Glenn Ford, R.I.P.

Glenn Ford, R.I.P.

He was an actor who seemed to radiate dignity, moral earnestness, coolness and intelligence. He was in numerous Westerns and detective films that were re-played on TV as I was growing up. I do not so much remember specific movies he played in, but I remember the instant recognition when he made his first entrance. You knew that a decent man had just walked onto the scene.

-Ross Barlow.

My favorite Glenn Ford movie was Fate Is The Hunter (1964). In this movie he is an airline safety investigator that looks into a crash where all the evidence appears to indicate that the plane was simply "fated" to crash due to external circumstances beyond anyone's control. It is a very interesting mystery.

One of my favorite Glenn Ford movies is Trial. It is an eloquent attack on racism and communism. It has a great Communist rally. It has a great performance by Juomo Hendez a very fine black actor. It is rarely shown but if you get the chance see it.

/Glenn Ford was I think a vastly under appreciated actor. Frequently his co-star got all the praise. Hollywood never acknowledged him. He received niether a Life Acheivement Oscar or the AFI Life Achievement Award. Yet he held his own in a host of movies Trial and Fate is the Hunter have already been mentioned. But he also did Blackboard Jungle, 3:10 to Yuma, and of course his most famous role in Glida. I hope he gets praise with his death.

• 3 months later...

When I was a kid, I saw him for the 1st time on a late-nite movie (pre-cable times, when 'late-show' movies were de riguer on TV). He starred with Lloyd Bridges who was a Nazi competitor in climbing some mountain; The White Tower. Ford was thenceforth one of my 'hero's, man. -- Many nowadays-actors refer to his style of acting (akin to John Wayne's and others') as signature-acting, which I understand as meaning that the actor, in effect, plays himself in the story-situation, rather than trying to 'get into the head' of the character-as-written (or psychologically re-interpreted). In short, such weren't an 'actor's A-C-T-O-R.

Ntl, Ford was clearly my kind of guy. In all roles, gunfighter, gangster, and whether drama or comedy (Pocketful of Miracles), my impression of him was what you saw was who was there.

I'd've really liked to have known the guy.

R.I.P

LLAP

J:D