Barbara Branden interview - 1986 - about Passion of Ayn Rand (book)

I just listened to an audio of a Barbara Branden interview from 1986 about her book, Passion of Ayn Rand.

It's an impressive interview. Barbara is extremely articulate and on point.

Something which impresses me - is the extent to which Barbara so obviously admires and loves Ayn Rand. It's the same tone which I get from the book.

I remain unable to see why the "Orthodox" crew got so upset about the book, beyond the fact that it points out that Rand was not perfect. But of course that seems to be the key matter some would attempt to defend. As BB says in the interview "we all have a right not to be perfect." Or as NB says in "Benefits and Hazards of the Philosophy of Ayn Rand, "Rand had the right to be wrong sometimes."

She did and she was. But what a track record overall!

Bill P

I think you're referring to the same interview that prompted me to buy Barbara's book. If so, it was the one conducted by Don Swaim of CBS for his radio program Book Beat. It was edited into a two-minute segment, so the interview was never aired in its entirety. Here is a direct link with an MP3 download:

Wired for Books: Audio Interview with Barbara Branden about Ayn Rand

I agree that it's an excellent interview. Before I heard it, I knew little about Barbara Branden except that certain people among the so-called "Objectivist orthodoxy" had strong feelings about her and about her book. After listening, I didn't find anything objectionable at all (in fact, I was quite impressed with her), and now that I've bought her book and read it twice, I still don't think it contains anything objectionable. And I'm more impressed than ever.

Don Swaim also interviewed Nathaniel Branden for Judgment Day in 1989:

Wired for Books: Audio Interview with Nathaniel Branden

Edited by jaybird3rd

I think you're referring to the same interview that prompted me to buy Barbara's book. If so, it was the one conducted by Don Swaim of CBS for his radio program Book Beat. It was edited into a two-minute segment, so the interview was never aired in its entirety. Here is a direct link with an MP3 download:

Wired for Books: Audio Interview with Barbara Branden about Ayn Rand

I agree that it's an excellent interview. Before I heard it, I knew little about Barbara Branden except that certain people among the so-called "Objectivist orthodoxy" had strong feelings about her and about her book. After listening, I didn't find anything objectionable at all (in fact, I was quite impressed with her), and now that I've bought her book and read it twice, I still don't think it contains anything objectionable. And I'm more impressed than ever.

Don Swaim also interviewed Nathaniel Branden for Judgment Day in 1989:

Wired for Books: Audio Interview with Nathaniel Branden

You are correct. In fact, I read your recent post and downloaded the mp3 for the BB interview. Then, by the time I read the interview . . . I had forgotten where the link was so I could point others to it. Thanks for providing that information.

Bill P

I remain unable to see why the "Orthodox" crew got so upset about the book, beyond the fact that it points out that Rand was not perfect.

Think of the historical timeline. Peikoff had for years been requiring students to sign agreements that they would never buy Branden books. Can you imagine him finding out after Rand’s death about “The Affair”, then doing some kind of public reversal? That would have required far more integrity than he’s ever demonstrated. He’d have risked losing his quasi-papal position just as he’d finally acquired it.

Now you didn’t say Peikoff, you said the “Orthodox”. 1986 was pre-Kelley split, there were few factions back then. Some Peikoff associates (e.g. Kelley, Hessen) praised PAR, albeit privately, and their excom’s followed in due course. Why do the remaining Orthodox still refuse to read PAR and/or damn it? Does it not suffice that it's because Peikoff says so? I think that covers a very high percentage of the cases.

I remain unable to see why the "Orthodox" crew got so upset about the book, beyond the fact that it points out that Rand was not perfect.

Think of the historical timeline. Peikoff had for years been requiring students to sign agreements that they would never buy Branden books. Can you imagine him finding out after Rand’s death about “The Affair”, then doing some kind of public reversal? That would have required far more integrity than he’s ever demonstrated. He’d have risked losing his quasi-papal position just as he’d finally acquired it.

Now you didn’t say Peikoff, you said the “Orthodox”. 1986 was pre-Kelley split, there were few factions back then. Some Peikoff associates (e.g. Kelley, Hessen) praised PAR, albeit privately, and their excom’s followed in due course. Why do the remaining Orthodox still refuse to read PAR and/or damn it? Does it not suffice that it's because Peikoff says so? I think that covers a very high percentage of the cases.

Good post.

When I referred to "Orthodox" I was referring to those who would today be referred by that designation.

I understand well about the loyalty oaths. It's the amazing hate poured out on the content of the book by those who would today be termed Orthodox (see how awkward that construction is?), some of whom claim never to have read the book. Of course, the mother of all splits had already happened - the Great Schism, Rand-Branden.

Of all the books about Rand's life or major portions of same (save Who is Ayn Rand and the Britting mini-book) the BB book is the one which paints the strongest positive picture of Ayn Rand. Peikoff's reaction has been smallminded and petty.

Bill P