Reverse index?

Does anyone know of a simple way to find out if a given essay or article in The Objectivist Newsletter, The Objectivist or The Ayn Rand Letter has been included in one of the volumes of collected Rand essays, and if so which one?

Bill P

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know of a simple way to find out if a given essay or article in The Objectivist Newsletter, The Objectivist or The Ayn Rand Letter has been included in one of the volumes of collected Rand essays, and if so which one?

Bill P

I do not know if there is an available version of a reverse index that would indicate which essay or article was, or was not, included in volumes of Rand's collected essays. ARI should have that information at hand or readily available, but I have not seen a reference to such a document.

Of course, a somewhat laborious and cumbersome way to find all that have been included is to review the contents of the published collections because they also list the published origin of each contribution. Then, check-off these same articles from the table of contents of the published collections of all copies of the periodicals that you mentioned.

An interesting document that approaches the organization of Objectivist articles in a different manner was a now out-of-print pamphlet published by NBI in 1967 (and later updated in the early 1980's by Peikoff and Kelley and re-published by The Objectivist, - and "edited" to purge Brandenian contributions!), entitled An Examination Study Guide to the Ethics of Objectivism, organized Objectivist contributions by General Subject Areas (Epistemology, Metaphysics, Ethics, Politics, etc.) and then by individual issues in each category (presented as "exam" questions) - with references as to where the answers could be found in the periodicals and books. This interesting and useful publication was somewhat irreverantly referred to at the time by some students of Objectivism as "The Objectivist Catechism." I still have a copy of this document.

Bill P

I do not know if there is an available version of a reverse index that would indicate which essay or article was, or was not, included in volumes of Rand's collected essays. ARI should have that information at hand or readily available, but I have not seen a reference to such a document.

Of course, a somewhat laborious and cumbersome way to find all that have been included is to review the contents of the published collections because they also list the published origin of each contribution. Then, check-off these same articles from the table of contents of the published collections of all copies of the periodicals that you mentioned.

An interesting document that approaches the organization of Objectivist articles in a different manner was a now out-of-print pamphlet published by NBI in 1967 (and later updated in the early 1980's by Peikoff and Kelley and re-published by The Objectivist, - and "edited" to purge Brandenian contributions!), entitled An Examination Study Guide to the Ethics of Objectivism, organized Objectivist contributions by General Subject Areas (Epistemology, Metaphysics, Ethics, Politics, etc.) and then by individual issues in each category (presented as "exam" questions) - with references as to where the answers could be found in the periodicals and books. This interesting and useful publication was somewhat irreverantly referred to at the time by some students of Objectivism as "The Objectivist Catechism." I still have a copy of this document.

I've got that one also (the 1967 version, that is).

Bill P

You can find many valuable lists here: Objectivism Reference Center

Fiddle around with the site and you will find what you are looking for.

Michael

Thanks. This is an excellent resource.

The link for The Objectivist Newsletter, for instance, is at:

http://www.noblesoul.com/orc/mags/obj_news_3.html

Thanks again.

Bill P