Gulch's Taxs at "work"?? Mini O'Biwan Devon Patrick!

Selene

"The Wall Street Journal Online - Best of the the Web Today Email

Online Journal E-Mail Center

May 8, 2009 -- 4:53 p.m.

See all of today's editorials and op-eds, video interviews and commentary on Opinion Journal.

FORMAT TODAY'S COLUMN FOR PRINTING

Our Freewheeling Era

Massachusetts gives cars to welfare recipients. Can we at least make them drive Chryslers?

By JAMES TARANTO

Massachusetts Republicans--yes, there are a few--are raising objections to a state program that helps welfare recipients increase their carbon footprints, the Boston Herald reports:

"It's mind-boggling. You've got people out there saying, 'I just lost my job. Hey, can I get a free car, too?' " said House Minority Leader Brad Jones (R-North Reading). . . .

"Given the state's fiscal condition, paying for AAA and auto inspection costs is outrageous," said Senate Minority Leader Richard Tisei (R-Wakefield). "There are so many families out there trying to deal with layoffs and pay cuts. You have to wonder what the state's priorities are at this point."

Democrats defend the program, whose funding Gov. Deval Patrick seeks to increase by 7.5%, as a welfare-to-work effort. To get the cars, welfare recipients must have a job or job offer, and they have to show that they cannot reach work via public transportation.

But Julia Kehoe, head of the Department of Transitional Assistance, "admitted about 20 percent of those who received a car ended up back on welfare, and while they lose the insurance and other benefits, they don't have to return the car." At the very least, it would make sense for the state to take those cars away from uninsured deadbeats.

Here's another thought, though: The federal government is spending billions of dollars to keep General Motors and Chrysler in business. Why not expand the Massachusetts program so that welfare recipients nationwide get free cars--with the proviso that only GM and Chrysler models are eligible?

Everyone would benefit from such an arrangement (except taxpayers). No longer would anyone have to suffer the indignity of lacking a car because of inability to pay. The troubled car companies would have a guaranteed market. And the poor would have an incentive to lift themselves out of poverty, so that they would no longer have to drive inferior cars.

We could call the program Lemon Aid."

They're here!!!!

Adam

"The Wall Street Journal Online - Best of the the Web Today Email

Online Journal E-Mail Center

May 8, 2009 -- 4:53 p.m.

See all of today's editorials and op-eds, video interviews and commentary on Opinion Journal.

FORMAT TODAY'S COLUMN FOR PRINTING

Our Freewheeling Era

Massachusetts gives cars to welfare recipients. Can we at least make them drive Chryslers?

By JAMES TARANTO

Massachusetts Republicans--yes, there are a few--are raising objections to a state program that helps welfare recipients increase their carbon footprints, the Boston Herald reports:

"It's mind-boggling. You've got people out there saying, 'I just lost my job. Hey, can I get a free car, too?' " said House Minority Leader Brad Jones (R-North Reading). . . .

"Given the state's fiscal condition, paying for AAA and auto inspection costs is outrageous," said Senate Minority Leader Richard Tisei (R-Wakefield). "There are so many families out there trying to deal with layoffs and pay cuts. You have to wonder what the state's priorities are at this point."

Democrats defend the program, whose funding Gov. Deval Patrick seeks to increase by 7.5%, as a welfare-to-work effort. To get the cars, welfare recipients must have a job or job offer, and they have to show that they cannot reach work via public transportation.

But Julia Kehoe, head of the Department of Transitional Assistance, "admitted about 20 percent of those who received a car ended up back on welfare, and while they lose the insurance and other benefits, they don't have to return the car." At the very least, it would make sense for the state to take those cars away from uninsured deadbeats.

Here's another thought, though: The federal government is spending billions of dollars to keep General Motors and Chrysler in business. Why not expand the Massachusetts program so that welfare recipients nationwide get free cars--with the proviso that only GM and Chrysler models are eligible?

Everyone would benefit from such an arrangement (except taxpayers). No longer would anyone have to suffer the indignity of lacking a car because of inability to pay. The troubled car companies would have a guaranteed market. And the poor would have an incentive to lift themselves out of poverty, so that they would no longer have to drive inferior cars.

We could call the program Lemon Aid."

They're here!!!!

Adam

Adam -

It's hard to do caricature anymore. Reality trumps the attempt.

Bill P

Yes Bill. Sad to say.

The marxists used to make fun of the examples from the "horror file" in the 60's.

I do not see many smiles anymore.

Top income tax rate in Great Britain is 61% or higher.

Adam

Yes Bill. Sad to say.

The marxists used to make fun of the examples from the "horror file" in the 60's.

I do not see many smiles anymore.

Top income tax rate in Great Britain is 61% or higher.

Adam

I really enjoyed the horror file material in the periodicals. (I'm certain someone will say that says something damning about my sense of life, now...)

Bill P

Petty people have to live with themselves 24 hours a day - they deserve themselves...

we only have to hear them carping every once in while, but we should never suffer them

kindly or just wonder how miserable they are every waking hour lol