Manning's Fierce Prayer for Bristol Palin

I will to explain the humor I see in this. I know a joke isn't funny once you explain it, but this is just too rich and on target to pass for misunderstanding.

This is not something about racism or any form of bigotry. (God knows I am not a racist. I have a payaast... :) ) Nor is it against homosexuals or, for that matter, is it even playing dirty politics.

It is a comedy of manners.

When I was involved with the black community, they had a concept called "playing the dozens," which meant insulting someone's family, usually someone's mother. Playing the dozens was considered the worst insult possible and I don't know how many people have literally been killed for doing that.

Next, is something I remember from growing up around Coeburn, Virginia (a small coal mining town). I never saw a hog butchered, but my father talked about it often. They used to kill hogs with a sledgehammer upside the head. If the person delivering the blow was not accurate, you would have a seriously pissed off pig with a migraine and everybody had to go up a tree until he calmed down. That meant everybody: man, woman, child, hero, villain and coward.

Now here we had a situation where the mainstream press operating on connotation, innuendo and snooty "above-it-allness" tried to do a lowlife smear of Palin for political campaigning reasons while pretending it was just reporting the facts. Instead of hitting the mark, they got this animal in front of them hollering, "Haaay! Haaay! You wanna play the dozens? LET'S GET DOWN AN' DUHTY!"

:)

In this diatribe Pastor Manning offended liberals, conservatives, white folks, black folks, homosexuals, teenagers, and probably Satanists and practitioners of bestiality. I know everyone went up a tree until he settled down. I would have to check when that thing came out, but I remember the mainstream press suddenly going from hot to cold on Bristol Palin's pregnancy.

What I find hilarious is seeing all those people with their hypocrisy exposed sitting in a tree, not knowing when the hog's headache is going to go away.

Moral of the story. If you are going to use a sledge-hammer on a hog, make sure you kill it.

Michael

I will to explain the humor I see in this. I know a joke isn't funny once you explain it, but this is just too rich and on target to pass for misunderstanding.

This is not something about racism or any form of bigotry. (God knows I am not a racist. I have a payaast... :) ) Nor is it against homosexuals or, for that matter, is it even playing dirty politics.

It is a comedy of manners.

When I was involved with the black community, they had a concept called "playing the dozens," which meant insulting someone's family, usually someone's mother. Playing the dozens was considered the worst insult possible and I don't know how many people have literally been killed for doing that.

Next, is something I remember from growing up around Coeburn, Virginia (a small coal mining town). I never saw a hog butchered, but my father talked about it often. They used to kill hogs with a sledgehammer upside the head. If the person delivering the blow was not accurate, you would have a seriously pissed off pig with a migraine and everybody had to go up a tree until he calmed down. That meant everybody: man, woman, child, hero, villain and coward.

Now here we had a situation where the mainstream press operating on connotation, innuendo and snooty "above-it-allness" tried to do a lowlife smear of Palin for political campaigning reasons while pretending it was just reporting the facts. Instead of hitting the mark, they got this animal in front of them hollering, "Haaay! Haaay! You wanna play the dozens? LET'S GET DOWN AN' DUHTY!"

:)

In this diatribe Pastor Manning offended liberals, conservatives, white folks, black folks, homosexuals, teenagers, and probably Satanists and practitioners of bestiality. I know everyone went up a tree until he settled down. I would have to check when that thing came out, but I remember the mainstream press suddenly going from hot to cold on Bristol Palin's pregnancy.

What I find hilarious is seeing all those people with their hypocrisy exposed sitting in a tree, not knowing when the hog's headache is going to go away.

Moral of the story. If you are going to use a sledge-hammer on a hog, make sure you kill it.

Michael

You are entirely wrong, Michael.

That explanation MADE the joke!

= Mindy