Anyone here attending this event in Austin on March 4th?

SherryTX

This link has all the details on the speakers, directions, etc.

http://www.utbbtchairobjectivism.com/

This event is at the University of Texas in Austin, and my husband and I are hoping to go - if we can get a babysitter for all the minions. If not, since that day is my birthday, the husband has graciously agreed that if one of us gets to go, I will - and he will manage the offspring. =)

Anyway, I am VERY excited about this! And, although I am looking forward to the lectures, I really hope Tara Smith will be there and I will get to meet her. I am a huge fan of her book Ayn Rand's Normative Ethics and hoping if I do get to meet her she won't think I am lame if I ask for her autograph. I seriously enjoyed the book that much.

Any way - anyone else planning on attending? I have a group of friends that plan on going as well, but if there are any peeps here that are going, I would love to meet you in person. If you are going, please consider sending me a PM so that I can look out for you and say "hey!"

I suppose I might catch part of this. I didn't even know about it.

It's sponsored by the BB&T Chair for the Study of Objectivism and the Anthem Fellowship for the Study of Objectivism. ARI does have it on their event list under "other events".

Honestly, I don't offer check the ARI site for events because usually they are out in California. However, one of my local Objectivist friends is much better keeping an eye on local appearances than I am, so fortunately he let myself and several mutual friends know about it.

This event has all of the marks of an ARI-sponsored production. The speakers are the usual suspects.

That said, at least two of them should be really good: Jeff Britting and Shoshana Milgram.

And the other two will be OK.

Even though Tara Smith is not on the speaker program, she must have been involved in organizing the event, and I would be extremely surprised if she were not on hand.

Robert Campbell

This event has all of the marks of an ARI-sponsored production. The speakers are the usual suspects.

That said, at least two of them should be really good: Jeff Britting and Shoshana Milgram.

Even though Tara Smith is not on the speaker program, she must have been involved in organizing the event, and I would be extremely surprised if she were not on hand.

Robert Campbell

Oh I have no doubts it is ARI-ish. But I am quite happy to go. I certainly do not view them as a perfect organization, but I am open to attending lectures by their speakers and have been to several the past few years and enjoyed them immensely. Probably the only ones I would decline going to would be if they were political in nature. I don't really care for those so much, and I can always watch Yaron and others online, or read the ARI OpEd pieces, or TOS if I have the urge to see what's going on with them and politics.

Robert Campbell

Oh I have no doubts it is ARI-ish. But I am quite happy to go. I certainly do not view them as a perfect organization, but I am open to attending lectures by their speakers and have been to several the past few years and enjoyed them immensely. Probably the only ones I would decline going to would be if they were political in nature. I don't really care for those so much, and I can always watch Yaron and others online, or read the ARI OpEd pieces, or TOS if I have the urge to see what's going on with them and politics.

I suspect Smith will be there - isn't she a major recipient of a BBT grant, if not a chair?

Bill P

Robert Campbell

I suspect Smith will be there - isn't she a major recipient of a BBT grant, if not a chair?

Bill P

I think so. Though I could be wrong on that.

Sherry,

Sorry if I came across dyspeptically...

I would attend the event if I lived closer (or had an excuse to travel to Austin, where I went to grad school).

Tara Smith gets funding from both BB&T and the Anthem Foundation, so it would be quite a shock for her not to be at the event.

Robert Campbell

Robert C:

Don't speak alphabet - "BB&T" means?

Adam

Sherry,

Sorry if I came across dyspeptically...

I would attend the event if I lived closer (or had an excuse to travel to Austin, where I went to grad school).

Tara Smith gets funding from both BB&T and the Anthem Foundation, so it would be quite a shock for her not to be at the event.

Robert Campbell

Oh no worries! =)

Robert C:

Don't speak alphabet - "BB&T" means?

Adam

Well they go by BB&T - and have for years.

I believe it is just an acronym for Branch Banking and Trust Company. However, they refer to the company as BB&T (much like AT&T does the past several years).

Here is a history of the bank here:

http://bbt.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=18&cat=8

• 3 weeks later...

I regret I wasn't able to make this - I was hit hard by the flu the whole week, and was unable to go.

Two of my friends did go, and said it was well worth the drive down to Austin.

I am curious if anyone here was able to go and what your impression was?

I regret I wasn't able to make this - I was hit hard by the flu the whole week, and was unable to go.

Two of my friends did go, and said it was well worth the drive down to Austin.

I am curious if anyone here was able to go and what your impression was?

I am sorry to hear that. Take plenty of liquids and dress warmly.

Ba'al Chatzaf