Link to appealing site regarding Capitalism

galtgulch

Didn't know capitalism had an effect on the death penalty.

the death penalty is where a majority decide that under certain conditions it is ok to initiate deadly force against a person.

As the site says, capitalism is all about individual rights, so since when do you have the right to initiate force against someone else? It's a basic issue.

the death penalty is where a majority decide that under certain conditions it is ok to initiate deadly force against a person.

As the site says, capitalism is all about individual rights, so since when do you have the right to initiate force against someone else? It's a basic issue.

What, then, is retaliatory force? If there is no such thing, we have a basic problem.

--Brant

Edited by Brant Gaede

What, then, is retaliatory force? If there is no such thing, we have a basic problem.

When you jail someone for murder, you are using retaliatory force (I guess). It seems more like defensive force, but that's my own spur-of-the-moment term. The term 'retaliatory force' sounds like someone hit you, so you hit them back, tit for tat. Maybe that concept includes both the tit for tat and also restraining someone else from initiating force.

Anyway, my point is that imprisonment is sufficient retaliatory force and I think the death penalty edges over into initiation of force, since it's not strictly required in order to achieve of the ostensible goal of keeping the criminal from initiating force again.

Brant's reply reminded me of Bob Lafavre who raised the question whether one could cut the ropes the burgular had tied you with if the burgular brought the rope. It is statements like the above which lead me to say I am not a "Libertarian".