPD" appeared temporarily. It didn't stay on the thread. So my conclusion is that I also cannot edit when having made 5 posts in the last 24 hours.

You found out the fact that you could not edit the last post of the five series. A software barring the poster from editing the last post of the five series is flawed. Right or wrong, Merlin?

So for the last post in the five series, the program simply shuts off a function (edit) which it allowed for the previous 4 posts. This is a flaw. You can ask anyone halfway familiar with software and they'll tell you the same.

MJ: I have not denied and have said that some messages are flawed or misleading.

We're on the same page then. Any 'today' message makes no sense at all for a limited poster who is on a 24 hours cycle not in alignemt with the calendar day.

A simple message at the beginning of a new cycle "You can make five posts until Month/Day/Time" would be simple and clear as a bell instead of inserting that confusing 'Today' stuff, telling peple things like they can make five more posts today and after they make only one post, suddenly giving the message they have used up their five count.

Also, having a limited poster figure in a Today's top posters list is a flaw in itself.

MSK: As to Ms. Xray, her misunderstanding is her problem, not mine.

While faulty software is annoying for the forum user, it is not the forum user's problem to get it corrected.

But I'd know what I would do when being sold a program which "let's the paying customer work out the problems" (IIRC, you said something to that effect): I would demand my money back.

It looks like you believed that I wanted to "game the system" of a calendar cycle, 'straddling midnight' by posting ten times in row that "values are subjective" - this is downright funny.

Not only is midnight (US Central Time) 7 AM in the morning where I live, and therefore a time when I'm either on my way to work or still asleep if it's the weekend. :)

Basic math also exposes the absurdity of any 'midnight straddler'.

Let X be the posts shortly before and after midnight:

----------Monday XXXXX-midnight-TuesdayXXXXX---------- -midnight-Wednesday--- XXXXX-midnight-ThursdayXXXXX ------midnight----Friday

Notice something, Michael?

'Straddling' can't be done from Tuesday to Wednesday, nor from Thursday to Friday, since the post count would go up to ten.

To be able to do any 'midnight straddling' here at all, it would mean to let very long time spans go by without making a single post just because one wants to 'straddle midnight' with posts every two days? Gimme a break! :D

I just read that the portal is empty:

DF: It now only shows the menu common to all the pages (Forums, Members, Calendar, Portal, Blogs, and the Search function), further it's empty, so I can no longer find today's posts or those of the last week, etc.

Your comment:

I updated the software and it did this automatically.

God knows why.

I will work on it later today.

Michael

So there seem to be other major bugs in the software you're using. A portal with crucial info gone, that's a real bummer.

Edited by Xray

The issue was about about flawed software giving certain messages not matching the facts of reality.

Sorry, you are not the dictator of what the issues are.

The software allows you to post 5 times daily. Right or wrong, Xray? Whether or not some messages are flawed has no bearing on the answer to that question.

Most of the rest of your post is simply more of your childish, incessant, repetitive harping. So I am ignoring it.

Edited by Merlin Jetton

Post Script:

Apparently my access to the Portal Tab does not bring up anything but white space under the banner.

My suspicion is that it is Ms. Xray's aura attempting to "game" the program as Michael has mentioned. Therefore, we may all be present for the first "Objectivist Miracle"!

BuZZ%20KiGoRe_Face%20Crash.gif There it is an aura hitting the programatic wall!

Adam,

I updated the software. It was a minor update, but it changed the Portal. Updates always change the Portal, which is one of the reasons I set it aside until I worked on my coding skills a little more. I get tired of calling in after each update and walking customer service through each change I want over and over. So I am trying to stay away from customizations until I get a little more time.

But I will get to the Portal shortly. I think I know enough to put the basic stuff back.

One customization I just did is with respect to private messages. Before IPB Version 3.x came out, we had an option to archive our old private messages by sending them to an email, then deleting them to make space for new PMs. The powers that be at IPB decided to not include that feature in the new version and, apparently, have been getting hell for it.

One dude came up with a workaround for now, which I installed. In your private messages, you will now notice an option to print/download a message when you are reading it. You can download it as an html document or a Word file. There are two small inconveniences, but they are workable, at least:

1. You have to do this message by message. You download it and then you delete it. There is no way to batch process the messages. This is pretty quick once you get a small system going with browser tabs and a special folder for the messages, but it's still a nuisance as compared to before. Better something than nothing, I guess...

2. If you want the messages to stay in chronological order, you have to physically rename the files. As a default name, the program gives them the titles on the messages. So I put the date first in the following format:

YYYY-MM-DD (where Y=year, M=month and D=day). I also use 01, 02, 03, etc. instead of single numbers. That works perfectly. So a typical downloaded private message file of mine for today will look something like this (in Word):

2010-02-03-My message title.doc

"My message title" of course can be whatever is in the title.

Note: If there are two messages with the same title, you will have to rename further. If not, the newly downloaded one will overwrite the older one. I put an "-a" "-b" etc. at the end, but before the file extension. So if I had 3 different messages all bearning the above title, they would look like this:

2010-02-03-My message title.doc

2010-02-03-My message title-a.doc

2010-02-03-My message title-b.doc

EDIT: The Portal is back up as before.

Michael

Selene]:

It has been pointed out to you that homeschooling in the US has to meet certain official standards as well.

Imo all that homeschooling stuff was just another attempt by you to present me as a despicable example of "public teaching" (= "the government"). But just as "man" is no entity, "government" isn't either.

As for homeschooling in general, while I have nothing against it, still, my subjective mental association with 'homeschoolers' (sorry, can't help it) is something like Christian creationists trying to instill 'God's will' into their their twelve children because they think that public teachers do nothing to teach them 'divine objective values' ...

S: I believe you made certain assumptions about the folks who found this objectivist purgatory.

Purgatory - interesting religious term you chose. So what mental contents do you think objectvists can be purged of here at OL?

S: I believe that you assumed that every poster was in lock step to justify Ayn Rand's personal behavior and Ayn's projected "values" as written in scriptural stone.

I assumed nothing of the sort. For the TOS of OL said nothing about this being a 'Randites only' forum.

Even SoloP has a section called:

Dissent

For those who question Objectivism. Interested people can practice arguing the philosophy.

http://www.solopassion.com/forum

Post Script:

Apparently my access to the Portal Tab does not bring up anything but white space under the banner.

My suspicion is that it is Ms. Xray's aura attempting to "game" the program as Michael has mentioned.

BuZZ%20KiGoRe_Face%20Crash.gif There it is an aura hitting the programatic wall!

Good that it is back up again, which clears poster "Xray" of any suspicion that she made it vanish by miraculously beaming it away. :D

S: Therefore, we may all be present for the first "Objectivist Miracle"!

No Selene, the first "Objectivist miracle" would be Objectivsts admitting that values are subjective. :D

Edited by Xray

Ms. Xray

Except for your simple inability to state that you were mistaken about home schooling in Germany being savagely suppressed by the state since 1938, this was a reasonably playful and direct post, for once, with an actual sense of humor.

It is not "interesting" that I selected a specific purely Catholic piece of humanistic teleology. Vell, [little Yiddish thrown, just because] ve haff a real special deal for you Catholics.

We are not so black and white, heaven and hell, we have a progressive step process. We set up a waiting room for heaven.

It was actually pretty clever marketing.

I used purgatory to pick at your seven year tyranny at the hands of the Catholic nuns.

Seems like a pretty impactful time in your life.

All in all though, a good post, I would give it a B-.

Good girl, Ms. Xray

moz-screenshot-2.pngaction-smiley-032.gif

Adam

Edited by Selene