The Most Profound 3:22 in Music

Robert Jones

Edward Elgar's 9th "Enigma" Variation, "Nimrod" (after A.J. Jaeger), as conducted by Sir John Barbirolli, with the Halle Orchestra.

I can listen to it over and over again, and I close my eyes, and in my mind's eye I see the great Sir Winston Churchill, seated, stogey in hand, stern and resolute as photographed by Youssef Karsh, hearing him intoning these immortal lines from Shakespeare's Richard II:

This royal throne of kings, this scepter’d isle,

This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,

This other Eden, demi-paradise,

This fortress built by nature for herself,

Against infection and the hand of war,

This happy breed of men, this little world,

This precious stone set in a silver sea,

Which serves it in the office of a wall,

Or as a moat defensive to a house,

Against the envy of less happier lands,

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

Edited by Robert Jones

• 8 months later...

What: Still no reply? What's the deal? I'm listening to Elgar's Introduction and Allegro for Strings, and while not as passionate as Wagner, it's pretty damned passionate for British music.

Hello? Anyone? Bueller?

Elgar is a magnificent composer. We played several of his works, including a very beautiful cello concerto, when I was still in the symphony orchestra in São Paulo.

Michael

I know that everyone is really enamored with the Jacqueline duPree recording with Barbirolli that got a second wind after the movie "Hilary and Jackie" came out. But my all-time favorite is Andre Navarra's 1957 recording with Barbirolli. When it comes to Elgar, Barbirolli couldn't be touched.

I envy you: To play trombone for an Elgar piece!

Okay, okay. I heard it live recently. I was impressed. It had a dignity to it that reminded me of the middle section of Holst's "Jupiter", which is one of my favorites of all time.

:)

Judith

Edited by Judith

The Enigma Variations is a fascinating work...and Leonard Bernstein actually saw it built around Nimrod, taking that particular variation at a much slower tempo than many other conductors. I agree with you, Robert, that Barbirolli was an almost matchless exponent, especially when linked with the Halle Orchestra.

Can I guide you towards Elgar's 1st Symphony? Although the opening movement is a massive and substantive statement, I am forever particularly captivated by movements 2,3 and 4. The scherzo is urgent and exciting, the adagio is deeply moving, and the finale drives inexorably towards a triumphant conclusion.

There is so much to admire in this work - it is my favourite Elgar piece.

Also, if you like Mahler's song cycles, then listen to Sea Pictures.

Can anyone perceive a Mahler / Elgar link?

The British often just see Elgar as a great British composer....the world sees Elgar as a great composer.