The Blumenthals and their music lectures

Barbara, as you know, I've come to admire greatly the music lectures that Alan and Joan Blumenthal gave in the 1970s, and which have been available in cassette (and CD?) form from Laissez Faire Books (and The Objectivist Center/Atlas Society?) for a number of years now.

My question(s): are you still on good terms with the Blumenthals, and do you think they'd be receptive to my approaching them about the possibility of turning my transcriptions of their music lectures into a book? If so, and if so, then would you please email me off-list and send me a US Mail or email address I can use to contact them? Thanks!

Best always,

Roger B.

I had had just this thought a few weeks back. That was an excellent series. But one has to listen to the music, no? Perhaps a book and a CD.

Good suggestion, Ted!

Another possibility: a compilation of (1) the Blumenthal lectures, (2) John Hospers' classical recorded music survey, and (3) Roy Childs' Romantic music reviews. Now, ~that~ would be an exciting book!

REB

Barbara, as you know, I've come to admire greatly the music lectures that Alan and Joan Blumenthal gave in the 1970s, and which have been available in cassette (and CD?) form from Laissez Faire Books (and The Objectivist Center/Atlas Society?) for a number of years now.

My question(s): are you still on good terms with the Blumenthals, and do you think they'd be receptive to my approaching them about the possibility of turning my transcriptions of their music lectures into a book? If so, and if so, then would you please email me off-list and send me a US Mail or email address I can use to contact them? Thanks!

Best always,

Roger B.

Roger, a great idea! I'm on excellent terms with the Blumenthals, but, offhand, I have no idea if they'd want their lectures turned into a book. I'll send you information about contacting them.

Barbara

Best always,

Roger B.

Roger -

Perhaps I'm being a bit slow, but I can't find them available at the Atlas Society bookstore, or at Laissez Faire BOoks. Can you provide a link? I've searched several ways to no avail.

Note added: Laissez Faire confirms they don't carry the lectures, but promise to check on availability. Searches at the Atlas Society don't succeed at locating the lectures, either.

Bill P (Alfonso)

Edited by Bill P

Best always,

Roger B.

Roger -

Perhaps I'm being a bit slow, but I can't find them available at the Atlas Society bookstore, or at Laissez Faire BOoks. Can you provide a link? I've searched several ways to no avail.

Note added: Laissez Faire confirms they don't carry the lectures, but promise to check on availability. Searches at the Atlas Society don't succeed at locating the lectures, either.

Bill P (Alfonso)

Bill, my apology. I cannot find them in either of those places either, and a google search shows very little promise either.

Seems all the more urgent to get this material preserved and disseminated, ~both~ in audio ~and~ in printed form. I'm working on it.

Best,

REB

(snip)

Bill, my apology. I cannot find them in either of those places either, and a google search shows very little promise either.

Seems all the more urgent to get this material preserved and disseminated, ~both~ in audio ~and~ in printed form. I'm working on it.

Best,

REB

Roger -

Thanks. I imagine that if I had a paper (English) dictionary with me here in Shanghai and I looked up indefatigable, I would find your picture next to the entry.

Bill P (Alfonso)

Bill; I agree about Roger. Roger; Thank you for all you are doing to save all this great Objectivist material.

I ordered one of the music lectures given at ARI and while a CD is refereed to, the CD was not provided with your purchase. I hope if music is refereed to in the Blumenthal's lectures you can hear the music refereed to.

I am surprised Laissez Faire has run out the lectures since I was told that they were a good seller.

Bill; I agree about Roger. Roger; Thank you for all you are doing to save all this great Objectivist material.

I ordered one of the music lectures given at ARI and while a CD is refereed to, the CD was not provided with your purchase. I hope if music is refereed to in the Blumenthal's lectures you can hear the music refereed to.

I am surprised Laissez Faire has run out the lectures since I was told that they were a good seller.

I suggest that those interested in the Blumenthal music lectures contact Laissez Faire BOok Service (the new ownership at laissezfairebooks@gmail.com). It couldn't hurt to have the sense of quite a few people who are interested.

Of course, if someone knows the Blumenthals don't want them to be available, let us know. If that's the case, there's not much point in asking...

Bill P (Alfonso)

Edited by Bill P