Brazilians elected a.....DONKEY?

Michael,

As a former resident of Brazil, perhaps you can confirm or deny a story that was reported "somewhere" in the U.S. media a number of years ago (maybe as early as the sixties):

In an election in one of the Brazilian provinces, the electorate was so disgusted with the candidates that were running for a particular office, that they performed the "ultimate insult" to the politician class - they elected an ass (no, not the normal kind of political ass... a real ass, ie donkey or mule).

Of course, if that really happened, I'm sure that the results of the election were cancelled, as politicians do not have a good sense of humor - particularly about themselves! But what I want is the real scoop: a true story, or an "urban legend?"

And if true,...can we get these Brazilians to arrange the same, here?

Already done, with no assistance from Brazil. See the LA Times story on animal mayors of US towns:

Four-legged mayors

Some towns are going to the dogs; others have gotten their goats. In the 2003 mayoral election in the rural Riverside County town of Anza, a 200-pound goat named Opie beat out three human opponents. No election was held in 2004, and Opie has since been put out to pasture. But at least one goat, a donkey and two dogs are currently serving as mayors.

Jerry,

I am not sure, but I will look into it. It is possible for someone to goof on people down there, but I seriously doubt an entire city in the interior could be mobilized to do such a thing.

They did have a soap-opera called O Bem Amado ("I Love Sucupira" is the name given in English) that lampooned the bad moral quality of politicians.

The corrupt mayor of a small town (Sucupira) wants badly to inaugurate the new cemetery, but no one has died recently for him to be able to do so. He goes around trying to get a recently deceased person. He convinces one person to stage suicide, and he maliciously tries to encourage others to die or be killed for real, but each time he is not successful. As his frustration increases, he finally hires a gunman to come to town and kill someone, anyone. One faction of the opposition is a person involved with local "deity religion." He starts miraculously curing the sick and otherwise saving lives as the mayor gets more and more irrational. Finally the gunman gets fed up and kills the mayor himself. Thus the mayor finally gets to inaugurate the Sucupira cemetery, but not in the manner he imagined.

This was hugely popular around the time I went to Brazil (early 1970's). I personally like the ending for politicians in general.

:)

Michael

Jerry,

I am not sure, but I will look into it. It is possible for someone to goof on people down there, but I seriously doubt an entire city in the interior could be mobilized to do such a thing.

They did have a soap-opera called O Bem Amado ("I Love Sucupira" is the name given in English) that lampooned the bad moral quality of politicians.

The corrupt mayor of a small town (Sucupira) wants badly to inaugurate the new cemetery, but no one has died recently for him to be able to do so. He goes around trying to get a recently deceased person. He convinces one person to stage suicide, and he maliciously tries to encourage others to die or be killed for real, but each time he is not successful. As his frustration increases, he finally hires a gunman to come to town and kill someone, anyone. One faction of the opposition is a person involved with local "deity religion." He starts miraculously curing the sick and otherwise saving lives as the mayor gets more and more irrational. Finally the gunman gets fed up and kills the mayor himself. Thus the mayor finally gets to inaugurate the Sucupira cemetery, but not in the manner he imagined.

This was hugely popular around the time I went to Brazil (early 1970's). I personally like the ending for politicians in general.

:)

Michael

Michael,

Interesting soap opera. However, I am relatively sure that the U.S. media reported on an actual Brazilian "donkey election" incident. Unfortunately, I cannot recall the year it was reported (most likely, it was not within the last 20 years). I believe it referred to a local/mayoral election, and not to a Brazilian state election.

Anyway, it appears from the LA story referenced in another post, that animals-being-elected-to-office has also happened here, at least at the local level. These developments may be the best reason yet to validate the concept of "animal rights." ;) Considering the poor human choices available, perhaps there should be a DRAFT LASSIE (or MORRIS. or FLIPPER) drive. :lol: Think of it: who would you rather see in the White House, McCain, Obama OR...Lassie? As V.P., Biden, Sarah Palin OR... "Bullwinkle"?.

I did broach the concept with my Siamese cat - who gave me his best skeptical/reproachful/disgusted look :sick: - and ambled off.

Already done, with no assistance from Brazil. See the LA Times story on animal mayors of US towns:

Four-legged mayors

Some towns are going to the dogs; others have gotten their goats. In the 2003 mayoral election in the rural Riverside County town of Anza, a 200-pound goat named Opie beat out three human opponents. No election was held in 2004, and Opie has since been put out to pasture. But at least one goat, a donkey and two dogs are currently serving as mayors.

And the question should have been, after Opie's first term, "Are you better-off now, then you were before my election?"

The goat would win re-election by a landslide!