Time Picks Bernacke as Newsmaker of 2009

Chris Grieb

This used to called Man of the Year.

Time has selected villains before, Hitler & Stalin.

This is the first time they selected a Fed Chairman. I think it be argued that the Federal Reserve Chairman is always the big newsmaker of any year.

Obama will be disappointed that he was not selected.

Edited by Chris Grieb

This is the first time they selected a Fed Chairman. I think it be argued that the Federal Reserve Chairman is always the big newsmaker of any year.

Time Magazine had better hope they don't need a bailout...

Bill P

If Bernacke can bail out AIG he could probably bail out Time if he really wanted to. TARP came from Paulson/Bush, not Geithner/Obama.

Bernacke isn't likely to be able to bail out Time if Obama says no.

Bill P

My choice would be Ron Paul who sponsored the Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2009, HR1207 which has 317 cosponsors in the House. Ron Paul's challenging interrogation of Chairman Bernanke is responsible to some extent for Bernanke's exposure as the cause of the crisis he is mistakenly being given credit for resolving!

<<<"Even president Thomas Jefferson warned us 200 years ago about private banks and allowing them such power over our currency like they have today:

“I believe banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around (the banks) will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered…”">>>

www.campaignforliberty.com membership 224,691 at the moment

Edited by galtgulch

The complete list is available on Time's website, of course.

http://www.time.com/time/personoftheyear/archive/stories/

Wikipedia has a nice overview.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year

Yes, everyone knows that Time gave the cover to Stalin (twice) and to Hitler. Those are pretty easy to spot. I always enjoy a chuckle at the expense of conservatives who cannot identify the others. In the Dialog of Plato called PROTAGORAS, Socrates and Protagoras argue whether virtue can be taught, needs to be taught, or is known to all by being human. (Socrates believed that "eidos" form is internal to the mind. Plato accepted this view. Thus the "Socratic question" that a "good" teacher asks is supposed to draw out from you what you already know. But I digress...) Anyway, it is pretty easy to rant, but how many names on the list do you actually recognize?

The complete list is available on Time's website, of course.

http://www.time.com/time/personoftheyear/archive/stories/

Wikipedia has a nice overview.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year

Yes, everyone knows that Time gave the cover to Stalin (twice) and to Hitler. Those are pretty easy to spot. I always enjoy a chuckle at the expense of conservatives who cannot identify the others. In the Dialog of Plato called PROTAGORAS, Socrates and Protagoras argue whether virtue can be taught, needs to be taught, or is known to all by being human. (Socrates believed that "eidos" form is internal to the mind. Plato accepted this view. Thus the "Socratic question" that a "good" teacher asks is supposed to draw out from you what you already know. But I digress...) Anyway, it is pretty easy to rant, but how many names on the list do you actually recognize?

Did not recognize: Owen Young, Hugh Johnson, James Brynes, Harlow Curtice, David Ho, Andy Grove. (Well, now I know who they are.) Part of this is probably a function of the fact that I'm 50.

Does it anyone else find it ironic that Judge Sirica was chosen Man of the Year in succession to Richard Nixon?

Jeffrey S.

• 2 months later...

Folks:

As much as I believe that Ron Paul is a reasonably honest man, could he win? In this environment the answer might be yes. Can you imagine a Paulian Presidency, with a Paulian Congress, but a Senate that could slow down sweeping change? However, we would get a lot of rollbacks by executive order that would be worth it!

(CNN) -- U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, a stalwart foe of government spending, won a blowout victory Saturday in the annual Conservative Political Action Conference presidential straw poll.

With participants naming "reducing the size of federal government" as their top issue, the 74-year old libertarian hero captured 31 percent of the 2,400 votes cast in the annual contest, usually seen as a barometer of how the GOP's conservative wing regards their potential presidential candidates.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney finished second with 22 percent of the vote, ending a three-year winning streak at CPAC. Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin finished third with 7 percent of the vote, followed by Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty at 6 percent and Indiana Rep. Mike Pence at 5 percent.

They were followed by former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who tied at 4 percent. Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, South Dakota Sen. John Thune and Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour rounded out the results.

Five percent of participants voted for "Other" and 6 percent was undecided.

The announcement of Paul's win, a surprise victory unlikely to have a major impact on the 2012 presidential contest, drew a volley of loud boos from the CPAC audience.

That discontent could be seen in the poll results: A majority of participants said they wished the Republican Party had a better field of candidates to choose from.

But Paul's victory might be seen, in part, as a result of his support among anti-establishment Tea Party activists -- who turned out in force at this year's conference and expressed some frustration with the Republican Party.

Reflecting the college atmosphere of the annual event, young people dominated the voting: 54 percent of participants were between the ages of 18 and 25.

The poll also contained a bit of bad news for Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele, who made an under-the-radar appearance at CPAC late Friday.

Follow on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/cpac

Participants were asked to rate their opinions of several top political figures, including Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Minority Leader John Boehner, both of whom received a majority favorable rating.

But Steele was the only Republican to garner an upside-down rating, with 44 percent giving him an unfavorable rating and 42 percent rating him favorably.

The three-day meeting Saturday that has featured speeches by Republican leaders, training sessions for local political activists and a renewed purpose to stand firm behind their principles heading into the midterm elec