Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, Requiescat en Pace

Robert Jones

A beautiful voice has passed on. I just found out that soprano Elisabeth Schwarzkopf is no longer among us. She died at her home in Austria, at 90 years old.

She had a breathtaking voice, rivalling even Kirsten Flagstad and Helen Traubel performing Wagner. Schwarzkopf sang a heart-wrenching Bruennhilde. Her recording of Don Giovanni was also a gem.

She was also quite a looker during her younger years.

I to read about and was sadden by the death of Elisabeth Schwarzkopf. I was also sadden by the fact that discussions of her politics seemed to be the principle thing about her career. The Washington Post in their obit talked more about her membership in the Nazi Party. This was during World War II. In their appreciation they talked more about here musical career and her magnificant voice.

I to read about and was sadden by the death of Elisabeth Schwarzkopf. I was also sadden by the fact that discussions of her politics seemed to be the principle thing about her career. The Washington Post in their obit talked more about her membership in the Nazi Party. This was during World War II. In their appreciation they talked more about here musical career and her magnificant voice.

It's not as if she were Leni Riefenstahl, who used concentration camp prisoners as extras in a drama she directed, or make a documelodrama glorifying Hitler. Schwarzkopf was a soprano for crying out loud! (Still, even when approaching a Riefenstahl work of legitimate artistic and technical excellence os "Olympia," even despite her ambiguous Nazi associations, one has to approach it almost exclusively from the POV of an artist, not propagandist. but, I digress).

I listenened again to my recording of Don Giovanni (conducted by Giulini) and she was magnificent in it! While not as dramatic as Flagstad, Schwarzkopf had this achingly beautiful purity of tone I've not heard in any other soprano, and she could hit the coloratura notes without cracking.

Are there any recordings you recommend. Thanks!

Most of what I have is on vinyl, but here is some of the best of what's available on CD:

Schuber: 24 Lieder (EMI)

The Very Best of Elizabeth Schwarzkopf (EMI)

Songs You Love by Elisabeth Schwarzkopf (EMI)

Wagner: Goetterdaemmerung Bayrueth Festspiel Orchestra (Melodram)

Mozart: Don Giovanni. w/Philharmonia Orchestra, Giulini (EMI)

Elizabeth Schwarzkopf: Mozart Arias (EMI)