Objectivism's christening--

Roger Bissell

I was perusing Journals of Ayn Rand, and I noticed that the first time Rand mentioned in print the name of her philosophy, Objectivism, was in her journal entry of June 8, 1958. Is this the "christening date," the date on which Objectivism was named? Or did she use the name for her philosophical views prior to this?

I think the first time it appeared in print was in the introduction to For the New Intellectual in October of 1960. Since that was a public announcement of the name she chose for her philosophy--while her journal entry was private--maybe October 1960 should be taken as the christening date for Objectivism.

Certainly the conception and development of her philosophy had been going on for years, and Galt's Speech is even labeled "This is the Philosophy of Objectivism" in For the New Intellectual. Also, at some point in 1958 or shortly after, Nathaniel Branden began lecturing on Objectivism. Had it already been named prior to the journal entry?

Barbara, I'll bet you know more about this. Comments?

REB

I was perusing Journals of Ayn Rand, and I noticed that the first time Rand mentioned in print the name of her philosophy, Objectivism, was in her journal entry of June 8, 1958. Is this the "christening date," the date on which Objectivism was named? Or did she use the name for her philosophical views prior to this?

I think the first time it appeared in print was in the introduction to For the New Intellectual in October of 1960. Since that was a public announcement of the name she chose for her philosophy--while her journal entry was private--maybe October 1960 should be taken as the christening date for Objectivism.

Certainly the conception and development of her philosophy had been going on for years, and Galt's Speech is even labeled "This is the Philosophy of Objectivism" in For the New Intellectual. Also, at some point in 1958 or shortly after, Nathaniel Branden began lecturing on Objectivism. Had it already been named prior to the journal entry?

Barbara, I'll bet you know more about this. Comments?

REB

Roger, the name "Objectivism" was given to Ayn's philosophy some time before June of 1958. If my memory is correct, it was probably as early as 1956, and definitely no later than 1957. Nathaniel's first lecture series, which began in January of 1958, was entitled "Basic Principles of Objectivism."

Barbara