The Guitarist Tunes Up...

xpaddy01

To All:

I've decided to take a deep breath and dive in amongst the Objectivist, my self a converted lifetime "bleeding heart liberal" (although recently I tried to actually figure out what that was and if it really applied to me... Bad time to do so after reading "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead"). I'm still working (or re-working... I read "AS" and "TF" along with much of Ms. Rand's work in the 80s... this time I've added the Branden's works, too) on trying to absorb Objectivism and try to apply it in my own life. I found this site though the wikipedia entry on Barbara Branden and definitely decided to join after reading "The Virtue of Silliness". How could I not?? ;)

Anyway, I'm doing this off the top of my head and on impulse because if I don't a week will go by, which probably tells y'all more about me right off the bat! I do have the feeling I'll be quite comfortable here. ;)

Chat as chat can!

Mark

Welcome aboard, Mark.

That first leap is a problem, isn't it?

I had the same problem just a few short years ago when I started posting for the first time.

You'll be fine. There are many really good smart people around here and I am pretty sure you will make more than a few friends.

btw - ANYBODY who likes "The Virtue of Silliness" is already my friend, sight unseen.

Michael

Welcome aboard, Mark.

That first leap is a problem, isn't it?

I had the same problem just a few short years ago when I started posting for the first time.

You'll be fine. There are many really good smart people around here and I am pretty sure you will make more than a few friends.

btw - ANYBODY who likes "The Virtue of Silliness" is already my friend, sight unseen.

Michael

Thanks very much, Michael! I'll probably spend a lot of time initially just reading. There's a lot here to cover! And TVOS was wonderful because a) I'm a cat person, B) the cat references and puns were brilliant, and c) I'm the "other" romantic (different, I think, from the definition of "romantic" Ayn Rand uses to describe her work and philosophy) who loves a good tale of two souls finally finding one another.

Mark

Mark,

Good to have you on board. Welcome to the Objectivist community. If you have any questions or the like, feel free to ask them. This community is in my experience the most friendly and tolerant Objectivist community on the web, so don't worry about embarassing yourself and getting excommunicated.

The guitarist tunes up? Are you a musician?

• 3 months later...
Mark,

Good to have you on board. Welcome to the Objectivist community. If you have any questions or the like, feel free to ask them. This community is in my experience the most friendly and tolerant Objectivist community on the web, so don't worry about embarassing yourself and getting excommunicated.

The guitarist tunes up? Are you a musician?

Sorry for not answering this sooner. It was rude of me! Yes, I am a guitarist, which covers a lot of ground electrically and acoustically!

Welcome, Mark!

Oooh! Another guitar player! Acoustic and electronica... Does that mean you like both kinds of music (country, AND western :) ?

How long have you been playing? I've been playing for 32 years, still do rock bands, record, write.

You will surely enjoy your time here. There are so many versatile, talented folk to meet. And they're nice, too.

Just avoid conversations about air conducting. Well, no...go ahead, that's good too.

Best,

Rich

Welcome, Mark!

Oooh! Another guitar player! Acoustic and electronica... Does that mean you like both kinds of music (country, AND western :) ?

How long have you been playing? I've been playing for 32 years, still do rock bands, record, write.

You will surely enjoy your time here. There are so many versatile, talented folk to meet. And they're nice, too.

Just avoid conversations about air conducting. Well, no...go ahead, that's good too.

Best,

Rich

Thank you, Rich!

Country AND Western, along with a little bit of Eastern work just fine in my world! I'm primarily a rock guitarist who's been playing for over 40 years, but just recently back on electric (since Sep. 2004) with my beloved Strat. I'm still trying to get back in the game.

Nice is good! I think we've had about 30 years of nasty to last us a couple of life times!!

Well, we have to include "air conducting" as it's what we guitarists, do! Unless you're referring to the air guitarist version for conductors.. wanna see my Leonard Bernstein!! I also do a great Michael Tillson-Thomas for only being 5'7-1/2"!! :)

Chat as chat can!

Mark