Google and The Fall

What event has Google been honored this past week? Why children it has been the 40th anniversary of Sesame Street.

What event has Google not mentioned: The Fall of the Berlin Wall. The Berlin Wall was the most visual symbol of tyranny. Its Fall was a great and wonderful event except to the founders of Google.

Don't support these "scum".

I just visited Google, and directly below the search buttons is a link called "View images of the Berlin Wall from the LIFE Photo Archive":

http://www.google.com/berlinwall09.html

J

J; The fact that they did not put the Fall of The Wall in their logo suggest to me that don't consider it an important event. Links to pictures are not enough.

What event has Google been honored this past week? Why children it has been the 40th anniversary of Sesame Street.

What event has Google not mentioned: The Fall of the Berlin Wall. The Berlin Wall was the most visual symbol of tyranny. Its Fall was a great and wonderful event except to the founders of Google.

Google is in the search engine business. I could care less what sentiments they express. They have the best search engine so I use Google.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Google is in the search engine business. I could care less what sentiments they express. They have the best search engine so I use Google.

Ba'al Chatzaf

When the communist government of East Germany fell the extensive paper archives on its citizens were discovered. The collection of that information was a monumental enterprise and a key to its power and control. Twenty years from now Google will be one stop shopping for an American Gestapo needing/wanting information on whomever.

--Brant

the world is both insane and stupid--the latter saves us from complete disaster until the asteroid hits

When the communist government of East Germany fell the extensive paper archives on its citizens were discovered. The collection of that information was a monumental enterprise and a key to its power and control. Twenty years from now Google will be one stop shopping for an American Gestapo needing/wanting information on whomever.

--Brant

the world is both insane and stupid--the latter saves us from complete disaster until the asteroid hits

This presumes the future commission of an act, not yet committed. It is also easily circumvented. Use a library computer to do Google look-ups anonymously. I think the danger you adumbrate is unlikely and easily avoidable. In the mean time you can get the services of the best web-browser available.

Ba'al Chatzaf

November 9th is a loaded date in German history: the Fall of the Berlin Wall took place on the 41st anniversary of Kristallnacht, when Nazi anti-semitism stopped being content with legalized discrimination and became systemic violence: which is why many people date the start of the Holocaust from that night.

Also remember that the Fall of the Wall, however emotionally important, was only one event in a sequence in the fall of the Soviet Empire: the Hungarian decision to open their border to Austria, the Russian decision to let the Baltic states resume their independence, and Yeltsin rallying the people against the abortive old guard countercoup while Gorbachev was detained and impotent in the Crimea, were actually as important, if not more important, than the Fall of the Wall.

And it was not the defeat of Communism that was marked by that series of events, only the death of the Soviet Empire. Marxism is still alive and fighting vigorously, as any visit to Peking, Habana, Caracas or an American university campus will make clear.

Jeffrey S.

• 2 weeks later...

Rhetorically, are you offended because Google didn't celebrate it on it's homepage? Or are you offended because Google celebrated Sesame Street instead? Regardless of your answer, what's for you to feel offended over?

Edited by Bryce

November 9th is a loaded date in German history: the Fall of the Berlin Wall took place on the 41st anniversary of Kristallnacht, when Nazi anti-semitism stopped being content with legalized discrimination and became systemic violence: which is why many people date the start of the Holocaust from that night.

Also remember that the Fall of the Wall, however emotionally important, was only one event in a sequence in the fall of the Soviet Empire: the Hungarian decision to open their border to Austria, the Russian decision to let the Baltic states resume their independence, and Yeltsin rallying the people against the abortive old guard countercoup while Gorbachev was detained and impotent in the Crimea, were actually as important, if not more important, than the Fall of the Wall.

And it was not the defeat of Communism that was marked by that series of events, only the death of the Soviet Empire. Marxism is still alive and fighting vigorously, as any visit to Peking, Habana, Caracas or an American university campus will make clear.

Jeffrey S.

Night of the Crystal Knives?

Rhetorically, are you offended because Google didn't celebrate it on it's homepage? Or are you offended because Google celebrated Sesame Street instead? Regardless of your answer, what's for you to feel offended over?

I have nothing against Sesame Street but Sesame Street's anniversary is not as important as the fall of the Wall.