Doctor Strange Love

Peter

I had written how my brother and I had gone to see, "Doctor Strangelove," on a military base. My brother had just taken a year of high school Spanish. He knew that "Bat Guano" meant Bat Shit in English. He told me in the middle of the movie. I could not stop laughing. A senior military person demanded that I stand up and tell eveyone what I was laughing about. I told the whole audience. No one could stop laughing for the rest of the movie.

With time, I forgot the details.

Semper cogitans fidele,

Peter Taylor

From: "Andy Dufresne" <andydufresneandydufresne@hotmail.com>

To: solarwind47@hotmail.com

Subject: offlist: ATL: Strangelove

Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 19:04:50 +0000

offlist:

"No one thinks of themselves as Pro-War, Debbie, except perhaps the fictional Colonel Batt Guano in the movie, “Doctor Strangelove.”"

Peter, if you're going to make allusions to movies, you should get the right. It was General Jack D. Ripper who was insanely pro-war. Bat Guano was just a soldier... he was about as dense as that guard Dagney shot in AS, but he wasn't the pro-war one.

Gerard

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Colonel . . . that Coca-Cola machine. I want you to shoot the lock off it. There may be some change in there.

Colonel "Bat" Guano: That's private property.

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Colonel! Can you possibly imagine what is going to happen to you, your frame, outlook, way of life, and everything, when they learn that you have obstructed a telephone call to the President of the United States? Can you imagine?! Shoot it off! Shoot! With a gun! That's what the bullets are for, you twit!!

Colonel "Bat" Guano: Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: What?!

Colonel "Bat" Guano: You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company.

-Dr. Strangelove- is one of the blackest of black comedies and surely one of the funniest. I loved that little soliloquy that Dr. Strangelove does when he describes what life in underground mine shafts will be like after the Soviet Doomsday Machine goes off:

.... see can take cattle down to the mine shafts to breed und slaughter...

and of course the best line of the movie...

...Mr. President ..... mein Fuehrer! I can stand!!!!!!

That movie is pee in your pants material.

Ba'al Chatzaf

-Dr. Strangelove- is one of the blackest of black comedies and surely one of the funniest. I loved that little soliloquy that Dr. Strangelove does when he describes what life in underground mine shafts will be like after the Soviet Doomsday Machine goes off:

.... see can take cattle down to the mine shafts to breed und slaughter...

and of course the best line of the movie...

...Mr. President ..... mein Fuehrer! I can stand!!!!!!

That movie is pee in your pants material.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Robert:

For your enjoyment. It is a good 7:47 as it starts with Slim Pickens sitting on the bomb in the bomb bay then cute to about 5:07 of the scene you are referring to.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=hPJn0QJPaoc

"Mein Furhrer...I can walk!" Peter Sellers physical humor as Strangelove is flat out brilliant. The work with the arm is hysterical since it was grafted on from a Holocaust victim, so it is constantly trying to kill him.

George C. Scott, watch his eyes as he understands that he, as one of the elites to be preserved in the mine shafts, will have ten women specially selected for their sexual attractiveness because men will have to do "...prodigious work..." with those ten (10) women in order to repopulate.

And his famous line, "Mr. President, we can't afford to have a mine shaft gap."

I would rank Little Murders [Murderers] about the collapse of society as another of the blackest comedy movies.

Enjoy.

Adam

Edited by Selene

Doctor Strange Love is a great movie. Three wonderful performances by Peter Sellers and George C Scott's great job all make it a wonderful movie with a very find script.

Edited by Chris Grieb

I can't think of anything Sellers did that wasn't great.

My sister and I still get the giggles about the scene at a hotel. A small dog comes up next to Sellers (Clouseau? I don't remember). Another man walks up to the counter, and seeing the small dog says, "Does your dog bite?" Sellers responds "Non!" So the other man bends down to pet the dog. The dog goes berserk, practically tearing the man's arm off. The man screams, "I thought you said your dog doesn't bite!!!" A bemused Sellers calmly responds, "That is not my dog."

Edited by Steve Gagne