Where's the Advice on Sex thread ??

CNA

I'm so bummed that the thread didn't make it through. That thread was a lot of fun and had me bustin' up left and right. Everything from furniture to power tools and hemis and power surges to eventually the veggie place and kitchen sink would have been thrown into the mix some how. LOL

Would really enjoy that thread to come back because it had many people bustin' a gut over it. I know I was laughing my ass off over it !!

Angie

Never fear, Angie! Where there's dirt, there's a way!

Here is what started the original thread: an article dated July 20, 2006 called Sex Advice from Objectivists - interviews posted on the Nerve website and conducted by Kate Sullivan. She interviewed Michael, Heidi, Joshua and Jamie at The Fountainhead Cafe in Manhattan.

On The Fountainhead Cafe Reason's "Hit and Run" blog has an entry entitled Objective Tomatoes at the Fountainhead Cafe and there is an article in the May 29, 2006 issue of New York Magazine called The Soda Fountainhead. It is a vegetarian restaurant, contradicting a strange view held by some that vegetarianism is not only anti-Objectivist, it is evil.

Incredibly, the guy who owns this restaurant is named Brandon (but with an "o" not an "e"). Here is a quote from the magazine article:

Brandon serves juice (“The Howard Roark” is carrot and ginger) and “Full of Thought” salads and will offer free Wi-Fi and a full collection of Rand’s works.

Now, folks, there's the sex advice and eats from the black hole (I refer to the dates of July 17-27 2006 and nothing else you may have thought of). You all are going to have to do something about the furniture.

Michael

Maestro MSK says we need to go shopping at Akia, Pier 1, or somewhere:

"You all are going to have to do something about the furniture."

I agree with Angie that truly, this thread might've been the greatest loss of all. Metaphysics, schmetaphysics-it could never compare to a night of dining, drinking, and the Horizontal Tango.

Furniture? Well, first purchases are important, esp. for playboys and playgirls on a budget. But, it might be so that 1000.00 US is worth throwing down for a Tantra Chair www.tantrachair.com .

If not, here is a brief instructional. I just went through it, having been released into the wild about six months ago, and simultaneously finding a true love. Let's just say I felt a sense of urgency as far as outfitting goes... Fortunately I have moved on to a more advanced version, as far as furnishings go.

HOW TO CREATE YOUR ZEN LOVE NEST, ON THE CHEAP

1. You might find yourself in circumstances such that you do not even have a bed. Fear not...

First thing is that you can nest without one. It does require a little snagging, a little creativity. Look for anything nest-able: big pillows, Mexican blankets, coverlets, anything along this line. If you are on bare floor, you can still make it through, but it is imperative to jack up the aesthetics! Beanbag chairs are a major score, but caveat: check carefully for leakouts, or you will be sorry; if you ever spilled a shipping container full of foam peanuts, think of that on the nuclear level. Pillows, cushions in general become devices for specific deployment in specific situations, if you get my meaning. If you are so fortunate as to acquire a mattress, don't hold out until you get a bedframe and headboard- guns forward. Another thing, and take me on faith: nothing says "come do me" like a couple of piled up, king size air mattresses. Invest fifteen bucks in a pump, use it often.

2. The Two Critical Components: Incense, and Candles. Sounds cliche, but trust me, this will roll your feng shui in a pinch. Make sure you have lots of both. If you are super on the cheap, go to a dollar store, and get the American Indian stuff for a buck (look for names like "Happy House Blessing," and such). Later, upgrade to the good stuff. As to candles, mix it up; tea candles will totally get you through, and you can do a ton of different things with them. Combine with other, larger ones, but be careful about scents, esp. if you are already on the incense. Picture a Shinto altar. Yes, very non-Objectivist, but keep the objective in mind.

3. If you can manage it, keep an eye out at the cheap places for a little motorized fountain. But, watch out- try first, if possible: some of them have way too loud motors, and that's a buzz-kill. Look for Conair products (yes, like the blow dryers)- they are very cheap. Of course, better can be had, but I don't see the point of ripping the budget too hard. VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure that you tend to the water level- if you forget this, the fountain will dry out some, and start making an obnoxious sucking sound, ruining your kung fu.

4. Learn how to fold and drape fabrics. Learn how to cover windows with taste.

5. A small end table or coffee table will absolutely cover everything you need, believe it or not. Don't load up the room, go for minimalism, with flair.

6. Fans. Get one if it is ever hot where you live. As a matter of fact, just get one.

7. Run solely by candlelight during engagement. But, have a small light available for pre- and post- a lot of times, you can just run with a socket nightlite- a little goes a long way.

8. Security: On the minimum, never have your shoes and slacks away from arm's reach. If you've ever had to flee a room bareback, you know what I'm talking about.

9. Have a small, dedicated area for hand towels, oil, power tools, whatever you're into. Post-engagement cleanup linen=considerate. Bottled water, cold.

10. Wall hangings. Personally, I go for stuff like Klimpt's "The Kiss," and Japanese-type stuff. Sometimes I have offset that with Ayn Rand related posters; if you go to the store over at The Atlas Society, get the ballerina poster- it's a slam dunk. In general: keep it to a minimum.

11. Music. This is a hotbed of contention. Even though I'm a working musician, I tend to not use any, ever- I find it distracting most times. On the other hand, if you go for it, go for it. A few guidelines:

Avoid the smarmy New Age stuff, it is too overt. The environmental stuff is OK, I guess, but again, minimalism is the key. You're not in a rain forest, don't act like you are. ABOVE ALL, AVOID KENNY G.- dates have been known to flee. Certain classical stuff is good. Or, if you have the cajones for it, go to the brothers, they are the ultimate lovenest builders. Example: Earth, Wind & Fire's "Jungle Boogie." Trust me. James Brown is almost 99% homerun. Try metal on occasion, but make sure you are up to aerobic standards. Again, normally I start with wine and music, but not upon retiring to the boudoir.

12. If you live with roomates, it might be such that you have room choices. Even if the room is the smallest, it is still the best if it is the most far away from everything else. Believe it. Oh, and make sure the door has a latch/lock. Use it.

13. Adjoining service areas: keep your bathroom clean. If you are a guy, take a serious look at your toilet. A serious look. Fix it.

14. Have either a guest bathrobe, or some other lounging-type garment available for your partner. This is because if they have come to visit, they almost always forget to bring something to slip into during halftime breaks.

There, that should be enough to get you rolling. Remember, guidelines only, make it your own.

rde

International Atomic Playboy

Edited by Rich Engle

Whatever happened to that tantra chair thing?

Michael

Tantra Chair update. First off, for those who lost it: www.tantrachair.com. Enjoy the graphics.

Sadly, we are in delay on building our replica. Oddly enough, this is because our furniture builder has gotten caught up in a heavy romance that my associate/roomie and I both see as destined for failure. But, he is amok, and there is no talking to him. The prototype drawings and specs are complete, we just can't get him to pay attention to anything right now.