Hello

Nehaita

My name is indian and I had no idea that India is #2 in the Ayn Rand searches. It actually makes me really happy to know that. Also, who is #1? is it US or some other country?

I use to mainly talk to my best friend about Ayn Rand and objectivism but he moved to NYC and, obviously, we can not have long philosophical conversations on the phone or online. This is why I am looking for another outlet. As most of you probably already know, it is very hard to find people who actually have read Ayn Rand and like it. So, I really look forward to talking with all of you.

Neha

PS I read Atals Shrugged and loved it. Now, I am reading the Fountainhead and I think I actually might like it better than Atlas Shrugged. Also, has anyone here read the Terry Goodkind series?

My name is indian and I had no idea that India is #2 in the Ayn Rand searches. It actually makes me really happy to know that. Also, who is #1? is it US or some other country?

I use to mainly talk to my best friend about Ayn Rand and objectivism but he moved to NYC and, obviously, we can not have long philosophical conversations on the phone or online. This is why I am looking for another outlet. As most of you probably already know, it is very hard to find people who actually have read Ayn Rand and like it. So, I really look forward to talking with all of you.

Neha

PS I read Atals Shrugged and loved it. Now, I am reading the Fountainhead and I think I actually might like it better than Atlas Shrugged. Also, has anyone here read the Terry Goodkind series?

Yes! Terry's books are phenomenal! His books were my introduction to Objectivism. I'd be more than happy to correspond on his books :) I've read all of his titles and anxiously await his series with Sam Raimi.

Welcome to OL!

~ Shane

Hi, Neha. I like the screen name Hallow. How did you pick it?

I am curious, is there a thread here about how people first found Rand? I actually had an ex-friend who had heard of her through the band Rush. (To think Rand c onsidered suing them!) He had been a close friend in seveth grade, and then had turned some friends against me in eighth grade, ostensibly because I was Catholic, but I think really due to personal issues of his. He one day between classes at highschool simply came up to me and tossed The Virtue of Selfishness at me. I don't know if it was an attack, or an attempt at apology. Any way, it was the nicest mean thing anyone ever did to me! I was 16, and had never heard of her, In one week I had read all her non-fiction except ItOE, and was hooked, and an outright atheist.

I love the Terry Goodkind books with a passion. My boyfriend actually introduced me to them. I must admit that I have not yet read the last book. I want to re-read the whole series before reading the last book.

I have the Virtue of Selfishness and The objectivist Epistomology. The next book I was planning on reading was The Omnious Parallels. Somebody above refrenced to Objectivism being a life choice. I have actually been thinking about it a lot lately. People have always told me that I ask too many questions. Since I actually started reading and thinking about Rand/Objectivism, my questions have changed drastically. For example, before my questions would be vague and most of the time when I realized that someone was getting weird I would make a joke or something- so they would feel comfortable. Now, however, I don't stop or give them an easy way out of the conversation. I ask questions which demand my listeners to think and answer carefully. The sad part is that because of where, I get responses like "What i don't want to think right now" or something along those lines. Luckily, I have some good friends who I can go and actually have a decent conversation with.

On the lighter side, the name hallow is from 2 things 1) Harry Potter obviously (now I feel like a huge dork :rolleyes: ) 2) The root for the word halloween. I thought it was different, and my boyfriend actually helped me with it as well.

Neha

Hi, Neha. I like the screen name Hallow. How did you pick it?

I am curious, is there a thread here about how people first found Rand? I actually had an ex-friend who had heard of her through the band Rush. (To think Rand c onsidered suing them!) He had been a close friend in seveth grade, and then had turned some friends against me in eighth grade, ostensibly because I was Catholic, but I think really due to personal issues of his. He one day between classes at highschool simply came up to me and tossed The Virtue of Selfishness at me. I don't know if it was an attack, or an attempt at apology. Any way, it was the nicest mean thing anyone ever did to me! I was 16, and had never heard of her, In one week I had read all her non-fiction except ItOE, and was hooked, and an outright atheist.

Out of curisoty, how old are you now?

Neha

Objectivism has had the same life-changing effect on me as well. I want to be a writer when I grow up (after I retire from service in just under 5 years). As it so happens, I've gone through a lot of rethinking of my story ideas and themes. Good thing I didn't write a bunch down :)

~ Shane

P.S. I think you'll really enjoy the last book. But of them all, Faith of the Fallen was my personal favorite.

Welcome!

This is a great place, great hosts. You'll see...

I don't think there was ever a dedicated thread about how people first discovered Rand (was there, MSK?), but it's been discussed on and off...

For the longest time I, too, said I preferred The Fountainhead over Atlas, but now I'm not sure.

Anyway, I read Atlas first. I finished it in two weeks (and finished nothing else as far as real world responsibilities), then went right to The Fountainhead.

Atlas was given to me by this very eccentric guitarist. He was put in our band against my wishes, and I didn't like him very much for many reasons, although he was well-read, talented, and such. But he was a real pain--he used to argue with me about how to rinse dishes, and he would leave essays at my door.

He gave me Atlas, and Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason" at the same time, and I read them both at once.

This explains a lot about my twisted behavior--that's just too much contrast for a young fellow.

Edited by Rich Engle