A post for Roger Bissell

Victor Pross

Roger,

I have purposely put this post into Meet and Greet, because I would like Roger to meet ME---the real me, not the caricature I was on SLOP--where he garnered his impression of me.

Roger Bissell writes: “It was a mistake to make this post. I had made a decision about interacting with VP -- basically, not to -- and I let his comments about David Kelley get under my skin to the point that I broke my vow to avoid sanctioning his presence on this list by dialoguing with him. In the post that follows, he has quoted enough of my post to give the reader an indication of what my post was all about, but I hereby and officially withdraw my sanction of him, which was implied by the former contents of this post.”

I am at a loss to understand your rigid disapproval of me. Is it because I take issue with David Kelley’s philosophy—or at least aspects of it? I don’t, by the way, dismiss Kelley outright and categorically. Why would you take issue with me—as an independent thinker, one who honestly disagrees with Kelley—and independently so, and not as some unthinking ARI minion—over the Kelley issue?

Your carrying on as if I were “the enemy” of OL or the Atlas society is ridiculous, and is proto-typical of the tribal mentality: my gang---accept all of it or none of it! (“Whose side on you on, man!”)

Or is it because of my pass remarks about Barbara? You might take note that I have been forgiven by her. She has done so, because I was sincere and my transgression wasn’t so bad as to be utterly unforgivable. One might think that I am able to respect an individual—even if I may disagree with on them on some aspects and issues in philosophy or, for that matter, other areas of life. [i don’t agree with everybody on everything---this makes me bad, I suppose!?]

Just exactly what is the nature of your disproportionate disapproval of me? Does not a man have a right to know what he is being condemned for? As to this, I might be mocked with “Oh, you know!” But I don’t. Is it the Barbara or Kelley thing? What? And why so un-forgiving? I have made amends to all and in genuine spirit--I extend my handshake (so to speak) to you. Come on, I haven’t done anything SOOOOOO BAD as to deserve this. But just as I said sorry to Barbara, I extend that apology to you as well. I know that Barbara is your friend.

If not for my benefit, speak to other OL members.

At least I’m honest. I’m not coming here with a fork tongue shoved in the mouths of two faces. I’m the real deal, Roger, because at the end of the day, my allegiance is not to Peikoff or to Rand or to Kelley or Barbara. It is to reality.

Edited by Victor Pross