Hello from Melbourne

Timur Hassan

Hi all,

I am a reader of Ayn Rand's books and an all-round inquisitive person. I've joined this forum to exercise my mind and learn more about Philosophy.

I'm a statistician for a Government organisation, I hope this doesn't make me the enemy, I'm bringing it down from the inside I assure you. I'm a passionate drummer and beginner pianist. I'm 23 and fairly new to the study of Philosophy, although I've always been a thinker.

So it's just hi for now and I look foreward to conversing with you.

Timur

Hi all,

I am a reader of Ayn Rand's books and an all-round inquisitive person. I've joined this forum to exercise my mind and learn more about Philosophy.

I'm a statistician for a Government organisation, I hope this doesn't make me the enemy, I'm bringing it down from the inside I assure you. I'm a passionate drummer and beginner pianist. I'm 23 and fairly new to the study of Philosophy, although I've always been a thinker.

Timur

Welcome to Objectivist Living. Come in, make yourself at home, browse around and read.

Alfonso (Bill) - another statistician

Hi all,

Timur

Actually, you might find it fairly interesting, professionally. There are some VERY FOOLISH things which have been said by Objectivists about statistical inference.

Alfonso (Bill)

Timur,

Welcome aboard!

I have no problem with a government employee. Somebody has to do the work. Better an intelligent individualist than a power monger. (I presume, or at least hope, you are an intelligent individualist. If not, welcome anyway! :) )

Make yourself at home.

Michael

I believe I am intelligent and an individualist (conceit!). Long before I heard of Rand I had a sense of the arbitrary nature of people around me, their unwillingness to question, their haste to jump the the conclusion that knowledge on certain matters is not possible and their attitude that self abasement is "good". My first exposure to Rand was the Donahue interview on youtube. I couldn't get over the fact that a person can have such conviction and lucidity about a broad range of important topics and express herself so courageously. Of course, being a woman, this made her even more impressive as in most if not all cultures, feminity seems to be characterized by meekness. At first it didn't matter what was being said, just that something was being said. I then went on to listen to The Virtue of Selfishness audiobook and was hooked with the ideas themselves! I've read much more since then, including Atlas, Fountainhead, Capitalism, New Intellectual, Anthem, Objectivist Epistemology.

Thanks for the warm welcomes so far.

Edited by Timur Hassan