Happy Toilet Day!

I just learned that today is World Toilet Day!

Let's celebrate!

(Er... how?)

:)

Here is a cute article from Australia:

Experts call for end of flushing toilets on World Toilet Day

By Ian Rakowski

NEWS.com.au

November 19, 2008

Speaking at the recent World Toilet Summit in Macau, World Toilet Organisation founder Jack Sims said the concept of the flushing toilet was unsustainable.

Mr Sims said a culture where people flushed their loos but disregarded the thousands of litres of wasted drinking water each year was one of sanitation's greatest challenges.

"This 'flush and forget' attitude creates a new problem which we have to revisit," he said.

New toilet tax proposed

There have already been calls by Australian experts to reduce the amount of water wasted through toilet flushing with a proposed new toilet tax.

Toilet tax??? Whatta world!

I'm with one DStampfli who wrote a comment at the end of the original article:

Um... I'm not a rocket scientist... but don't we use water (no waste it?)... How can water be "wasted"?... Like where does it go? To a water graveyard never to be seen or used again?!

This whole affair kinda speaks for itself...

Michael

Someone obviously trying to find their place in the world. I could think of better things to do with my time. How will the world remember him? A toilet for a headstone with an epitaph that reads "Don't Flush!"?

~ Shane

Normally I wouldn't talk about this, but seeing as it's appropriate today...

Rita and I are remodeling our house details here: http://www.jordanzimmerman.com/remodel- For our master bath, we've gone for the Bentley of toilets: the NeoRest 500 - http://www.totousa.com/ProductPage.asp?pid=804

Edited by jordanz

Normally I wouldn't talk about this, but seeing as it's appropriate today...

Rita and I are remodeling our house (details here: http://www.jordanzimmerman.com/remodel ). For our master bath, we've gone for the Bentley of toilets: the NeoRest 500 - http://www.totousa.com/ProductPage.asp?pid=804

I fixed the first link.

--Brant

Edited by Brant Gaede

Jordan,

Now that's a throne!

Looks like it will be a beautiful home when completed, too. I hope it lives up to the high standards you have shown in your discriminating taste of essential water closet furnishings.

Speaking of which, it is time to drag out the old story of the Wayside Chapel. (This has been around so long, I don't know who to source.)

THE WAYSIDE CHAPEL

Background:

An English Lady, while visiting Switzerland, was looking for a room and she asked the schoolmaster if he could recommend any. He took her to see several rooms and when everything was settled, the lady returned to her home to make final preparations to move. When she arrived home, the thought suddenly occurred to her that she had not seen a "W.C." (Water Closet; Toilet) around the place.

So she immediately wrote a note to the schoolmaster asking him if there was a "W.C." around. The schoolmaster was a very poor student of English, so he asked the parish priest if he could help him in the matter. Together they tried to discover the meaning of the letters "W.C." and the only solution they could find for the letters was a "Wayside Chapel". The schoolmaster then wrote the following note to the English Lady:

Dear Madam:

I take great pleasure in informing you that the "W.C." is situated nine miles from the house in the center of a beautiful grove of pine trees surrounded by lovely grounds.

It is capable of holding 229 people and it is open on Sundays and Thursdays only. As there are a great number of people expected during the summer months, I would suggest that you come early, although there is usually plenty of standing room. This is an unfortunate situation particularly if you are in the habit of going regularly.

You will, no doubt, be glad to hear that a good number bring their own lunch and make a day of it. While others, who can afford to go by car, arrive just in time. I would especially recommend your Ladyship to go on Thursday when there is an organ accompaniment. The acoustics are excellent, and even the most delicate sounds can be heard everywhere.

It may interest you to know that my daughter was married in the "W.C." and it was there that she met her husband. I can

remember the rush there for seats. There were ten people to a seat usually occupied by one. It was wonderful to see the expressions on their faces.

The newest section is a bell donated by a wealthy resident of the district. It rings every time a person enters. A bazaar is to be held to provide plush seats for all since the people feel that it is a long felt need. My wife is rather delicate so she can't attend regularly. It is almost a year since she went last. Naturally, it pains her very much not to be able to go more often.

I shall be delighted to reserve the best seat for you, if you wish, where you will be seen by all. For the children, there is a special time and place so that they will not disturb the elders.

Hoping to have been of some service to you, I remain,

Sincerely yours,

The Schoolmaster

The Wayside Chapel is famous in the history of TV. It was removed by the NBC censor when Jack Parr was in charge of the Tonight Show and he walked off the show in protest and was gone from it for about two weeks. This happened late in the 50ths and would cause no stir today.