Honoring History, our troops and our people on Memorial Day

Morning folks:

I love the spirit and meaning of this country. This particular site is digitized and encourages all citizens to add to the panoply of our history. Just the digitized Vietnam War memorial, which devastated me as I walked it for the first time in 2001 [i had been avoiding it for over a decade], is worth joining for. It is free, but there is a paid/premium section for I think 59.95 per year, or a little over a 1.25 per week.

You can click on any name and get their basic service record, e.g., the first name on the wall is Alba, Jessie, C., gives his DOB, home town, casualty date, death date, unit etc. You can then spotlight the name and add up to 250 words. For example, a woman spotlighted the fact that a particular soldier on the wall was her first kiss and first love at 13, he was dead at 19, another wonderful Marine who did his personal duty with honor and dignity.

You can upload pictures for any part of our history. Some of the Civil War family photos are stunning. For example, there is a digitized photo of the Muster Roll Entry of Melinda AKA "Sam" Blalock who served for two weeks in he 26th North Carolina Infantry, as a man. She pulled her weight until she was found out. Great stuff, so much for women in the military lol. I am adding WWII data/photos from my family as well as some stunning stories.

The site is:

http://www.footnote.com/

I highly recommend this to all.

Adam

Honor our fallen this week, if you see a person in uniform, thank them for their service, please.

Thanks for putting this up Adam. I knew several men killed in Vietnam.

--Brant

Brant:

You are quite welcome, I think many of us do. I am still furious about how those individuals were, and still are, treated without the full respect and gratitude that they are owed.

Adam