Kim Peek has died

BaalChatzaf

The real "rainman", Kim Peek is dead at age 58 and is survived by his Dad who is in his 80's. Kim Peek had one of the most remarkable brains possessed by any human being. His memory abilities indicate just how little we know about the human brain. Kim was the living inspiration for the character played by Dustin Hoffman in the movie -Rainman-. Hoffman and Kim Peek met prior to the making of the movie and Hoffman got a feel for Kim's persona.

Kim Peek was a low functioning autistic man. He could do memory feats that could leave one agape and amazed. But in terms of everyday living, he had little judgment and had to be cared for by his dad. Peek could literally remember everything he ever read or saw. He was a total eidetic. I have no doubt that after the post mortem the remains of his brain will be carefully studied to see if there were any major structural differences between his brain and normal brains.

Kim was a sweet innocent fellow. He was good natured and cheerful, even if a bit "weird". Rest in peace, Kim and my condolences to his Dad. Loosing a child is every parent's worst nightmare.

Ba'al Chatzaf

One amazing individual. Imagine, 58 years of remembering everything! Are there any other people like him in recorded history? Or is he the first we know of?

I really enjoyed that movie!

~ Shane

One amazing individual. Imagine, 58 years of remembering everything! Are there any other people like him in recorded history? Or is he the first we know of?

I really enjoyed that movie!

~ Shane

Science Chanel did some documentaries on some autistic savants in England. One is a high functioning autistic who does prodigal calculations in his head. Another drew a picture of London which had nearly photographic accuracy, and this after a short trip in the air to see the city from above. I will try to dig up the names of the people.

Aha! Here is a name. Daniel Tammet. A calculating prodigy. He is autistic, high functioning and not mentally retarded in the slightest. Probably a talented Aspie.

Savants, or idiosavants as they were once called are rare but are not unheard of. Some savants can function well in a social context and others are retarded in many ways and need care and looking after. The late Kim Peek was one of these.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Edited by BaalChatzaf

The Wikipedia article on Kim Peek says he was not autistic. Of course, Wikipedia might be wrong and he may have had autistic-like symptoms anyway.

I much enjoyed Rainman and my condolences to his dad as well.

the Wiki article mentioned FG syndrome which would account for his general retardation and need of custodial care. FG syndrome is a form of retardation caused by a gene on the X chromosome. Even so, his lack of social skill and inability to care for himself properly is also associated with low functioning autism.

Ba'al Chatzaf

"Rain Man" bored me to tears. Tom Cruise's transformation, as the brother, from cynicism to compassion was effective. But two hours of Dustin Hoffman's overcalculated artifice thrown in my face was about 1:45 too much. If ever a "Pick Me, Oscar" performance existed, it was that one. Quite ironic, in its eventual success, coming from an actor who'd long expressed withering contempt for the Academy.

I'm sure Kim Peek's actual story is far more compelling.

Thanks, Bob!

I do remember one other savant now that you mention documentaries. This savant was blind, so likely his hearing was highly attuned to begin with. His talent was playing any tune he heard on the piano, even operatic pieces.

My question should have been more focused on the abilities that Kim displayed on memory. Being a genius on ~15 subjects has got to be very high, even for savants.

~ Shane