OBJECTIVIST LIVING IS ALIVE AND WELL.

Victor Pross

Brant of SLOP wrote:

Objectivist Living is having trouble getting back up and running after being hacked in late July. I estimate that at least three weeks of its postings, actual and not realized, going back to July 15 are gone. Also probably gone is what participatory dynamics that site had. In short, it may be ruined. The moral? The need for effective security and back up systems for such endeavors.

While it's true having effective security and back up systems is good, it's not true that the "participatory dynamics" of this site is lacking or that OL is dead. (Of course, only we can decide that).

As far as I'm concerned, OL is alive and well. Me? I have many interesting articles to post in due time---and one in particular will be a lot of fun! Just wait. MSK knows what I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

Okay, here's a hint: one power-luster onSLOP wrote "...And you've a fucking cheek accusing me of trying to silence anyone. I could silence you with the click of a check-box, but don't."

Oh, can you feel the power? Arrgh! He can crush you like a bug--but doesn't. BUT he wants you to know he COULD...if he wanted to. Don't forget that! :angry:

Victor

Edited by Victor Pross

Victor,

Thank you for that.

Probably the "participatory dynamics" that guy mentioned were the OL links that linked back to the old domain. They don't work any more.

Kat and I knew this would be a lot of work if the domain was changed, but now, instead of "objectivistliving" being rerouted to "wheelerdesignworks," it stays as it is. This was reason enough to do it, but another strong reason was that the security and backup routines of the software company were so impressive that we went with their hosting. These people really know what they are doing. For example, they are currently closing a deal with Yahoo to do its forum work.

We are in excellent hands (and I have some redundant backup routines also). All this extra work now means that the links and formatting (some of which got strange in the data conversion and recuperation process) have to be changed by hand. There are over 6,300 posts on OL to date, so this cannot be done in a day. Kat and I will be on it until every single thread and post has been examined and corrected. (Roger Bissell is also graciously helping with some stuff in the Corners of Insight.)

As a start, the links in the OL Updates (in the OL Updates section in the Corner Office) all work now, as well as the list of works by author. Also, the links in the posts to where they link to work and most of the formatting of these secondary places has been done. After this, I intend to go down the board, thread by thread, changing and fixing what is wrong.

Meanwhile, we got most all of the pictures of the posters up and recovered from other sources a lot of text lost in the black hole of July 17-27 2006. Kat is also working on getting some technical things even easier than they are.

I only mention all this, Victor, because several OL posters expressed insecurity from listening to that guy (and some others) who like to bitch, but do little else in life. I might even like to pay more attention to them myself, but I am too busy right now with rebuilding the damaged parts and building the new ones of this site. Frankly, the "participatory dynamics" will come from the OL posters themselves jumping back in, and we have a marvelous group of people here. I have no doubt that after the newness wears off, people will be writing and interacting more than ever.

btw - We have some other goodies on the way when most of the rebuilding work gets done, like personal blogs and an image gallery.

I already love all these resources much more than the other site. And they are very easy to learn once you start.

Michael

I think that one of these days Brant will wake up and looking at his Solo buddies wonder: "What the hell am I doing here? Are these people really my kind of people?" He will then have discovered that KASS really means "kiss ass". Namely Perigo's ass. Or else. What a wonderful friend who calls you a sanctimonious waffler or Saddam's cock-sucker when you disagree with him! Oh well, just turn the other cheek again...

It's kind of nice that all the sourpusses are confined to one location- they can enjoy one another, just like we do. Well, not just like...

"Participatory Dynamics." That got pulled out of somewhere dark, deep, and slightly musty-smelling.

South Park Kenny of SLOP writes:

"I saw that Victor was trying to get back on by cheating after being banned for plagiarism - another form of

cheating that I deplore. I always regret losing my cool and this occasion was no exception."

Huh-huh. This short-fused, mean-spirit, male harpy lost his temper--in part--due to ME! Too bad his temper is for naught considering he has his facts mixed up.

Again:

1. I wasn't banned on SLOP because of plagiarism. In fact, Lindsay practically begged me to say (yes, truly) when I sent him a message telling him that I'm leaving---and that I'm taking the posts I contributed with me. Linz asked me to "work it out" with Jason, to "please, please work it out".

Why did I want to leave? Jason admitted to me in private email that his actions towards me were motivated by malice (can you imagine?). Jason is the real reason why I decided to leave.

2. Weeks later, I returned---as Victor Pross---posting a few casual remarks. I was banned and then lied about: it was said that I "trolled" back under an alias. I came back a "new person" in intentions considering that Linz invited me!

Why then banned? Because I said nasty truth-related things about SLOP, here at OL. That's a fact. Jason, I'm sorry to say, is an ass. I'm doubtful that he "demoted himself"; I think Linz...er..."helped" him.

Why do I dig this up? Why not? Read B. Branden's Objectivist Rage and you'll spot text-book examples of the caricatures Miss Branden identifies in both Kenny, Linz and Jason. There they are.

Lastly, I would like to say (no brown-nosing intended; it's my actual feeling) that OL feels much more like "home" to me than the SLOP snake pit of ill-will.

Victor

Edited by Victor Pross

Whether you're on OL or SOLOP has something to do with how you view Objectivism, and more to do with temperament. The prevailing sentiments over there regarding the usefulness of anger are telling. The way Barbara is talked about is telling.

It just wasn't the right place for you, Victor. As far as the scuttlebutt about you, do you really give an eff? I never get gunned over there, but they could do it everyday and it just wouldn't matter to me, because I find the meanness to be harmful only to the person who tries to dish it out.

It's like Nathaniel B. when he talks about how we can't control other people's behavior, but we surely can our own. And that's a full time job for some of us... :rolleyes: