Obama gets tested, again

From AP:

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) - Somali pirates on Wednesday hijacked a U.S.-flagged cargo ship with 21 crew members aboard, a diplomat and a U.S. Navy spokesman said.

So, another test of Obama. Will he respond vigorously? Or will we see a long, drawn-out melodrama, with US citizens having their lives at risk?

Bill P

The real aspect of Americans that makes us Americans.

"'The crew is back in control of the ship,' a U.S. official said at midday, speaking on condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to speak on the record. 'It's reported that one pirate is on board under crew control—the other three were trying to flee,' the official said. The status of the other pirates was unknown, the official said, but they were reported to 'be in the water.'"

The crew apparently contacted the private shipping that it works for. That company, Maersk, scheduled a noon news conference in Norfolk, Va, defense officials said.

Adam

Edited by Selene

Fox News is reporting that the Captain is still being held hostage. So I'm not sure how accurate the report is of the other three being in the water. A bit confusing.

Has there been official word from the White House yet on this?

~ Shane

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think they are looking for the International 911 number that connects them quickly to the UN thug who is answering the phone.

In other words nothing. Apparently, O'Biwan the MAGNIFICENT is having a relax day.

Apparently, US warships are en route - several hours away at best.

Adam

Folks:

And thanks for that update sbeaulieu, I just walked in from a seminar that I attend on Wednesday nights.

I have a friend and client who is 22 years in the merchant marine and I am calling to find out if he was on that ship. I did this when the Muslim, did I mention that the Somali pirates were MUSLIM, terrorist hit our Marines in Lebanon. One of my young friends who worked for me in politics and who I coached in sports was in that Marine detachment.

I had his mother call me in tears because she could not find out if "Murph" was dead or injured. I woke Congressman Gary Ackermann up at 1:00 AM and calmly explained that all I needed to know was the status of this Marine. Within 45 minutes I had the answer that thankfully he had been rotated to his ship two days before and he was fine. We allowed a wonderful Marine mother and father to have some closure to the blind fear they had that night.

I will give Gary one kudo, he takes care of his constituents. I have known him for about 42 years since he had the proverbial VW psychedelic bus and we smoked hoops in the back. He graduated from the same public school as I attended some two years before me.

To those of you who do not know Gary, you have seen him on TV bites. He used to be the obese left wing Congressman from the North Shore of Long Island with the white carnation in his lapel [his signature device].

Recently, you may have seen him as the thinner left wing Congressman with the white carnation in his label.

Adam