Redistribution: Public and Private

BaalChatzaf

When a government redistributes income, it is called the politics of compassion. When an individual redistributes income or wealth it is often theft. The only proper redistribution of income or wealth is the redistribution of -one's own- income or wealth. This is better known as charity or philanthropy. Anyone who gives away money or assets that they do not own is a thief.

It looks like Obama is trying to become the dusky version of Robin Hood. If so, then I am rooting for the Sheriff of Notingham.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Baal, you make an interesting point -- which Rand made to me when I first met her. We were discussing politics, and I said that I saw no reason why the government should not take some of the money from those who were wealthy and give it to the poor. She said, "Tell me, Barbara, do you believe that you, personally, have the right to pick my pocket and give my money to someone else?" I answered,"Of course not! I'm not a thief." She asked, "Then why do you believe the government has the right to pick my pocket for you? " It was as if a thousand light bulbs went on, and I was converted to capitalism from that moment on. Everything I subsequently learned about morality and politics was essentially gravy.

Barbara

It is quite possible to advance a libertarian reading of Robin Hood. After all, the government at the time (a parasitic elite aristocracy funded by taxation) was taxing the poor in the first place, and giving the money to the nobles who produced nothing. In the context of the feudalist economic structure within which Robin Hood takes place, stealing tax money back and returning it to the people that paid the taxes in the first place is perfectly consistent with classical liberalism.

I concede though, this reading of Robin Hood isn't a frequently advanced one.

Studiokadent; My reading of the scene on page 532 in Atlas between Reardan and Danneskjold, Danneskjold first say that Robin Hood was an opponent of a thieving government. Danneskjold then say that is not story that has come down to us.

I would observe that the movies and TV shows about Robin Hood all seem to emphasize taking from the rich and giving to the poor.

Baal, you make an interesting point -- which Rand made to me when I first met her. We were discussing politics, and I said that I saw no reason why the government should not take some of the money from those who were wealthy and give it to the poor. She said, "Tell me, Barbara, do you believe that you, personally, have the right to pick my pocket and give my money to someone else?" I answered,"Of course not! I'm not a thief." She asked, "Then why do you believe the government has the right to pick my pocket for you? " It was as if a thousand light bulbs went on, and I was converted to capitalism from that moment on. Everything I subsequently learned about morality and politics was essentially gravy.

Barbara

A good transition. You went from tender-hearted to hard-headed in a flash, with Ms. Rand's help. Some people never make that trip at all. I made that trip spontaneously all by myself when I was around twenty five years old. At that time I had not read anything by Ayn Rand.

At that age I also formulated my own system; Reality Lite.

1. There is an Out There out there.

2. We have sufficient wits to understand enough of what is Out There to survive.

3. There are no contradictions in reality. If one encounters a seeming contradiction, apply Modus Tolens.

That is as much metaphysical and epistemological baggage as I wish to carry.

Ba'al Chatzaf