A Little Thank-You Cookie for OL Members

Rich Engle

Hey-howdio, OL friends--

As some of you know, my reputation includes the questionable distinction of being a musician/songwriter. I just got done busting tail getting a first album finished, an independent release titled "TV Glare," with my band "On The Air." It took a number of years to do this, performing, saving money, the whole process of composition, recording...the usual.

All through this, I have had an amazing amount of positive feedback and encouragement from the people on OL, starting with Michael. Often, the input I received during this time significantly affected my decisions about how to do things.

At first, I was just going to do the usual dealio (for what it is worth), and pick one tune that would be available, gratis. I did that before with one of them, "The Failed Collosus," pre-mastering.

So here's what I decided to do:

Following are brief descriptions of the 11 songs on the album. You can pick any one of those you want, and I will send it to you in mp3 format. That's really all I can do, and it's only for registered OL people. Pick one you think you want (or ask me if not sure), and email me direct: rdengle@msn.com . I will send it over to you and hope you enjoy it. I think this is better than just sticking a single tune out there. I only ask that you use discretion after that. If you wish to get the whole CD, send an email to me and I will make it so. It will also be available on www.cdbaby.com in download form. Here's the cuts:

1. Profiler This is a heavy-duty piece, exploring the inside of of a serial killer, and it is narrated. Our engineer's 6 yr. old son, Mikey, was given performance

credit for saying "Yes." Not for tea-parties.

2. Let Me See Your Hands Jazzy, starts with finger snaps. Basically, swinging blues, with sonic benefits. This and cut 1 were written by my bassist, who is a

policeman. A scenario/sketch piece.

3. Sad Girl Eastern-feel, featuring the unique, native-Ukranian sound of my violinist, Oksana Melnychenko, MM. Oksana's primary discipline is conducting (with a real baton), followed by violin, then piano. She is the real deal, and when I met her, barely knew who the Beatles were (she was raised up since 9 in the Russian music/trade school of teaching music--highly disciplined, to say the least). Gypsy, vaguely Zep rock feel, nice violin/guitar thing in the middle, over a somewhat habanera-feeling rhythm. About a woman, her isolation.

4. Failed Collossus An ancient statue, finally collapsing before the ocean. Power ballad. Catharsis for people that have had too much Randian thought..

5, Vital Signs What amounts to vintage jazz-fusion rhythms and soloing, over the topic regarding trying to make connection with another. A fast break near-end, with some dueling guitar/violin. Originally, we started out "trading eights," and using elements like the Indian musicians use, like tutti The textures, broken rhythms, and the overall things gotten from that are interesting, when you write tunes involving athletic players. One of the first listeners of this told me it reminded her of Celtic music, which she favored. So actually, it is native folk music, just with amps and fun and stuff.

6. Thief of Fire A powerful love ballad. Perhaps a brief nod to Rimbaud, but I am not sure. Probably the best engineered track on the album. A nod to informed vintage art-rock bands such as Renaissance; we didn't plan it that way, but she ends up sounding a lot like Annie Haslam on this one.

7. TV Glare The title track. Today, I was pleased to see a thread discussing the numbing effects of TV, etc. Phil Coates pulled out a hard one. We did this song many ways for over 20 years. This is Bohemian rock-stuff: we had trouble levelling it down during mastering. The cover art reflects this theme.

8. Denial An honest, melancholy, breakup song. You can feel the regret. It gradually builds over an ascending, wide-range droney chord base.

9. =[Brick Wall I consider this the passive-aggressive counter to Track 7. Female rage and frustration, over a vintage, hippy kind of arrangement. Very funny Vox guitar stuff, with a pulsing beat.

10. Sweet Lies The earliest song rendered by this unit. Vintage feel, sort of going for the sound you hear when you listen to Deep Purple; the mix between organ and guitar. We did it with guitar and violin. Hard rock, with solos and crashy drums.

11. Talking In My Sleep The last track, and my favorite. This is Jungian, and many other ingredients. A ballad/power rock mix. Discovering the nature of the unconsious.

So there they are, boys and girls. Belly up to the bar and you get one choice each. rdengle@msn.com

Cookies are served.

Edited by Rich Engle

4. [Failed Collossus An ancient statue, finally collapsing before the ocean. Power ballad. Catharsis for people that have had too much Randian thought..

Cookies are served.

One kind offer deserves another.

Here is a poem by Shelly:

Ozymandias

I met a traveller from an antique land,

Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown

And wrinkled hp and sneer of cold command,

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,

Which yet survive stamped on these lifeless things,

The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;

.And on the pedestal these words appear:

'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;

Look on my works. Ye Mighty, and despair!'

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Ah, that made me feel good... :)

So which one do you want? Email me. rdengle@msn.com

rde

And oh, yeah, I'm watching you guys... ;)

Does that mean we can air baton together on the beach, someday?

Thanks, Maestro :heart:

rde

Rolls for cover, smells rotting wine in the swamp.

If any of the rest of you would still like me to send you one song (mp3) of your choice from my new album, I am still doing that for awhile. If you want to pick, look at the descriptions of the songs I provided. Or, if you are not sure, I'll just pick one for you.

Simply email me directly at: rdengle@msn.com and I'll send it over, and a scan of the cover art, if you wish.

Thanks again for the moral support (literally) that helped me git 'er done, and also to those I've already sent stuff to.

I can go on with this for a bit longer, just easier right now to do so because it fits in the other workflow.

rde

Edited by Rich Engle

Hey Rich,

OMG, loooong time no talk. I hope all is well. It's been a while since we last talked but I just haven't had a whole lot of time, especially lately. Although it's been almost a year since I last came to OL or at least signed on, I kinda sorta had to come here to send some mails because they just won't go through on my private account. Sorry to make this so short but had to stop by and say hi to ya and hope the move has treated you well and beneficial all the way around as I know you needed it!!! Oh, and also great job on getting the album out, a lot of hard work, sweat, and tears I am sure but well worth it I am sure!!! I would be interested in hearing some of it!!

Angie

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

The CD is fully up and running for distribution, a la carte or full downloads, previews, and CD packages themselves.

www.cdbaby.com/cd/ota

rde

www.myspace.com/richarddengle

www.myspace.com/ontheairtvglare