My Santomayor Fantasy

BaalChatzaf

While watching some the hearings I fell into a doze and dreamed the following:

Jeff Sessions: Judge Santamayor, you are nothing but a Latina harridan and a pinko, stinko liberal activist!

Judge Santamayor: Oh yeah! Well screw you! You are nothing but a gringo puta!

But none of this happened, did it?

Ba'al Chatzaf

Actually, I was thinking of Hillary and Sotomayor in bondage along with Charlie Rangel, the spiteful troll from Minnesota Franken and a plethora of others in the Taggart Tunnel as Ragnar and his pirates rape them, but then I thought about that sticky initiation of force issue, but then I remembered how Ragnar got around that ... and then the fantasy really took off.

Adam

What is truly remarkable is the amount of bare-faced lying that goes on at such hearings. Sotomayor "explained" her dedication to a careful adherence to the Constitution, and her rejection of identity politics. The senators knew she was lying, but pretended to believe her so that they could vote for her. It was obvious that the senators didn't really believe her, but the press pretended her lies really had changed some senators' minds. None of the people involved expected to be believed -- not Sotomoayor, not the senators, not the press, but they knew their lies would generate other lies that would generate other lies that would generate still other lies -- all leading to the Senate's triumphant and long-inevitable endorsement of Sotomayor as Supreme Court Justice.

It makes one believe in an infinite regress.

Barbara

What is truly remarkable is the amount of bare-faced lying that goes on at such hearings. Sotomayor "explained" her dedication to a careful adherence to the Constitution, and her rejection of identity politics. The senators knew she was lying, but pretended to believe her so that they could vote for her. It was obvious that the senators didn't really believe her, but the press pretended her lies really had changed some senators' minds. None of the people involved expected to be believed -- not Sotomoayor, not the senators, not the press, but they knew their lies would generate other lies that would generate other lies that would generate still other lies -- all leading to the Senate's triumphant and long-inevitable endorsement of Sotomayor as Supreme Court Justice.

It makes one believe in an infinite regress.

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

I haven't had the "pleasure" of watching the confirmation hearings, but I know exactly what you mean. It is amazing, as I've grown older and wiser, how much more aware I have become of the lies that politicians tell almost constantly. Having a solid understanding of right and wrong and a firm grip on one's own beliefs really makes a person much more aware of lies, evasions, and half truths being told by others as well as cases of honest confusion.

And I agree, having seen a few clips of Sotomayor on the news, that she is being plainly dishonest. I just wish someone would call her on it. Is it impossible to have a politician with courage and integrity? It's so incredibly aggravating to watch such spectacles.

Darrell