Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead now available on Kindle

And Nineteen Eighty-four and Animal Farm were electronically pulled from Kindle users who'd bought them, when Amazon screwed up on getting rights clearances from Orwell's estate.

Another reason to not buy a locked-down, proprietary system such as a Kindle. Even though it's an amazing tool, you still do not own anything that's laden with Digital Rights Restrictions Management technology.

Far better to look into the Sony Reader line, or many others, that allow loading up and reading wholly unfettered eBooks.

And Nineteen Eighty-four and Animal Farm were electronically pulled from Kindle users who'd bought them, when Amazon screwed up on getting rights clearances from Orwell's estate.

Another reason to not buy a locked-down, proprietary system such as a Kindle. Even though it's an amazing tool, you still do not own anything that's laden with Digital Rights Restrictions Management technology.

Far better to look into the Sony Reader line, or many others, that allow loading up and reading wholly unfettered eBooks.

Well, . . .

1) I was one of those who had purchased 1984 and Animal Farm. They did indeed refund my 99 cents for each book and (when I decided to turn on wireless again, knowing the consequences because Amazon had notified me of what they would be doing when I did so!) removed the books from my Kindle. Then, I got it in for a very low price (either the same, or perhaps about 2.00) shortly thereafter. I do note that a Kindle user doesn't need to ever turn on their wireless - that is a choice they can make or not, depending on whether they WISH Amazon to manage their content for them. Once you purchase content, you can download it to your computer and transfer it via USB to your Kindle. That takes a few seconds more work (less than 10) than letting the automatic download/management take place.

2) The person "publishing" the book appears to have been the one who didn't secure the rights, though they claimed they had. (You can't publish a book on Kindle without explicitly claiming that you own the rights to do so.

3) If you have the book in pdf format (to take one example) you can of course transfer it to the Kindle and read it there. About 30% of the titles on my Kindle are pdf files which I have created based on public domain work.

Bill P

I agree. When I heard that story I decided I'd never ever buy a Kindle.

I agree. When I heard that story I decided I'd never ever buy a Kindle.

Amazon has made available, a no cost, a kindle that runs on a personal computer. They are not giving anything away truly, but making the offers so you can by Kindle books at $9.99 a pop.

Ba'al Chatzaf

For the price and benefit, I think Kindle rocks.

My opinion is as consumer and seller. Here's a note on selling.

As a publishing market, a budding author would be foolish to not explore it. Amazon is opening up all stops on advertising and the Kindle inventory machine is hungry. I think there are only 300,000 titles so far. But there are over 1 million Kindle owners and this is growing by leaps and bounds.

If anyone needs extra cash and doesn't mind a bit of a learning curve, here is an excellent link: Make Money on Amazon.

You can publish on Kindle there as well as a host of other opportunities. The Amazon market is gigantic and its promotion system is the best on the Internet. Amazon's percentages are not high, but look at the size of the public you can get in front of with no promotional effort on your part.

Michael