The Tonight Show

Peter

Is Conan O'Brien just keeping the seat warm for Jerry Seinfeld on the Tonight Show? With Jay Leno in prime-time and soon to be on later, and a reported ratings slide for O'Brien, the whispers of trying to bring in Jerry Seinfeld to save NBC late night and the Tonight Show are being leaked and denied.

TV Squad reports, 'Some anonymous executive sources have said the network is thinking about dumping Conan O'Brien and putting Jerry Seinfeld in The Tonight Show's host chair.'

Conan says, heck no I won’t go, to 12:05.

I say, let Jerry have a crack at it! Remember the old Jackie Gleason Show with embedded episodes of The Honeymooners? How about an embedded episode of Seinfeld in The Tonight Show? It would be great to see George, Elaine, and Kramer again. How about Newman as Jerry’s Ed McMann and announcer?

Hello Newman.

Hello Jerry. No thanks to you Jerry, we have Tony Romo, Sarah Jessica Parker with her husband, what’s his name, and of course another episode of Seinfeld, written by Larry David. Why don’t you just go home, Jerry?

Stuff it Newman. Tonight’s musical guest is Sting, playing his lute and singing madrigals. Have you heard that one that goes, On the fields of Flanders . . . ? It’s great, I tell ya!

That might be to your taste Jerry, but I would prefer ‘Roxanne, you don’t have to wear your red dress.’ He went down hill after his last Police concert, just like your jokes.

Semper cogitans fidele,

Peter

So, when Johnny Carson left he left for good. When Jay Leno left, he left for an earlier slot. Were Johnny Carson leading to Jay Leno, would Jay Leno have been in the same predicament? Somebody at NBC didn't think this through.

Bryce wrote:

So, when Johnny Carson left he left for good. When Jay Leno left, he left for an earlier slot. Were Johnny Carson leading to Jay Leno, would Jay Leno have been in the same predicament? Somebody at NBC didn't think this through.

end quote

Some commentators act like it was a conspiracy between NBC and Leno, to get rid of Conan.

Fox is apparently negotiating with Conan. Though his viewer numbers are not great, they are great demographically. Younger consumers watch and like him and they buy a lot of computer games and aps, appliances, phones, musical downloads, etc., and that gives you an idea who Conan's advertisers will be, if he immigrates to Fox.

Fox excells with moderate to right news and commentary broadcasts. They should find a late night guy who is a strict constitutional constructionist, Tea Party guy, and funny and that would be a guaranteed hit. I don't think Sarah Palin who is coming to Fox, could handle it, nor Glenn Beck though both of them are good entertainers. Just as Rush galvanized talk radio, a right wing host could galvanize late night viewing. A problem might be getting your typical left-wing Hollywood celebrity guests to appear, but if your viewship is huge, that might not be a problem.

Semper cogitans fidele,

Peter Taylor