Puerto Rico, Colonization and Patriots

edonate

I'm curious about what people on the forum think of Puerto Rico's current situation in the United States. Here are some facts about their situation.

1. Puerto Ricans living in Puerto Rico, cannot vote in the presidential elections. They can vote when they live in the United States.

2. Puerto Rico has a representative in the United State legislature but he can only vote in committees.

3. Puerto Rico doesn't have a standing army, currently if a Puerto Rican wants to join a military, they must join the United States military.

4. Puerto Rico has its own constitution.

5. Most Federal Taxes do not apply to Puerto Rico. However Puerto Ricans in PR pay: social security and medicare, import/export taxes, federal comodity taxes and some others I'm not aware of.

6. US Federal laws apply to Puerto Rico, and Puerto Rico is part of the 1st Federal Judicial Circuit

7. Puerto Ricans born in Puerto Rico after 1941 are considered US citizens and can run for president.

8. Local self-government can be unilaterally revoked by the U.S. Congress.

9. U.S. can withdraw the U.S. citizenship of PR residents of PR at any time.

I can't think of anything else at the moment to add into this list. What I'd like to know is what you think about Puerto Rico's status within the United States. Statehood? or maintaining a commonwealth i.e. the status quo, or complete independence from the United States?

I'm curious about what people on the forum think of Puerto Rico's current situation in the United States. Here are some facts about their situation.

1. Puerto Ricans living in Puerto Rico, cannot vote in the presidential elections. They can vote when they live in the United States.

2. Puerto Rico has a representative in the United State legislature but he can only vote in committees.

3. Puerto Rico doesn't have a standing army, currently if a Puerto Rican wants to join a military, they must join the United States military.

4. Puerto Rico has its own constitution.

5. Most Federal Taxes do not apply to Puerto Rico. However Puerto Ricans in PR pay: social security and medicare, import/export taxes, federal comodity taxes and some others I'm not aware of.

6. US Federal laws apply to Puerto Rico, and Puerto Rico is part of the 1st Federal Judicial Circuit

7. Puerto Ricans born in Puerto Rico after 1941 are considered US citizens and can run for president.

8. Local self-government can be unilaterally revoked by the U.S. Congress.

9. U.S. can withdraw the U.S. citizenship of PR residents of PR at any time.

I can't think of anything else at the moment to add into this list. What I'd like to know is what you think about Puerto Rico's status within the United States. Statehood? or maintaining a commonwealth i.e. the status quo, or complete independence from the United States?

On several occasions the P.R. s had plebicites to be independent. On every such occasion they voted to stay as part of the U.S. under the circumstances you have listed. They can leave the U.S. any time they want to. They just don't want to. Since they have chosen to stay, apparently they do not feel they are put upon.

Ba'al Chatzaf