Glenn Beck joins Fox News

Glenn Beck joins Fox News

Michael Calderone's Blog

October 16, 2008

I normally don't comment on this kind of thing, but if you have ever watched CNN's other center-to-liberal shows, then watched Glenn Beck, you wonder what on earth he is doing on that channel on prime time. His move to Fox will be welcome since he will be able to interact on the air with the other commentators, which he does not do at CNN.

Glenn is probably the closest to Objectivist political ideals in the mainstream. He is in a gloom and doom phase right now, but I always enjoy watching him.

From the article:

... Fox News has announced that conservative radio and television host Glenn Beck is joining the network, leaving behind CNN's Headline News. Beck will host a show at 5 p.m. on Fox beginning in the spring (Full release after the jump).

It hasn't yet been determined when Beck's last day will be, but I've heard from a network source that Headline News was already preparing to re-air "Lou Dobbs Tonight" at 9pm, instead of Beck's show (which first airs at 7pm). When Beck leaves, Dobbs show will be in the 9pm slot, but no decision on 7pm.

Michael

It's not about "being alongside" anybody. This is like saying that Rand should not have had Random House publish Atlas Shrugged because they had published other authors she disagreed with.

It's about who signs his pay checks. If he wants to keep his job, he will have to kiss up to Rupert Murdoch.

Will Glenn Beck still be Glenn Beck? That's the question.

Chris,

I haven't seen Murdoch temper people like Hannity or O'Reilly. I just saw the other day a soft-spoken person I really enjoyed: Neil Cavuto. In his interview, he looked like a wuss, but totally demolished oversimplified arguments with simple soft-spoken statements like, "No it isn't."

After viewing all the talking heads on the different channels screaming at each other all the time or issuing sanctimonious "expert" speculations, it was kind of funny to see the impact of that on a person winding up for attack mode. It's like watching a balloon suddenly deflate. I have seen this several times since and I really like it.

I think Glenn is going to be fine and in great company.

Michael

Chris,

I haven't seen Murdoch temper people like Hannity or O'Reilly. I just saw the other day a soft-spoken person I really enjoyed: Neil Cavuto. In his interview, he looked like a wuss, but totally demolished oversimplified arguments with simple soft-spoken statements like, "No it isn't."

After viewing all the talking heads on the different channels screaming at each other all the time or issuing sanctimonious "expert" speculations, it was kind of funny to see the impact of that on a person winding up for attack mode. It's like watching a balloon suddenly deflate. I have seen this several times since and I really like it.

I think Glenn is going to be fine and in great company.

I believe Cavuto suffers from MS, which explains why he is sometimes absent. He has a half hour show on FOX 07:30PT Saturday morning. He must be on the Fox business channel. I don't get that. I don't know if he still does his hour weekday show "Cavuto On Business."

--Brant

Michael: "I just saw the other day a soft-spoken person I really enjoyed: Neil Cavuto. In his interview, he looked like a wuss, but totally demolished oversimplified arguments with simple soft-spoken statements like, 'No it isn't.'"

I agree. Cavuto is a remarkable man. He does not often get angry, but when he does, he is gentler than ever-- and absolutely withering.

Yes, Brant, he still does his hour-long weekday show, and he's very rarely absent.

Barbara